• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

TOS #29 has a very interesting cover. I couldn't place the inker, as it obviously wasn't Ayers on Kirby. I went to Atlas Tales TOS#29 Reference where the inker is identified as Ditko. Not easy to tell -- though the inking of the city does resemble the building block style from early Spider-Man.

Dennis

If this has been posted before please redirect but I've always had a question about this books and TTA 27. Keep in mind I've never read either but I thought the story for both was basically the same. If these books came out at the same time and both books don't have a costumed sueprhero, then why is TTA 27 considered the first appearance of Antman? Did they both in powers in TTA 27 and TOS 32? If so, you'd think TOS 32 would get a little more support as a prototype book. Anyway, TTA 27 has never been on my radar but I do recognize how tough it is in high grade. But at any grade its always more than I'd ever be willing to spend.

Ed

TOS #32...this has been posted already but this is a fairly decent copy of this one in the FN range... yay.gifTALESOFSUSPENSE32FN.jpg

TTA 27 is Jan 62, while TTA 35 is Sep 62

TOS 32 is Aug 62

TOS 32 is definitely an imitation of TTA 27 but hard to see how it could have been a competitor for determining what should be the next superhero. Perhaps the TTA 27 issue sold well and they developed a superhero character as a result. Then they decided why not try another bug (Spider-man in AF from Aug 62) and while they are at see if a Bee-based character would work.

ft88...according to Overstreeet guide: Prototype issue - "The Man and the Beehive" story, 1 month before TTA #35 (2nd Antman)...came out after the "The Man in the Ant Hill" TTA #27 (1/62 - 1st Antman). Characters from both stories were "tested" (italics mine) to see which got best fan response (presumably for new Character/Super Hero series).

Similar version/information was expressed earlier in this thread but I don't which page right now. I don't have TTA #27 but read it sometime back in the day...can't remember if plot lines are basically exactly the same (?).

ANYONE?

ft88...according to Overstreeet guide: Prototype issue - "The Man and the Beehive" story, 1 month before TTA #35 (2nd Antman)...came out after the "The Man in the Ant Hill" TTA #27 (1/62 - 1st Antman). Characters from both stories were "tested" (italics mine) to see which got best fan response (presumably for new Character/Super Hero series).

Similar version/information was expressed earlier in this thread but I don't which page right now. I don't have TTA #27 but read it sometime back in the day...can't remember if plot lines are basically exactly the same (?).

ANYONE?

Yeah, to answer your and ft88's questions:

The key thing is that Dr. Pym is the character in TTA 27, and he's reintroduced in TTA 35 in costume as Antman, so TTA is the 1st appearance of the Pym character and the origin of his powers.

Marvel never had a Bee-Man, so although the TOS beehive story is a sort of prototype, it's not the first appearance of an enduring character.

Plot summary from Monster blog:

The Man In The Beehive

History: Secretly born a mutant, millionaire Lucius Farnsworth was able to work near miracles with the power of his brain. Having a way with bees, Farnsworth was the most successful honey producer in the state. One night, Eric (one of Farnsworth's beekeepers) broke into Farnsworth's mansion to rob the safe. Discovering Eric, Farnsworth used his superior mind to overpower him, making him hand over his gun. As punishment, Farnsworth shrunk himself and Eric down to the size of bees. Both entered a beehive, and Farnsworth commanded the bees to terrorize Eric. When he saw that Eric had learned his lesson, to never rob Farnsworth again, Farnsworth returned himself and Eric to normal size, telling Eric that all of the events were just an illusion brought on by a hypnotic trance.

An older, powerless Lucius Farnsworth was threatened by the menace of The Weed, which would have conquered the world if not for Farnsworth's gardener unwittingly destroying it.

Demonstrated Powers: Lucius Farnsworth was a mutant whose brain powers included the ability to shrink himself and others to the size of bees. He could mentally dominate the wills of others, and could also command bees. It is unknown if Farnsworth had any other psionic abilities.

It's true there are similarities between the two (both had psychic control over insects) and the story goes, as tmoore quotes from Overstreet, that they "tested" both books. Although, you have to wonder back then how "scientific" Marvel's test was. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif Actually it's been said that there was actually no "test" but that Ayers liked the character and some readers wrote it about it too. And this was right at the start of their hero launches, so perhaps it was just the right bit of feedback at the right time.

