• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

I picked up very little in SD, but I did find a very nice Kid Colt 100 which now puts me at having 3 of the 4 Pre-Hero Marvel monster/westerns in nice shape. I don't think I'll ever pay up for a 2GK 56, having had one I struggle to consider it a true "monster" book. But if a sharp copy fell into my lap on the cheap, I wouldn't turn it down.

20160725_120537_zps0pf2hmxu.jpg

20160725_121102_zpswiucgmof.jpg

20160726_174045_zpsmyi3zg1w.jpg

Those are beautiful. I've got the bottom two, I've never run across the others in decent shape for a price I wanted to pay. I may need to get around to scanning my copies.

I think I got my KCO 107 around 1996, my RK 22 around 2006, and my KCO 100 in 2016. A decade per book seems fair, no?

Seems about right for books like these at decent prices! lol

I would have thought Al Williamson. Either way Congrats. (thumbs u

...I've never been sold on that cover as being Burgos..... and I've admired a LOT of Burgos covers. I see a lot of Ditko influences in it....... the city scape in the background, the line work in the lower right..... the faces and hands..... (shrug) ..... but ultimately, I must remind myself that most people really don't care what I think....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I would have thought Al Williamson. Either way Congrats. (thumbs u

...I've never been sold on that cover as being Burgos..... and I've admired a LOT of Burgos covers. I see a lot of Ditko influences in it....... the city scape in the background, the line work in the lower right..... the faces and hands..... (shrug) ..... but ultimately, I must remind myself that most people really don't care what I think....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm no expert on burgos but from a quick review of his covers at the time... I hear what you're saying. I can see both hands in it.

I wonder is there was a small cache of them at some point. I'll need to pull mine out, but as I recall it was a nice one, too.

Thanks all ! The #16 I posted is graded 9.2.

I'll leave the artist discussions to the wiser folks but the GCD has added this blurb :

"From GCD Error #5411 (20 November 2010), Tom Orzechowski states there is a stylization similarity to this cover and the splash page to Tales to Astonish (Marvel, 1959 series) #2,

"The cover shows a solid stylistic similarity to the splash page in Tales to Astonish #2's story "I Spent Eternity in a Deep Freeze." That story is credited to Bob Forgione. ...Toward center right, just this side of the control room, there's detailing that follows the curvature of the gated window for no reason at all, and otherwise is inconsistent with its own angles. Likewise, there's wainscoting, a view screen and some rivets just behind the blurb, on an angle and level inconsistent with the control room immediately above."

Credit for "Bob Forgione ?" added to pencils and inks with Carl Burgos."

Wish someone had cached some #15's - my copy is held together with bubblegum and duct tape.

My #14 isn't much better but at least there is no question who the artist is :

wof_14_cropped_zpsreghwcm3.jpg

-bc

:applause:

But please don't tell me that was your under copy !

-bc

Ah, I'll just hang onto my two 9.8's for now.

lol