• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

I gave up collecting high grade pre-hero Marvels years ago because it was far too difficult but just out of curiosity what is the minimum grade you guys would accept as high grade. Many collectors have said i was aiming too high. (shrug)

I try to have my keepers be 6.0 or better, and I really like 7.5s when I can find them (all the beauty of a VF book and cheaper than the aforementioned price spike at 8.0). Anywhere in that range is high grade enough for me.

Yes my minimum grade was VF as well but it was still an arduous task. Just to say to all those who have been emailing me that no i do not have any pre-hero comics anymore as i sold up years ago. Then i remembered that i do have 1 pre hero comic at CGC along with several other comics that seems to have been there forever. Its a Strange Tales #95 CGC 8.5 and i got it back today and will be in the Comiclink Fall auction. To be honest i was a bit disappointed with the grade as stands up very well with the CGC 9.2 copy that sold recently. Anyway anyone who is interested in PHM there it is.

Sticking with the same subject a few years ago there was a vote on which PHM cover was collectors favourite. Ive been raking my brains but i cannot seem to remember what it was. The only thing i do remember is it wasnt particularly memorable. :/

I gave up collecting high grade pre-hero Marvels years ago because it was far too difficult but just out of curiosity what is the minimum grade you guys would accept as high grade. Many collectors have said i was aiming too high. (shrug)

I try to have my keepers be 6.0 or better, and I really like 7.5s when I can find them (all the beauty of a VF book and cheaper than the aforementioned price spike at 8.0). Anywhere in that range is high grade enough for me.

Yes my minimum grade was VF as well but it was still an arduous task. Just to say to all those who have been emailing me that no i do not have any pre-hero comics anymore as i sold up years ago. Then i remembered that i do have 1 pre hero comic at CGC along with several other comics that seems to have been there forever. Its a Strange Tales #95 CGC 8.5 and i got it back today and will be in the Comiclink Fall auction. To be honest i was a bit disappointed with the grade as stands up very well with the CGC 9.2 copy that sold recently. Anyway anyone who is interested in PHM there it is.

Sticking with the same subject a few years ago there was a vote on which PHM cover was collectors favourite. Ive been raking my brains but i cannot seem to remember what it was. The only thing i do remember is it wasnt particularly memorable. :/

... the winner was one of my least favorite..... TTA 34. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I eliminated TTA 34 in every voting round.

I was backing Astonish 29!

.... that poll taught me a valuable lesson..... that what I think is cool will not always be the benchmark of market consensus..... GOD BLESS...

Exactly.

Which is why I'm puzzled about the rise of "cover keys" like Detective 31. It doesn't feel like the firmest foundation to me. I know I prefer the Tec 29 cover, personally.

Tough to get folks to agree about anything, let alone matters of taste.

.... tec 31 is not even close to my favorite Batman cover..... but I do seem to enjoy many of the covers that OPG deems "classic". PHM covers ? ...... I like TOS 11, or SW 3, or TTA 20, WAY more than TTA 34....... but I suppose that's just my poor outdated taste. GOD BLESS...

tos%2020_zpsfaoxnxeg.jpg

new pick up. Ain't she a beaut?! I'm usually more of a western guy but when I saw this one, I had to take the plunge!

Congrats man :applause: nice book

Personally, I really like TTA 34 and voted for it as best. Something about that cover, a monster on your bedroom ledge, that brings out the little kid out in you. Very simple but scary. I also really like TOS 16, Metallo is Iron Man !

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=11539&GSub=884

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=11545&GSub=884

that and my 18 year old took out a stop light with his car last night.

I'm sorry to hear that, and hope they're ok.

It just looks suspicious when a new purchase someone is so excited about is suddenly being pimped for sale with lightning speed.