• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

I need a nice # 1, but its kind of pricey. I had a habit of writing on the backing board where I bought the book and the price. I bought the A.A. # 2 at the Chicago Con on 7/2/88. Paid a whopping $ 25.00. Those were the days. Stacks of them on the dealers tables back then.

DRX

I need a nice # 1, but its kind of pricey. I had a habit of writing on the backing board where I bought the book and the price. I bought the A.A. # 2 at the Chicago Con on 7/2/88. Paid a whopping $ 25.00. Those were the days. Stacks of them on the dealers tables back then.

DRX

:o Yeah...the good ole days...sigh...

This still remains my favorite thread.

Korvac, can you post a picture of your JIM #1? I saw it listed in your registry set.

A nice solid copy, though the upgrade bug has been nagging :insane:

JIM1.jpg

lol Just thinking about all the young males wishing those were their hands when this first came out.

The woman is Russ Heath's first wife, "enhanced" as he put it.

lol Great story!

So, did she approve or is that why she was the 'first' wife?

DRX

:o Yeah...the good ole days...sigh...

Now that you've said that, I have to get out the big guns...

aa_01.jpg

aa_02.jpg

aa_03.jpg

aa_04.jpg

aa_05.jpg

aa_06.jpg

CCF08032009_00000-1.jpg

Heres one i just thought Id post. A little different from the monster covers.

DRX

Very cool, first time seeing this one!

Thanks, this was another book that I bought at a local con for about $15.00, at least twenty-five years ago. I think the colors on this book are really nice, especially the blue despite the corner creases. Glad you like it.

DRX

Oh we like it alright...sell it to me and then it will be my book... :baiting:

My books are the like the old commercials for the Roach Motel. "Once they check in, they dont check out". lol

DRX

lol I was just thinking of that commercial the other day when I saw a 4 inch roach :o on the ground in Brooklyn!! Maybe the offspring of one of our beloved beasts?!?!? hm

Sometimes the tell-tale WM date is a stamp on the inside covers...take the splash from Strange Tales #95 as an example:

ST_95_splash.jpg

I would go so far as to say that some of them dont even have a stamp or pen mark of any kind...But I will leave that to the resident WM gurus to determine.

Bill

Strange Tales #67.

First Ditko/Kirby in Strange Tales. Always wanted this issue.

ST-067-85rosland.jpg

WOW...you never see that issue...VERY COOL! :headbang:

Beautiful copy!

Strange Tales #67.

First Ditko/Kirby in Strange Tales. Always wanted this issue.

ST-067-85rosland.jpg

WOW...you never see that issue...VERY COOL! :headbang:

Beautiful copy!

Nice Joe Sinnott cover! I really like the red title against the white background... stands out very prominently.

The "white background" motif was very popular for Atlas books in the mid-50s. Very few pre-heroes have a white backgrounds -- I guess Stan's color consultants were telling him in the late '50s that brown backgrounds sold better!

A new trio just in. First up is a nice TTA #6 sitting mysteriously in a TOS holder!

Oops CGC!! doh!:baiting:lol

TTA6.jpg

:o

oops...

A new trio just in. First up is a nice TTA #6 sitting mysteriously in a TOS holder!

Oops CGC!! doh!:baiting:lol

TTA6.jpg

:o

oops...

I think I've seen this one for sale in the past.