• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,027 posts in this topic

This is a great looking 8.0 from the scan -- gorgeous spine for such a dark cover.

TOS18.jpg

Book is impossible in grade + this is the HGC. Also features a rare grey monster, instead of all the orange + brown creatures that seem to dominate.

Nice book!

KRAA is actually a pretty good story..Psst. Its really a HULK prototype tale.

Hey Adam,

What exactly did you mean by Ditko using the "feathering" technique? I dont belive I have heard that before.

thanks,

Bill

This is a great looking 8.0 from the scan -- gorgeous spine for such a dark cover.

TOS18.jpg

Book is impossible in grade + this is the HGC. Also features a rare grey monster, instead of all the orange + brown creatures that seem to dominate.

I'm...speechless... :o

TOS18.jpg

Almost impossible :shy:

TOS18.jpg

Hey Adam,

What exactly did you mean by Ditko using the "feathering" technique? I dont belive I have heard that before.

thanks,

Bill

Here's an example that includes detailed cross-hatching and the use of zip-a-tone (behind the first and third explosion). The uniform thickness of the lines makes me think that it was done with pen rather than a brush.

TOS9_Ditko_dtl1.jpg

Feathering is a technique where individual lines extend from a solid inked line or area and are used to indicate a part of an object as being in the twilight -- neither fully in the shador nor fully in the light. If you look at the first chin below the lip, this technique creates something that looks like half of a feather.

TOS9_Ditko_dtl2.jpg

TOS9_Ditko.jpg

These are techniques he used in later stories, just not to the extent he did in the 50s. Most folks are more familiar with his Spidey stories and you can see the simplification in the origin from AF 15.

AF15_Ditko.jpg

Very interesting...I just learned something today. It is interesting how these techniques are very previlent in Ditko's detailed work (his pre-hero Atlas, his early Charlton stories come to mind).

Flipping through the TTA18, there is a wonderful robot story that makes use of this technique ... with Ditko's signature over-sized drops of water dripping off the robot has he enters a flooded mine.

Do you follow Blake Bell's very informative "Ditko Looked Up" blog? You have to be careful on that site, or you could get a "Ditko overload"!

As much as I love these pre-hero Lee/Ditko stories, I often wonder what would have been the results if Ditko had gone to work for EC...

Bill

with Ditko's signature over-sized drops of water dripping off the robot has he enters a flooded mine.

Ditko and Eisner both lover the water droplets!

Do you follow Blake Bell's very informative "Ditko Looked Up" blog? You have to be careful on that site, or you could get a "Ditko overload"!
I haven't gone out there lately but I have read the book and met Blake on a couple occasions.

As much as I love these pre-hero Lee/Ditko stories, I often wonder what would have been the results if Ditko had gone to work for EC...
Hard to say. Ditko didn't like a lot of editorial interference and Feldstein had the pages/panels pre-defined and lettered. Lots of artists were okay with that but you would have been unlikely to get something like the Shadow creature story from TOS #7 with those restrictions.

TOS18.jpg

Almost impossible :shy:

TOS18.jpg

Niiiiicccceeee!! :takeit:

My sister had this piece of OA + the comic it came from(JIM#67 P.5) matted + framed for my birthday :cloud9:(worship)

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

You have one heck of a sweet sister! :applause:

Thank you gentlemen!! :acclaim: And the pictures don't do it justice, it looks amazing. My sister's great + really appreciates the hobby. She came with me to the NYCC this year + we went to the panel for the show "the Fringe" which she assures me is great, though I've yet to see it. Her real collecting focus is designer handbags + there are all kinds of parallels to our hobby. There's even a consignment site to sell off the bags she doesn't want anymore!! And yes, I've bought her a few too!!

Thank you gentlemen!! :acclaim: And the pictures don't do it justice, it looks amazing. My sister's great + really appreciates the hobby. She came with me to the NYCC this year + we went to the panel for the show "the Fringe" which she assures me is great, though I've yet to see it. Her real collecting focus is designer handbags + there are all kinds of parallels to our hobby. There's even a consignment site to sell off the bags she doesn't want anymore!! And yes, I've bought her a few too!!

Congrats! That's a fabulous piece. Looks fantastic!

BTW, what's the consignment site for bags? hm Perhaps I can move some of my wife's bags and turn it into comic money. :acclaim: