• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,036 posts in this topic

Heres a great Kirby cover and story from 1961. Tales to Astonish #23 September 61.

TTA_23HG.jpg

If only Moomba had been a yoga instructor, instead of being intent on world domination. (shrug)

TTA_23SP.jpg

MOOMBA's favorite dance is, what else, ...the Momba!

006-3.jpg

Man that is frickin' sweet!! Didn't Monstrollo have his own candy bar once? :baiting:

Bob, did you have a copy graded or bought it already graded?

Freshly graded in Chicago last weekend. I picked this up raw from Ted VanLiew (Superworld) at C2E2 in Chicago last April. For the sake of disclosure it was pressed onsite by Joey. It is staying in my personal collection.

006-3.jpg

Man that is frickin' sweet!! Didn't Monstrollo have his own candy bar once? :baiting:

Freshly graded in Chicago last weekend. I picked this up raw from Ted VanLiew (Superworld) at C2E2 in Chicago last April. For the sake of disclosure it was pressed onsite by Joey. It is staying in my personal collection.

As it should. (thumbs u What grade did Ted give it?

006-3.jpg

As it should. (thumbs u What grade did Ted give it?

I don't believe Ted gives a grade, just a price ?

I already posted these in the thread in General but couldn't resist the double post because I am still :cloud9:. These two have always been nemesis books for me. I once owned a G/VG reader of #9 but sold it like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person in the early days of eBay when I had given up on pursuing the AA/AAF run because it was just too tough when all I had was one show a year to attend and no real budget to spend. I haven't ever owned a copy of #13, and IMO it may be the best cover of the entire SA and could compete for the overall title.

(Plus I may as well get these in before all the other pre-hero beauties close tomorrow!)

RAD7641C201163_103219.jpg

RAD746B5201184_17511.jpg

In case you are wondering (as was I), that white spot in the black area of the dock on the #13 is not actually on the book. I called for notes and it is not mentioned so I am guessing something stuck to the slab for the scan.

Edited by mysterio

Those 2 AAF's were hammered by CGC.....I'd be thrilled to have either as 8.0's.....great snag. As far as Ted goes.....doesn't list a grade on the book itself...but you can find his grade if you go to his website. I picked up a JIM 56 at the Baltimore show with water damage on the right edge but otherwise a BEAUTIFUL book. My friend may be getting it from me for 150. It has a cool Kirby story I'd never seen. I don't know what it would grade as. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

scan0010-5.jpg

Fabulous books, mysterio! Those are my two favorite covers of the title and I commented to a friend that had sold for very reasonable prices.

Fabulous books, mysterio! Those are my two favorite covers of the title and I commented to a friend that had sold for very reasonable prices.

Thanks! I'm still pinching myself and can't wait to get them in hand!

So any other winners or losers on the nice batch of pre-hero last night that would like to share? I was top underbidder on a few of the TOS books that I thought I would have no shot at. I didn't really have the money to spend but thought that I would figure something out if the bids came in, and then some were so close I started sweating on the one hand and getting excited on the other. Oh to have an unlimited budget when a choice auction like that rolls around! Still, I can't complain one bit about what I did win.

I already posted these in the thread in General but couldn't resist the double post because I am still :cloud9:. These two have always been nemesis books for me. I once owned a G/VG reader of #9 but sold it like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person in the early days of eBay when I had given up on pursuing the AA/AAF run because it was just too tough when all I had was one show a year to attend and no real budget to spend. I haven't ever owned a copy of #13, and IMO it may be the best cover of the entire SA and could compete for the overall title.

(Plus I may as well get these in before all the other pre-hero beauties close tomorrow!)

RAD7641C201163_103219.jpg

RAD746B5201184_17511.jpg

In case you are wondering (as was I), that white spot in the black area of the dock on the #13 is not actually on the book. I called for notes and it is not mentioned so I am guessing something stuck to the slab for the scan.

AWESOME! :headbang: