• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Seeing what happened during this auction makes me glad I decided to unload my 8.0-8.5 JiMs a few months ago - I sold 12 at Clink and not one of them went for under $300.

I would have been pretty fired up if they were all stacked up like they were this time.

Yeah, there were a lot. They have come out of the woodwork, or are getting CPRed and put back on the market, and prices have dipped of late.

You think so? Apart from last night I don't remember noticing a supply spike or a price dip, really.

I chalk up last night as a bit of a one off. The only consistency with clink's prehero auctions seems to be inconsistency. Most of the times they do well, sometimes off the charts fantastic, and then... there was last night.

There was a similar auction six(?) months ago were some high grade books slipped through the cracks. I'm still not quite sure how but I won my TTA15 9.4 WM that auction for $1500. What's that worth in last night's auction?

The auction six months ago was a one-off on high grade. I would call last night's auction a one-off on VFs. I mean......... I think half of us on this thread would buy as many as we could get as these kinds of prices... so that tells me that the price dip on these VFs is temporary. Because I know there is demand, even from us on this thread, at prices above these levels.

Just to, to many nice books were offered all at one time. There were 3 copies of some issues and several issues of different titles with two copies available.

Some great buys in the 7.5-8.0 books. I was able to snag a few.

TTA #3 (9.0) and #18 (8.5), TOS # 29 (8.5) and #30 (9.0).

Bronty mentioned some of the high sales. Included were Str. Tales # 8 (9.2) $3400,

# 12 (9.4) $4500 and # 14 (9.0) $2300.

High grade ST's are going through the roof!

wow GREAT buys rick, congrats! :applause:

Again, i havent followed them very close but it seemed to me like there were a LOT of pre heros last night no? Its not normal to have THAT many in an auction is it?

I've always thought the covers were cool and tried to maybe grab 1 or 2 here and there but they always have gone too high for me. Last night, i was pretty shocked how low a bunch were sitting and since there were practically no Avengers on my radar was able to finally grab a few lower than what i thought they should have gone for.

Last night was definitely a feast of material. Clink probably is the #1 venue for preheroes so they do tend to get more PH auctions than you would think judging by what one sees on heritage and ebay and so on, but yeah even for clink it was a big feast and as others have said you usually don't see two and three copies of the same PH in a single auction. After all most of these books predate FF1 so you are not talking about books where its easy to regularly uncover multiple nice copies of in the same auction. That strategy might work on hero books where there is broader demand but not so well here. Then again hindsight is 20/20.

I feel bad for the sellers but trust they had some gains to offset the losses.

Yeah, there were a lot. They have come out of the woodwork, or are getting CPRed and put back on the market, and prices have dipped of late.

You think so? Apart from last night I don't remember noticing a supply spike or a price dip, really.

I chalk up last night as a bit of a one off. The only consistency with clink's prehero auctions seems to be inconsistency. Most of the times they do well, sometimes off the charts fantastic, and then... there was last night.

There was a similar auction six(?) months ago were some high grade books slipped through the cracks. I'm still not quite sure how but I won my TTA15 9.4 WM that auction for $1500. What's that worth in last night's auction?

The auction six months ago was a one-off on high grade. I would call last night's auction a one-off on VFs. I mean......... I think half of us on this thread would buy as many as we could get as these kinds of prices... so that tells me that the price dip on these VFs is temporary. Because I know there is demand, even from us on this thread, at prices above these levels.

I am just speaking from memory (which I guess isn't too far away from talking out my a$$), but since I have been following Clink auctions for pre-hero pretty closely for a few years now I think that last night's selection was one of the best (if not the best) in terms of pre-hero quantity that I can remember. Certainly the sales of multiple copies of particular issues was highly unusual for them. If someone could pull actual data on pre-hero sales that would be nice, but other than that other auction this year (with your WM 9.4 and I also pulled a 7.5 WM ST out of it) pre-hero has typically seen much less quantity in their auctions, or at least it seems to have been to me.

Oh yeah, I totally agree the quantity was higher than normal, although they do tend to have more in the big quarterly auctions (like this one was) than in the regular monthly auctions. No question it was a feast though. Congrats again on that ST :headbang: Anytime I can nab a WM I feel like this :cloud9: The books present so nice that I don't even really care about the technical grade too much

I agree that under "normal" or most circumstances I would've actively been interested and bidding on many of these in this grade/price range...my grade range is actually closer to FN +/- but if you could get 7s, 7.5s and 8s at FN prices I'd normally be all over it. But I won a big book early on and I bailed out (no further bidding) on all the JIM/THORs I had bids on and didn't even go back and look at the PHs so as not to be tempted... :insane:

As I said...CONGRATS to all the winners!

Sure, Clink shares part of the blame with its huge monthly auctions, but where were the VF range buyers for this auction? TTA #12 8.0 doesn't even crack $300 or TOS #13 8.5 gets only $375?!?! Sickening prices. TTA #18 8.5 the single best top census and it makes only $600? And yes, these and more were my books and I'm not happy about it. :censored::tonofbricks::mad:

I can only speak for myself as someone who likes grades that start with 8 and once in a while, 9.... and personally I had enough bids out there on pricey books that I was too nervous to spread myself thin in case any of the big books came thru. As it turned out, they didn't meaning I could have bought more lower range books, but I had 15k in bids out there at one point and had to guard against the possibility that they might come thru without the luxury of being at my computer at auctions end. For me, that's a ton of money if they come thru and I cant afford more exposure. Perhaps there was some of that going on?

Sure, Clink shares part of the blame with its huge monthly auctions, but where were the VF range buyers for this auction? TTA #12 8.0 doesn't even crack $300 or TOS #13 8.5 gets only $375?!?! Sickening prices. TTA #18 8.5 the single best top census and it makes only $600? And yes, these and more were my books and I'm not happy about it. :censored::tonofbricks::mad:

Those really are hard to believe. Those prices should be 2 or 3 x that.... :sick::sorry:

You are absolutely right. As a seller, this was a burn. I am very much an 8.0 - 9.0 buyer

for Pre-Hero and the only explanation of why I did not bid was apathy. I am tired of all these auctions lately and didn't get involved. I hardly bid on anything and didn't watch the closings.

I will mention, that if these books were offered on the boards at reasonable prices I would have very much considered purchases. :baiting:

Oh yeah, I totally agree the quantity was higher than normal, although they do tend to have more in the big quarterly auctions (like this one was) than in the regular monthly auctions. No question it was a feast though. Congrats again on that ST :headbang: Anytime I can nab a WM I feel like this :cloud9: The books present so nice that I don't even really care about the technical grade too much

My recollection is that they have a couple auctions a year with this much pre-hero material. They have done a better job presenting pre-hero books in their auctions than anyone else. I do think it unfortunate for the consignor when there are multiples of the same issue -- that has not happened in the quantity it did the last 2 days.

BTW, I'm not begrudging anyone here, glad some of the books went to my fellow boardies. Its just those hammer prices are just unacceptable. rantrant

:(