• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

At this point I'd think the 9.4 TTA #13 would shatter all records if it came up for sale.

That's actually a really interesting question - what would an ultra hg TTA 13 sell for - because my sense is that the lower end of the market on that book is much more solid than the high end. I'm not sure anyone would want to risk those kind of absolute dollars on a movie hyped book that has yet to prove itself long term.

I think it would do very very well and yeah I'd say it would set a record. But maybe not by that much. I think the absolute dollars involved would drag down what it "should" be worth.

I'd also love to see what a 9.4 strange tales 89 would get. I think that would get a record too and it would be interesting to see if it would be more or less than TTA 13. I'm going to say more.

High census is only 9.0 but red hood has a copy that looks 9.4

It's all what sandbox you play in. For some paying $1000 for a VG is as big a risk as shelling out 20K or more for a 9.4 would be for others. Given the five figure amounts collectors have coughed up for "highest graded copies" of bronze and copper keys, with no guarantee that they would remain so, it wouldn't surprise me if a couple deep pocket sellers bid a top grade TTA #13 into the stratosphere.

I agree it is a risk though, if any character sustains popularity from the GOTG movie I'd bet on the wise-cracking gun-toting raccoon and not this guy

close-up-mrtree_jpg_w180h211.jpg

Anyone know what the record sales price is for a pre-hero Marvel book?
The biggest I recall is a 9.0 TOS #1 that sold for a little over $10k. The highest graded ST 97 sold for $8k or so and there's been one 9.8 copy of a different issue that sold for over $5k but I don't recall the exact price.

The result on the ST 68 exceeded my expectations.

Also, a TOS 11 (9.4) for $7600 in Nov. 2012

congrats on the nice sale adamstrange
Thanks. Might be another nice book in the next c-connect sale. hm

Well Id argue that's the giant turtle on the cover of tta 1, but Xom was the first 'named monster' for sure :)

Strange Worlds #3 predates the Worlds of Fantasy as well, and "The Creature from Planet X" is more of a classic pre-hero monster than a giant turtle.

I understand the definitions of the category, but this cover is so "pre-heroey" that I'm tempted to include one in my collection.

20-1.jpg

I was thinking about mentioning that cover in my post, glad to see I'm not alone in thinking that despite being by Burgos, it does look extremely like a Kirby era monster cover.

Well we had some discussion on what exactly the start of the pre hero period was and there was basically a consensus that it was Dec 58/jan 59 - at this date strange worlds begins, TTa begins, TOS begins, and JIM and strange tales and worlds of fantasy have a shift in content. All in the same month.

That book being 9 years earlier Id call it a coincidental resemblance to what came later.

Killer copy of a great book though!

If your looking for the first Marvel "large monster on cover" - in the fashion of the typical pre-hero Marvel motif than I agree with Atlasfan, Marvel Tales 95 (1950) is it (IMHO).

mar22373a_zps5f313f2f.jpg

Love that

I understand the definitions of the category, but this cover is so "pre-heroey" that I'm tempted to include one in my collection.

20-1.jpg

Why did you have to post this? lol Now I have to add it to my want list for next year. :pullhair:

If your looking for the first Marvel "large monster on cover" - in the fashion of the typical pre-hero Marvel motif than I agree with Atlasfan, Marvel Tales 95 (1950) is it (IMHO).

mar22373a_zps5f313f2f.jpg

This issue doesnt get any better than this copy. (worship)

Edited by AtlasFan