• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Oh wow, I see you won it for 2250. You lucky SOB :D great pickup :)

I was worried I'd seriously let my heart rule over my head and overpaid. I thought it was worth it though. Good to hear that Iv got a great book at a fair price. :grin:

for whatever reason, perhaps because of the fact spidey is in #15, or because of the high amount of ditko content, it seems to be a run priced at a bit of a premium compared to the four main titles' books of the same date. So the price is just fine IMO :)

Oh wow, I see you won it for 2250. You lucky SOB :D great pickup :)

I was worried I'd seriously let my heart rule over my head and overpaid. I thought it was worth it though. Good to hear that Iv got a great book at a fair price. :grin:

for whatever reason, perhaps because of the fact spidey is in #15, or because of the high amount of ditko content, it seems to be a run priced at a bit of a premium compared to the four main titles' books of the same date. So the price is just fine IMO :)

All that plus one of the best covers in a run full of good covers (of course I may be biased, see my sig line...). That was a great pickup at a great price. (thumbs u

My 1st and only pre-hero marvel. It could be love :cloud9:

4e7d4982.jpg

A mark wilson buy, no? was he negotiable on pricing? I remember seeing it listed for 4k (?)

Big congrats :)

This was a clink pick up for me. Iv never bought a pre-hero marvel before, but this has long been one of my favourite covers of any marvel comic book. I know it was a big step to take when moving into a new period of marvel books than Iv collected before but I couldn't resist. Unfortunately due to this I'm not sure of the books history before my purchase. Would certainly be interested to find out

Congratulations! That's an outstanding pre-hero book to start with! :headbang:

I told myself, I told myself, I told myself... that I'm not going to get into higher grade pre-hero Marvels.

And then this comes along yesterday; it's my first pre-hero Marvel slab:

100_7524.jpg

I told myself, I told myself, I told myself... that I'm not going to get into higher grade pre-hero Marvels.

100_7524.jpg

Your in trouble now, great pick-up (thumbs u

100_7524.jpg

Awesome book. I've never owned a copy of that particular issue, congrats on the pickup! 7.5 is my sweet spot for pre-hero; great eye appeal but not quite into the nosebleed prices on most issues.

Thnx for the feedback, I really like 7.5's also for eye appeal and for a price break (though from what I'm hearing and the sales I've seen, the Guide is behind the times on these books).

Right now, the TTA 15 is just a single Blip on my radar; there's more potential bogeys incoming from where it came from...

Right now, the TTA 15 is just a single Blip on my radar; there's more potential bogeys incoming from where it came from...

You're kind of new to silver age, so I'll tell you; No puns with the pre-hero stuff.

That way lies Madness.

I myself almost had to forego Oorgo...

You're kind of new to silver age, so I'll tell you; No puns with the pre-hero stuff.

That way lies Madness.

I myself almost had to forego Oorgo...

I see your point - and here I was thinking Lovecraft would end up being my Doombro.

BAF, me likey 'Montseroso'. :applause:

Steve. I feel sorry for you

You'll be done with pre hero marvels before summers out

Ahh. A good question for the advanced pre-hero collector...what to do once you have collected ALL the Marvel pre-hero books?

There are a number of paths (or combinations thereof...):

1) Start collecting the "monster apocrypha". Such as the monster issues that cross into the Atlas Western and Romance titles.

2) Start collecting Ditko Charlton Anthology titles. The art and stories vary in quality, but there are a (very) few gems there that are just as good as some of Steve's Marvel pre-hero stories.

3) Charlton Monster comics - issues of Konga, Gorgo, Reptilicus...

4) Star Spangled War Stories - dinosaurs, dinosaurs, and more dinosaurs!

5) DC Sci-Fi anthology titles - great art, great stories. Its particularly fun looking for Marvel prototypes in these DC books!

6) Harvey Sci-Fi anthology titles - lots of decent Kirby stories (maybe even a Marvel prototype or two!).

7) Crestwood titles - Black Magic, Strange Worlds of Your Dreams, etc. lots of good 50's Simon & Kirby horror/fantasy.

Any other suggestions?

Bill

Steve. I feel sorry for you

You'll be done with pre hero marvels before summers out

Ahh. A good question for the advanced pre-hero collector...what to do once you have collected ALL the Marvel pre-hero books?

4) Star Spangled War Stories - dinosaurs, dinosaurs, and more dinosaurs!

I collected the SSWS dino books for a while, and may get back to them at some point. They're lots of fun!