• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

There seemed to be a few very nice copies of TOS 32 at the show. Your copy,

the MD collection copy(Harley) ,at least VF, and Superworld's copy again as nice or nicer than MD copy. Normally not an easy issue to find in HG.

As far as your idea of PH collectors meeting up, count me in. Did meet DR.X and Bomber-Bob for the first times at the show.

I looked for Dr. X and never ran into him. I didn't see his picture of you until later, and then after keeping an eye out had no luck. We'll definitely need to organize a meal or something.

At long last here is the first batch of pics of my haul. These are all photos off my phone, so bear with them. These three are all at CGC so scans will be provided when I get them back in 3-4 weeks. I scanned my other four books this morning, but don't have time to edit/post them right now and will put them up later on.

Here is the TOS #32 from Dale. I kept this one a bit larger as it is really that pretty. The upper spine corner is the only issue, and it is a major upgrade for a copy I've had for at least 20 years.

TOS32.jpg

I got these next two from Gary (Moondog) as my first purchases of the show. They were left over from the feeding frenzy at his booth, and I'll take these as crumbs any day of the week. I'm hoping the TTA is an upgrade to my current 7.0, and the #35 could do really well (I'm daring to dream but won't post what I'm hoping for as to not jinx it; I'll wait til I get it back to tell if I was close).

TTA32.jpg

TOS35.jpg

Here are my last four Chicago pickups, now that I had some time to edit the scans. This JIM #17 came from Greg Reece. It is gorgeous in hand, but has a bit of a tanning halo on the inside of the covers and a water mark at the upper right corner. You can see the water line faintly around the Atlas globe. Still a beautiful copy of a tough book.

JIM17.jpg

This JIM #74 came from a smaller dealer whose name I forget. Very nice book at a great deal.

JIM74.jpg

I was going to walk around and think about this ST #85, but Superworld cut me such a great deal I didn't need to think about it. Very pretty book, just light wear and a couple of very short edge tears. I'm super pleased with it.

ST85.jpg

Last, but certainly not least, from JHV Associates, a book I've been watching on eBay for a while now. I saw it at the show and snapped it up. It was my only graded purchase at the show.

TOS38CGC.jpg

Sweet books! :applause: Both Gargantus covers are good outings for Kirby.

Here are my last four Chicago pickups, now that I had some time to edit the scans. This JIM #17 came from Greg Reece. It is gorgeous in hand, but has a bit of a tanning halo on the inside of the covers and a water mark at the upper right corner. You can see the water line faintly around the Atlas globe. Still a beautiful copy of a tough book.

I was going to walk around and think about this ST #85, but Superworld cut me such a great deal I didn't need to think about it. Very pretty book, just light wear and a couple of very short edge tears. I'm super pleased with it.

ST85.jpg

Well, since everybody seems to be posting their hauls from the moondog PH collection, here's my little slice of the pie. Thx Gary!

I previously posted the TOS 15 & 16. The moondog copies are the ones closest to the viewer:

goom.jpg

P1000334.JPG

The ST89 I posted on ST 89 club:

ST_89.jpg

And the remainder of the strange tales issues I am posting now:

P1000346.JPG

P1000347.JPG

P1000348.JPG

This 86 is very sharp:

P1000349.JPG

87 is not quite up to par but still nice:

P1000350.JPG

97 is the nicest book in the lot. Just very little wrong with it:

P1000343.JPG

I love the dark deep colors on this 98:

P1000351.JPG

...and that's all she wrote. If only I could afford a bunch more :)

I was just lucky Gary is a tight grader. I've rarely had good experiences buying mail order from dealers let alone with no scans, but the books demonstrated why Gary's got a great rep for his grading.

Yeah, Gary is one of the good ones. I started buying books from his stores around Chicagoland 20 years ago and I've always gotten well graded books at fair prices. He's rarely inexpensive, but you get quality.

It's been a good week for books. Just got my coupon submission back, which included this guy. I was hoping for a tick higher, but some tanning on the inside and back covers probably knocked it down a bit. Still a very sweet book.

ST34CGC.jpg

I've got 3-4 more pre-heros that I've owned for many years that are currently in encapsulation. I'm dying to find out the grades and hope they ship today.

Yeah, Gary is one of the good ones. I started buying books from his stores around Chicagoland 20 years ago and I've always gotten well graded books at fair prices. He's rarely inexpensive, but you get quality.

It's been a good week for books. Just got my coupon submission back, which included this guy. I was hoping for a tick higher, but some tanning on the inside and back covers probably knocked it down a bit. Still a very sweet book.

ST34CGC.jpg

I've got 3-4 more pre-heros that I've owned for many years that are currently in encapsulation. I'm dying to find out the grades and hope they ship today.

One of the great early ST covers. Love it. :headbang:

I was just lucky Gary is a tight grader. I've rarely had good experiences buying mail order from dealers let alone with no scans, but the books demonstrated why Gary's got a great rep for his grading.

Glad you like them, Dan. (thumbs u

Here's the list of pre-heroes that were consigned to Comic Connect for their December auction. All were graded on site in Chicago. I have page quality noted except I forgot to write it down for all of them...

Amazing Adventures

1 - 6.5

2 - 7.0

Amazing Adult Fantasy

11 - 8.5

Journey into Mystery

76 (12c variant) - 9.0 ow

78 - 7.5 ow

79 - 8.5 oww

80 - 8.0 oww

81 - 7.5 oww

82 - 8.0 cow

Strange Tales Annual 1 - 8.5 oww

Tales of Suspense

21 - 8.0

25 - 9.0

26 - 8.0

34 - 8.5

38 - 8.0

Tales to Astonish

13 - 4.0

24 - 8.0 oww

27 - 9.0 oww

I love them , thank you so much Gary! (Thumbs u Holy cow that tta27 will be worth a fortune! :o. I'm sure we will all watch that comicconnect auction closely. Gary is that all of them, or will there be future consignments to future auctions?