• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

...and with this lowly lovely, my Tales To Astonish run is complete.

Only took me twenty-five years!

tta4_zps465b576e.jpg[/img]

not in hand yet, but I paid, so blame ebay if I turn out to be a liar.

Edited by KirbyJack

Congratulations! :applause:

I had several bids out on the pre-hero books in last night's Clink auction, and in every case but one I was outbid by the next bid increment (but I guess at least I made sure nothing went too cheap!). The one I am mildly disappointed that I didn't get was the TOS #32 in 7.5, but frankly I wasn't comfortable with the price point at this point in my collecting year/budget. Kudos to whoever picked it up though, it was a pretty copy I will probably regret missing on.

Here was the one book I did get, and for what I thought was a reasonable price.

RADD70852013226_141712.jpg

Congratulations! :applause:

Nice! I still need that one and the number 3 for my set. :headbang:

Sparkle City is selling two Strange Tales on Ebay that they bought off my selling thread.

The #29 graded out 5.5 which is right on as I graded it. The #68, CGC assigned an 8.5. That's B------T! Look at that book, its a 6.5/7.0 at best. Yes it has white pages and is a very nice copy, but no way an 8.5. I have some 8.5 graded books which almost look flawless. I'm disgusted.

Sparkle City is selling two Strange Tales on Ebay that they bought off my selling thread.

The #29 graded out 5.5 which is right on as I graded it. The #68, CGC assigned an 8.5. That's B------T! Look at that book, its a 6.5/7.0 at best. Yes it has white pages and is a very nice copy, but no way an 8.5. I have some 8.5 graded books which almost look flawless. I'm disgusted.

That is b.s. I own a 8.0 of that book, and my copy looks much nicer. I don't get how sparkle city is always getting gifty grades.

That is b.s. I own a 8.0 of that book, and my copy looks much nicer. I don't get how sparkle city is always getting gifty grades.

That is the worst 8.5 I have EVER seen. Wow...

Guys, remember this book when you see those threads complaining about how tight CGC is lately. It appears the pendulum has swung back to loose grading. When the bigger dealers complain, CGC listens.

In the past we had complained about a few other books they brought to market for terrible overgrades, what's the deal? I know they broker books too, are they just getting all the books people are too embarrassed to sell themselves? There are any number of defects that should keep that out of 8.0, let alone 8.5.

That is the worst 8.5 I have EVER seen. Wow...

Here is the scan, taken from their eBay listing so everyone can judge for themselves:

PE1135363004a.jpg

I don't think I would be happy paying 8.5 money for that copy. Nice book, but not worthy of an 8.5 label (but there have been other examples of gift grades in HG pre-hero books too if you look often and hard enough).

Just a question has anyone looked at the back cover? Book are graded on both? Im no expert but it kind out sounds like the seller might be upset he sold the book to cheap? I do agree that the book may be overgraded but every dealer ive ever delt with has books that are overgraded by cgc! I have books and I'm sure most everyone does that are both overgraded and undergraded in their collection! The book might be overgraded but it still looks like a very nice book to me. Again just my 2 cents!

I looked at the back cover and it looks fine. But the issue is the front cover. A true 8.5 should not have that level of readily apparent defects in a scan, and one of our own (who I bought a book from and experienced his fine grading first hand) who had the book in hand puts it at a 6.5 to 7.0. From the scans I tend toward the 7.0.

Speaking for myself, there are books that get gift grades in the realm of possibility (like a 6.0 getting a 6.5) and then there are the WTF grades like this one that are like 4 full levels off. I got one of those myself in my last sub of pre-hero. I bought a book hoping for a 5.0-5.5 and it came back a head scratching 7.0. Some would have been thrilled, and if I thought the book warranted it I would be too. But since the book is woefully overgraded IMO it is a little embarrassing. So I don't think he is showing seller remorse as much as shock that such an overgrade would happen.

That book has really nice color and presents very well, but 8.5 it is not. That bottom outside corner is pretty rounded, plus all the spine ticks and edge creases. I'd be happy with it at 7.0 all day, but 8.5 no way.

I looked at the back cover and it looks fine. But the issue is the front cover. A true 8.5 should not have that level of readily apparent defects in a scan, and one of our own (who I bought a book from and experienced his fine grading first hand) who had the book in hand puts it at a 6.5 to 7.0. From the scans I tend toward the 7.0.

Speaking for myself, there are books that get gift grades in the realm of possibility (like a 6.0 getting a 6.5) and then there are the WTF grades like this one that are like 4 full levels off. I got one of those myself in my last sub of pre-hero. I bought a book hoping for a 5.0-5.5 and it came back a head scratching 7.0. Some would have been thrilled, and if I thought the book warranted it I would be too. But since the book is woefully overgraded IMO it is a little embarrassing. So I don't think he is showing seller remorse as much as shock that such an overgrade would happen.

Thanks, Mysterio. You summed it up perfectly. No beef here with Sparkle, let them double their money on these two books, god bless them. But, the inconsistency of CGC is baffling. This ST 68 was my undercopy. I think my other copy is about 1/2 grade better. A 9.0?, I wish.