• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,038 posts in this topic

It seems like Heritage has been selling a steady flow of nice pre-hero Marvels lately. The strange thing is that most of these have been getting a $350 dollar bid within the first 24 hours. :frustrated: A TTA 5 , 8.5 is set up for a future auction and it looks real nice.

Hopefully a TTA 28 comes up soon. :cloud9: But I doubt it.

Are you referring to the TTA #7 8.5 in the May Signature Auction?

That's why he has that killer TTA set in the registry. (thumbs u

I would really like to know their print runs (Pre-Hero) prior to FF #1. It's obvious by the census that it must have been really low. But a solid figure would be nice to hear. I was told at one time CBG listed print runs but I have yet to see this info float around.

I wonder how much longer Stan Lee would have kept going with the Monster and Western titles without the birth of JLA, excluding Marvel's financial pinch during that era. hm

Edited by crimson dynamo

I would really like to know their print runs (Pre-Hero) prior to FF #1. It's obvious by the census that it must have been really low. But a solid figure would be nice to hear. I was told at one time CBG listed print runs but I have yet to see this info float around.

I wonder how much longer Stan Lee would have kept going with the Monster and Western titles without the birth of JLA, excluding Marvel's financial pinch during that era. hm

Some issues had the ownership statements listing sales figures...they usually fluctuated between 135,000 and 170,000. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Low numbers in the census are generally attributed to the fact that most surviving copies are VG+ and lower and sell for about the same price slabbed or unslabbed, so slabbing is just not cost effective.

Average monthly paid circulation (print run would be about double) in 1960:

Tales to Astonish 163,156

Tales of Suspense 148,929

Kid Colt Outlaw 144,746

These are Marvel's Big Three for that year (at least for the books that reported circulation.)

Here's the source: Yearly Comic Sales

Fantastic copies, KS. :applause: I wonder if adamstrange would like to improve my HOM run? I could really use a super-sweet #85. hm
Got a spare kidney? :popcorn:

Just got this decent copy of a tough 1959 Pre Hero. It was always one of my favorite covers....giant pink monster, hot space chick....this one has what I believe is the only Kirby Pre Hero story to feature a female protagonist. GOD BLESS...

strangetworlds3.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

Just got this decent copy of a tough 1959 Pre Hero. It was always one of my favorite covers....giant pink monster, hot space chick....this one has what I believe is the only Kirby Pre Hero story to feature a female protagonist. GOD BLESS...

strangetworlds3.jpg

Cool book! :headbang:

strangetworlds3.jpg

Nice one Jim!! Always cool to see one I hadn't seen before. Also has to be one of the only pink monster covers.

It's a cool book....it jumped out at me in the Photo Journals years ago, back when I was looking at all the Pre Heros I'd never seen....been casually looking for a decent copy for years. It's got 1 Ditko, 2 Kirbys, 1 Buscema, and 1 Sinnot. The Strange Worlds were Stan's first new title in the "Marvel Age". They're all tough as nails in 8.0 or better....and comparitively speaking, not quite as expensive as the "Big 4" of the Pre Hero world. The Strange Worlds are a little different than the rest....a little more Sci-Fi adventure. The concepts for the FF were obviously swirling around in Stan and Jack's minds back then. GOD BLESS...

strangetworlds3.jpg

Nice one Jim!! Always cool to see one I hadn't seen before. Also has to be one of the only pink monster covers.

Since you mentioned it...here are a couple of "pink pussycat" Marvel monsters...

aa_02.jpg

WOF_19.jpg