However, kind of funny to think that if TOS had gotten the better response, a Bee-Man could have been a founding member of the Avengers... or the X-Men since he was a "mutant" 893whatthe.gif

(PS, there is a storyline with a Bee-Man character in Harvey Comics' Double-Dare Adventures 1 and 2 from the mid 1960s, and it's pretty entertaining:

ANYONE?

Yeah, to answer your and ft88's questions:

The key thing is that Dr. Pym is the character in TTA 27, and he's reintroduced in TTA 35 in costume as Antman, so TTA is the 1st appearance of the Pym character and the origin of his powers.

Marvel never had a Bee-Man, so although the TOS beehive story is a sort of prototype, it's not the first appearance of an enduring character.

Plot summary from Monster blog:

The Man In The Beehive

History: Secretly born a mutant, millionaire Lucius Farnsworth was able to work near miracles with the power of his brain. Having a way with bees, Farnsworth was the most successful honey producer in the state. One night, Eric (one of Farnsworth's beekeepers) broke into Farnsworth's mansion to rob the safe. Discovering Eric, Farnsworth used his superior mind to overpower him, making him hand over his gun. As punishment, Farnsworth shrunk himself and Eric down to the size of bees. Both entered a beehive, and Farnsworth commanded the bees to terrorize Eric. When he saw that Eric had learned his lesson, to never rob Farnsworth again, Farnsworth returned himself and Eric to normal size, telling Eric that all of the events were just an illusion brought on by a hypnotic trance.

An older, powerless Lucius Farnsworth was threatened by the menace of The Weed, which would have conquered the world if not for Farnsworth's gardener unwittingly destroying it.

Demonstrated Powers: Lucius Farnsworth was a mutant whose brain powers included the ability to shrink himself and others to the size of bees. He could mentally dominate the wills of others, and could also command bees. It is unknown if Farnsworth had any other psionic abilities.

It's true there are similarities between the two (both had psychic control over insects) and the story goes, as tmoore quotes from Overstreet, that they "tested" both books. Although, you have to wonder back then how "scientific" Marvel's test was. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif Actually it's been said that there was actually no "test" but that Ayers liked the character and some readers wrote it about it too. And this was right at the start of their hero launches, so perhaps it was just the right bit of feedback at the right time.

However, kind of funny to think that if TOS had gotten the better response, a Bee-Man could have been a founding member of the Avengers... or the X-Men since he was a "mutant" 893whatthe.gif

(PS, there is a storyline with a Bee-Man character in Harvey Comics' Double-Dare Adventures 1 and 2 from the mid 1960s, and it's pretty entertaining:

Oh, a couple more things regarding Lucius Farnsworth: As if Stan and the crew didn't recycle the pre-hero monster plots enough, The Man in the Beehive was Lucius Farnsworth. Interestingly, there was another character by the name of Lucius Farnsworth who was a scientist terrorized by a giant weed in "The Weed" in Strange Tales 94.

In addition, the Mutant which I talked about previously in this thread (who was in the story from Tales of Suspense 6) was named Vincent Farnsworth. He had the ability to phase through solid objects.

So in TOS 6 we have Vincent Farnsworth and in TOS 32 we have Lucius Farnsworth who is also called a "mutant" who has the ability to shrink to insect-size, and psionic powers to control people's minds and talk to to Bees. Very interesting. It seems the Farnsworth family (if these Farnsworths are all related) may have been an early precursor to some sort of mutant families. Kinda cool! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That or Stan just liked to name all his characters Farnsworth..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Not quite what most regard as typical pre-hero, but it has Kirby and Ditko art---that makes it pre-hero for me.

WorldOfFantasy17.jpg

Angelo

Hey Angelo, nice book!

Actually the Kirby/Ditko World of Fantasy (as well as Strange Worlds) are very much Pre-Hero Atlas books (although decidedly sci-fi as opposed to Pre-hero giant monster).

I think they don't carry the weight of the others because their particular series were cancelled. Enjoy!!!

--Steve