• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

I think you got a decent deal on that one...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Was eyeballing this one!! Glad to see it go to a fellow boardie PH afficianado!! :headbang:

Thanks! But not sure if it's "afficianado" or "suffering Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" at this point with these PHM books

So many others in this thread deserve recognition for articulating the history of this genre for over a decade.

I'm just along for the ride ! :whee:

-bc

I think you got a decent deal on that one...... GOD BLESS...

Was eyeballing this one!! Glad to see it go to a fellow boardie PH afficianado!! :headbang:

Thanks! But not sure if it's "afficianado" or "suffering Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" at this point with these PHM books

So many others in this thread deserve recognition for articulating the history of this genre for over a decade.

I'm just along for the ride ! :whee:

-bc

That works!! :headbang:

Such a tough, tough book to find in grade..... congrats to whomever just snagged the Amazing Adventures 3 on Clink..... GOD BLESS...

Thank you jimbo! Been waiting for tonight since I first saw it hit the listing a few months ago.

AA_3_zpst8mgxdkl.jpg

Once I get it, I'll post a group shot of the AA 1-6 mini-run in 8.0+.

-bc

ps-bought a lot of comics in auctions but the adrenaline is still pumping after this one.

Nice copy! That was the last comic that I needed and bought when I completed the 20 years of Marvel (1/60 to 12/79).

Such a tough, tough book to find in grade..... congrats to whomever just snagged the Amazing Adventures 3 on Clink..... GOD BLESS...

Thank you jimbo! Been waiting for tonight since I first saw it hit the listing a few months ago.

AA_3_zpst8mgxdkl.jpg

-bc

ps-bought a lot of comics in auctions but the adrenaline is still pumping after this one.

Great pickup, I'm glad one of the PH BSDs here got it! It is a ridiculous copy of a very difficult book. I've been trying to upgrade from a CGC 6.0 for years.

AA_3_zpst8mgxdkl.jpg

-bc

Great pickup, I'm glad one of the PH BSDs here got it! It is a ridiculous copy of a very difficult book. I've been trying to upgrade from a CGC 6.0 for years.

How did you know I'm an old UNIX admin? Don't see many references to Berkeley Software Distribution on these boards. :grin:

-bc

AA_3_zpst8mgxdkl.jpg

-bc

How did you know I'm an old UNIX admin? Don't see many references to Berkeley Software Distribution on these boards. :grin:

-bc

lol That's totally what I meant. ;)

Picked these up in last night's Clink action. Compared to the STs the JIMs seemed quite reasonably priced, IMHO.

RAD6E455201629_16042.jpg

RAD211F72016114_121922.jpg

Really nice detail on the cover of the 34 (down to the pattern on the woman's dress). Putting those two books next to each other really clarifies the change in just 30 issues.

Not putting down the Kirby/Ayers cover at all. While the characters don't have the detail, the background building perspective in grey-tone really draws the eye to Rorgg and his victims.

Gratz on the additions!

-bc

Keeping with the JIM theme from the Feb CLink auction...my second White Mountain of the series:

JIM_72_zpsb4hyimxz.jpg

Think someone already mentioned this, but like the AA3 and the other JIM offerings, this one went for much less than anticipated while the Strange Tales 94 & 96 held in the expected hammer range.

-bc

Keeping with the JIM theme from the Feb CLink auction...my second White Mountain of the series:

JIM_72_zpsb4hyimxz.jpg

Think someone already mentioned this, but like the AA3 and the other JIM offerings, this one went for much less than anticipated while the Strange Tales 94 & 96 held in the expected hammer range.

-bc

I had a feeling you may have snatched that one. I thought the price was going to go higher than it did. Great pickup!

JIM_72_zpsb4hyimxz.jpg

-bc

I had a feeling you may have snatched that one. I thought the price was going to go higher than it did. Great pickup!

The rest of the snatches (hope that doesn't get me a strike):

ST_94_zpsv4bv9shf.jpg

TTA_19_zps58fnwmk5.jpg

Anyone snatch the Strange Tales 96?

-bc

This is slightly off topic, but I recently picked up a trade PB reprint volume that collects the late 50's Race For The Moon 3 issue run. Many of the stories have art that features pencils by Jack Kirby and inks by Al Williamson.... a very interesting combination. The publishing company has other neat volumes as well and is owned and operated by board member Shrevvy. The website is www.CantonStreetPress.com and may be of interest. The Race For The Moon volume has some of my very favorite Kirby stories ever..... many in the same vein as the PHM stuff...... and at 20 bucks or so, it's a great value. GOD BLESS...

I'm starting to sense the high grade PHM are coming out lately. It used to be a 6.0 was a respectable grade and an 8.0 an uber high grade. I'm seeing some awesome stuff come to market in 9.0+ with prices to match. Personally, I have mixed emotions about this.

I don't think they'll ever be common in grade...... but I miss the days when a sharp Fine plus could be had for 50 bucks....... GOD BLESS...

Not common across the Board but individually some will be 'common'. Examples...

TOS 28 has four copies in 9.4, two in 9.2, and 3 in 9.0 . My 7.0, previously a decent grade, now has 27 copies graded higher.

TOS 38 has 2 copies in 9.6, 3 in 9.4, 3 in 9.2, and 5 in 9.0 . My 8.0, again a decent grade, now has 10 in grade and 22 graded higher.