• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Thanks for the kind words guys. I wasn't going to say anything, but it just really pissed me off. Some great books going for so little, just not right. I know the risk is always there at auction, though I wasn't expecting record lows almost across the board. I hear Bob with the auction fatigue/apathy, there's just too many auctions on such a regular basis. The hobby can't absorb all the books and you get results like this. Very disappointing.

And yes, I'll offer them here first next time!!!

There have been a couple of CL auctions with weak closings this year on PH stuff. They close at a bad time for me. I came away empty handed on this auction. I put in strong bids on about 10 books in the morning because I couldn't be on the computer around for the close, and just happened to get outbid on all the ones I tried for. Had I been watching them end, I would have bid on some of the cheaper ones, I might have gotten 2 or 3 upgrades. I've had situations where I've bid on two copies of a book at auction and won them both and didn't want that to happen this time, so I picked one of each - the wrong one, I guess.

Also, I passed on a couple for PQ or miscuts or things like that. With so many books up and limited funds at the end of summer here, I was overly selective. For sure too many duplicates at this auction. I think it would have made sense to separate the 8.0 and under books in one auction and the 8.5+ books on a second auction.

Sure, Clink shares part of the blame with its huge monthly auctions, but where were the VF range buyers for this auction? TTA #12 8.0 doesn't even crack $300 or TOS #13 8.5 gets only $375?!?! Sickening prices. TTA #18 8.5 the single best top census and it makes only $600? And yes, these and more were my books and I'm not happy about it. :censored::tonofbricks::mad:

:blush:

Yikes, sorry man!

Winning the TOS 13 is almost a bummer now. There's definitely some people I'd be more than happy to see get the short end of the stick in an auction but you sure as hell ain't one of them Korvac (thumbs u

Honestly, i couldnt believe i was the last bidder. When i hit update, i really was shocked that mine was the last bid! If I'm ever selling a slab you want, let me know and I'll make it up to you (thumbs u

I've seen several years where end-of summer auctions are soft. Lot of disposable money goes to vacations to keep the wife happy and back to school goodies. For me, I'm just overspent. I'm in the position where I have to sell something to buy something.......this year has been light on OT at work. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Sure, Clink shares part of the blame with its huge monthly auctions, but where were the VF range buyers for this auction? TTA #12 8.0 doesn't even crack $300 or TOS #13 8.5 gets only $375?!?! Sickening prices. TTA #18 8.5 the single best top census and it makes only $600? And yes, these and more were my books and I'm not happy about it. :censored::tonofbricks::mad:

:blush:

Yikes, sorry man!

Winning the TOS 13 is almost a bummer now. There's definitely some people I'd be more than happy to see get the short end of the stick in an auction but you sure as hell ain't one of them Korvac (thumbs u

Honestly, i couldnt believe i was the last bidder. When i hit update, i really was shocked that mine was the last bid! If I'm ever selling a slab you want, let me know and I'll make it up to you (thumbs u

Agreed on all counts. Rich, as I said in PM you definitely got a raw deal here on a lot of books. I think that most of us who frequent this thread are stunned and if we had the benefit of hindsight would have definitely moved in on more of these books that went for a song. If I wasn't strapped for cash too I would have backed up the truck.

After Rich's misfortune I wanted to share a more positive story. I am right now looking at a beautiful copy of TOS 8 which rich was kind enough to sell to me. He didn't have to do this, heck I don't think he wanted to at first, but he could see how much that particular issue meant to me and he hooked me up. Thank you Rich!!! (worship)

I'm not sure if you all remember , but for years TOS 8 was one of the postage stamp sized illos in the bottom margin of the price guide.... So almost every day, I'd look at this cover, and what a perfect cover!!

Pic to follow- thanks Rich!

I feel for ya Rich, that really sucks. While I congratulate all the winners on some great deals, it is painful seeing such awesome books go for far below FMV. I have to empathize with the sellers here, while rejoicing with the winners.

As Bronty said, I too think this is a one-off event. I would have normally been in there helping to push some of these bids up but I only watched many of these as they were not current holes in my sets (upgrades of course but not holes), my focus was on some other books like those sweet Weird Fantasy's, and very tight budget right now after picking up a big win recently from CC.

I am not so sure about auction fatigue as even though they may get tiring at times, if I have that hole that needs filling I will typically go for what I need regardless. I think the multi-copies and presence of those high grade copies took the focus away from these books. If those HG books were not there things would have looked a lot differently I am sure.