• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

:gossip: The #5 is a White Mountian!

..... I won't hold that against it. Just pack it securely like you usually do. I can hardly wait to get it :cloud9: ........all kidding aside, Bill....... how about some backstory ? How did you manage to be in the right place at the right time...... especially with Adamstrange being the acquisition machine that he can be and who was also actively pursuing the WM's ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... I won't hold that against it. Just pack it securely like you usually do. I can hardly wait to get it :cloud9: ........all kidding aside, Bill....... how about some backstory ? How did you manage to be in the right place at the right time...... especially with Adamstrange being the acquisition machine that he can be and who was also actively pursuing the WM's ? GOD BLESS....

I've never been exclusively focused on one collecting goal so while I was sometimes in the right place at the right time there were plenty of times when I was in the wrong place and books went to others. I have also, on occasion, traded copies and, even, if you'll check the latest c-connect auction, sold one.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=534921

ST68cgctiny.jpg

ST68.jpg

No special story behind this...I had grabbed this one off the Pacific Comic Exchange back in the day. I also got my hot little hands on this one to boot!

tta_32.jpg

At the time, I was just filling gaps in my pre-hero collection, so there could have been more WMs for sale at the time that I didnt need. doh!

I've never been exclusively focused on one collecting goal so while I was sometimes in the right place at the right time there were plenty of times when I was in the wrong place and books went to others. I have also, on occasion, traded copies and, even, if you'll check the latest c-connect auction, sold one.

ST68cgctiny.jpg

ST68.jpg

It's sobering to see a copy of THAT book in that kind of shape......it's such a tough one to find in any grade. You and Bill have some nice ones..... and I sometimes forget that there was a time 20 years ago when people weren't really going after the monster books. CBM kind of jump started that market..... and right about the time I had quietly starting to seek out nice Fine range copies in the $ 25 to $ 30 bracket. They wouldn't turn up at most shops...... mail order or shows maybe. Sometimes I miss those days..... a lot cheaper..... but there is something to be said about being able to scour the entire country in a few hours at the touch of a finger. GOD BLESS...

ST68cgctiny.jpg

ST68.jpg

It's sobering to see a copy of THAT book in that kind of shape......it's such a tough one to find in any grade. You and Bill have some nice ones..... and I sometimes forget that there was a time 20 years ago when people weren't really going after the monster books. CBM kind of jump started that market..... and right about the time I had quietly starting to seek out nice Fine range copies in the $ 25 to $ 30 bracket. They wouldn't turn up at most shops...... mail order or shows maybe. Sometimes I miss those days..... a lot cheaper..... but there is something to be said about being able to scour the entire country in a few hours at the touch of a finger. GOD BLESS...

If I recall, in the early 90s there were a number of articles about "prototypes" in Gary Carter's original Comic Book Marketplace mag. This eventually lead to these books being mentioned in the OSG, and then the demand started to take off.

Oh my..I just recalled my first pre-hero buy!

In the 70s, I was a big fan of the INVADERS and I used to love reading the letter column. In one issue, there were some questions about the ALL-WINNERS SQUAD and the editor referred the reader to an issue of something called FANTASY MASTERPIECES to see a reprint – that title sounded interesting. I got out my Lone Star Comics catalog and ordered a few books.

One FM book (#2?) had a reprint of TITAN, THE AMPHIBIAN FROM ATLANTS. I fell in love with the story and had to have the original. It was mentioned in FM that the story was originally presented in TOS #28. What the hell?, I thought...there were issues of TOS before Iron Man??? No way!

After much looking thru many many catalogs, I finally got a copy of the Comic Sales Company/Grand Bookstore catalog and they had it! A couple of weeks later I had a nice VG-ish copy of TOS #28 in my hands ... and the rest is history!

Edited by AtlasFan

ST68cgctiny.jpg

ST68.jpg

I hadn't noticed this in the CC auction...amazing copy.

I hope it goes to a good home. I've done pretty well with the ones I slabbed like the JIM 56 in the summer c-connect sale that was cgc9.2.

Is it just me or are there fewer pre-hero's than usual in these Fall Auctions ?

ST68cgctiny.jpg

ST68.jpg

Finding a strong bid. Nice to see.

I am relatively new of course but my sense is we got spoiled in 2012 with tsimanga and turtleboy selling their books
Are they out completely?