• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Gorgeous books Bob! You and Dr. X must have picked over the cream of the pre-hero selection at the show, and I'm very envious!

I stayed home from Chicago, unfortunately, but did manage to pick this up on eBay last night. I've been wanting to start collecting this short run for ages, and picking this beauty up seemed like a fine place to finally start it. Sorry for the crappy eBay pic, I'll post a new scan when I get it in hand.

SW05.jpg

THAT....is a tough book. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Gorgeous books Bob! You and Dr. X must have picked over the cream of the pre-hero selection at the show, and I'm very envious!

I stayed home from Chicago, unfortunately, but did manage to pick this up on eBay last night. I've been wanting to start collecting this short run for ages, and picking this beauty up seemed like a fine place to finally start it. Sorry for the crappy eBay pic, I'll post a new scan when I get it in hand.

SW05.jpg

You beat me by a measly $10!

:frustrated:

I hope nobody minds me posting this here (from another thread):

that pic (TTA 9 cover) made me wonder about when the first time Marvel started using those really thick, double outlined word balloons

9-1.jpg

To me, that is one of the hallmarks of early Marvel. When you are getting a book that has the word ballons like that.... its usually something early and good

a little google shows the first such book on the TTA title was #6. On #6 the coloring is pale and almost hesitant. Like it was a trial run which perhaps it was

anybody know of any earlier ones? It's a small thing but I've always really liked it... it really sets off the dialogue and the art itself nicely :)

hm looks like they were experimenting

TTA 6 - double outline w/pale yellow

TTA 7 - N/A - no word balloons

TTA 8 - single outline with bright red

TTA 9 - double outline with bright red

then its a mixed bag from TTA 10-45 (some doubles [mostly the earlier books - last double is #27], some singles, some N/A).

#46 looks to be the last issue with thick word balloons (they get noticeably thinner after that).

----

that TTA9 cover is so perfect. You couldn't improve that thing in any way.

SW05.jpg

If it makes you feel better that was the minimum raise, my actual bid was quite a bit stronger. Bidding an extra $11 wouldn't have done the trick!

that pic (TTA 9 cover) made me wonder about when the first time Marvel started using those really thick, double outlined word balloons

9-1.jpg

To me, that is one of the hallmarks of early Marvel. When you are getting a book that has the word ballons like that.... its usually something early and good

a little google shows the first such book on the TTA title was #6. On #6 the coloring is pale and almost hesitant. Like it was a trial run which perhaps it was

anybody know of any earlier ones? It's a small thing but I've always really liked it... it really sets off the dialogue and the art itself nicely :)

hm looks like they were experimenting

TTA 6 - double outline w/pale yellow

TTA 7 - N/A - no word balloons

TTA 8 - single outline with bright red

TTA 9 - double outline with bright red

then its a mixed bag from TTA 10-45 (some doubles [mostly the earlier books - last double is #27], some singles, some N/A).

#46 looks to be the last issue with thick word balloons (they get noticeably thinner after that).

----

that TTA9 cover is so perfect. You couldn't improve that thing in any way.

The image of the cover should sell the book - no need to read a lot of word balloons to figure out what's going on. I think that the ballons obstruct from the wonderful monster art on these covers -- and yet there is something so cozy & comforting about those classic phrases!

SW05.jpg

If it makes you feel better that was the minimum raise, my actual bid was quite a bit stronger. Bidding an extra $11 wouldn't have done the trick!

That does help! (thumbs u

9-1.jpg

The image of the cover should sell the book - no need to read a lot of word balloons to figure out what's going on. I think that the ballons obstruct from the wonderful monster art on these covers -- and yet there is something so cozy & comforting about those classic phrases!

I'll respectfully disagree - these books were marketed to little kids. A little text was necessary to hel that five year understand, and the way they did it I don't think it detracted from the art at all.

SW05.jpg

That does help! (thumbs u

That book is COOL! :applause: When ever I finish the 60s stuff...I will start looking for these!

Some real nice preheros in the comicconnect auction guys... take a look! I am going to sit them out as I bought FF4* and FF5* today :tonofbricks: HERO books. :sick:doh!

* a childhood favorite and a childhood want respectively. Please don't revoke my prehero collector card :sick:

so much for that, I won a double by accident with what I thought was a low ball bid for a black cover book with nice pages that has a high census of 8.5

doh!

:)

Well I am happy to have another nice one, but if anybody has a double they want to trade in exchange, holler at me by pm

ama6.142a.jpg

TOS89.jpg

Monstro sez: "Pathetic, puny humans, your worship of myself and my other monstrous brethren is good, but not good enough!!!! More is required or we're going to break open a planet sized can of whoop azz!! Kneel before Monstro, KNEEL!!!!!!"

That is a sweet looking book I was watching those books and wishing I could bid.

I don't have very many pre-hero books. But I figure I may as well show my personal favorite cover of the AA run.

comic014.jpg

I :censored:ing hate you :luhv:

Oops, underbidder? :sorry: Monstro made me do it, you don't realize the power of the great beast!! :o

Rich, I am just kidding dude, I meant that in the warmest way.

If that thing was in tonight's auction, I suck and suck hard because somehow I missed it. It couldn't have gone to a better home. :golfclap: And I probably wasn't going to outbid you anyways ;) so I am glad I saved you some money by missing it, if that's what happened :)

That is a sweet looking book I was watching those books and wishing I could bid.

comic014.jpg

Ugh, there was more? what else did I miss? :tonofbricks: was this on ebay? I am lost :tonofbricks: :tonofbricks: :tonofbricks: :tonofbricks:

nice AA3... and yeah, nice cover :)