• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Got a few more pre-heros back from CGC last week. Here's one of my favorite covers from the batch:

aaf13cgc80ow.jpg

Love this cover! KILLER KOPY! :applause:

I have my first-ever copy of this book in mid-grade on it's way...can't wait to read it! :headbang:

Thanks, I was hoping for a little higher than 8.0, but the number on the case doesn't change the fact that it is a really nice book.

Thanks, I was hoping for a little higher than 8.0, but the number on the case doesn't change the fact that it is a really nice book.

Did you ever call for notes? It looks alot nicer than 8.0 from the scan.

Did you ever call for notes? It looks alot nicer than 8.0 from the scan.

No, it has a tiny tear/crease at the top of the front cover, visible in the scan, very light corner wear and light dust shadowing that isn't quite dark enough to show up in the scan. I've seen books from 7.5-9.0 with similar defects lately, so it is loosely within the expected range. The last four books I called on didn't have any hidden defects, they were just super tightly graded, which is what I figured happened here. I don't know if my grading is just out of practice or what, but my last four submissions have been all over the place. I used to be right on the money for 8.0 or better grades when I was submitting a lot of 60's marvel books, or if I had a question, it would be a two grade range. Now that I'm submitting more prehero and Atlas books, I just can't figure out how to grade stuff, and I am having to live with a four grade range on my estimates. In the old label days, if I missed on the grade it was almost always due to "light stain on every page" that dropped an 8.5 to a 7.0.

A good number of my 8.0+ estimates have been coming back in the 6.0-7.5 range, and none have had hidden defects from the graders. And it isn't just me, two of the 8.0s I got from a fellow boardie (whose grades I thought were fair) came back 6.5s recently. I've also picked up some really nice CGC 7.0s recently, that I'm sure someone else bought as VF or better books.

It makes it hard to figure out what tier to submit at when I can't figure out what is killing the grades on some of my books. Sometimes I think it is pq, then I'll get a 9.0 with cream to off-white pages, a chip out and color rubs at the spine corners. Sometimes I think it is a small stain, then I'll get a pair of 8.5s back with stains. Then I'll think it is a tear, and I'll get a 9.0 back with a tear. Then I'll think it is edge wear and I'll have an 8.5 and a 7.0 both with similar wear and no other visible defects.

It also makes it hard to sell undercopies when they look nicer than your slabbed 8.0 copy, but the label says 7.0 or 7.5, the pq is better and there aren't any "hidden" defects.

Got a few more pre-heros back from CGC last week. Here's one of my favorite covers from the batch:

aaf13cgc80ow.jpg

Love this cover! KILLER KOPY! :applause:

I have my first-ever copy of this book in mid-grade on it's way...can't wait to read it! :headbang:

Definitely on my short list for best prehero cover! :cloud9:Nice book!! :applause:

It's a cool cover, but the way the monster's side is drawn has always bugged me. The flat part on the left looks like it was added as an afterthought.

Just me?

That's an interesting observation...you can see how it could be either way... hm

Damn...now you've got that in my head and it's bugging me now... :makepoint: