• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Wow!!!! Those are fantastic #1 books.

My own humble copies...

tta_01.jpg

TOS_01.jpg

These books are not #1's and dont get as much fanfare as the first issues of TOS & TTA, but they are the first pre-hero issues in those titles run:

ST_67.jpg

jim_50.jpg

WOF_16.jpg

...and a couple of #1 issues that just don't get enough respect:

aa_01.jpg

SW_01.jpg

Edited by AtlasFan

Thanks, guys. I suspect that the blue-label grade on these books would be GD/VG. They can’t compare to the amazing specimens many others have shared in this thread – but they’re arguably the most attractive low-grade books you’ll ever see.

:lol:

I was not responsible for the punching. These were among the treasures found at the offices of Eastern Color Printing Company (think Famous Funnies, Heroic Comics, etc), who printed most/all of the comics for Atlas/Marvel during the 1950s and early 1960s. They are true one-of-a-kind file copies – probably initial-run print proofs of some type. Clean, flat, and ultra-glossy with rich colors, razor-sharp edges, poke-your-eye-out corners, balls-on perfect spine registration, and beautiful off-white-ish pages. Aside from the holes (d-oh!), they’re everything I look for in a book. And they were cheap (offered at a significant discount to 1977 Overstreet valuations).

I picked up about 250 Atlas/Marvel books, along with near-complete runs of unpunched Famous Funnies and Heroic (from the warehouse portion of the find). A BangZoom moment, to be sure -- although on a much more modest scale. They're not worth a lot, but they are a great reminder of simpler times.

th_JIM034-EC.jpg th_JIM065-EC.jpg th_ST031-EC.jpg th_ST070-EC.jpg th_ST072-EC.jpg th_ST100-EC.jpg

th_TOS010-EC.jpg th_TOS013-EC.jpg th_TOS034-EC.jpg th_TTA002-EC.jpg th_TTA003-EC.jpg th_TTA032-EC.jpg

Thanks, guys. I suspect that the blue-label grade on these books would be GD/VG. They can’t compare to the amazing specimens many others have shared in this thread – but they’re arguably the most attractive low-grade books you’ll ever see.

I was not responsible for the punching. These were among the treasures found at the offices of Eastern Color Printing Company (think Famous Funnies, Heroic Comics, etc), who printed most/all of the comics for Atlas/Marvel during the 1950s and early 1960s. They are true one-of-a-kind file copies – probably initial-run print proofs of some type. Clean, flat, and ultra-glossy with rich colors, razor-sharp edges, poke-your-eye-out corners, balls-on perfect spine registration, and beautiful off-white-ish pages. Aside from the holes (d-oh!), they’re everything I look for in a book. And they were cheap (offered at a significant discount to 1977 Overstreet valuations).

I picked up about 250 Atlas/Marvel books, along with near-complete runs of unpunched Famous Funnies and Heroic (from the warehouse portion of the find). A BangZoom moment, to be sure -- although on a much more modest scale. They're not worth a lot, but they are a great reminder of simpler times.

th_JIM034-EC.jpg th_JIM065-EC.jpg th_ST031-EC.jpg th_ST070-EC.jpg th_ST072-EC.jpg th_ST100-EC.jpg

th_TOS010-EC.jpg th_TOS013-EC.jpg th_TOS034-EC.jpg th_TTA002-EC.jpg th_TTA003-EC.jpg th_TTA032-EC.jpg

If you ever want to sell any for G/VG prices, let me know! lol

Beautiful books :cloud9:

Love them!!!!! :luhv:

Great books!!!! Everytime I see a ST #72 though, I get sick to my stomach...I sold a beautiful copy of that book and have NEVER forgiven myself for that...the best copy of that issue I have ever seen....and probably the best in existence.... doh!

All I have in Photobucket is a repeat. :sorry:

JIM81.jpg

# 13 has " METALLO on the cover. # 16 is "KLAGG. I dont have those issues in Photobucket. I'm sure someone does though.

DRX

13 is the ELEKTRO I posted... :makepoint:

KLAGG is #21...but I'm pretty sure he's an alien...don't have time to pull the book tonite...if KLAGG is a robot I stand corrected...(can't seem to remember that story... :frustrated: )

TALESOFSUSPENSE21VG.jpg

Edited by trmoore54