• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Trying to quit, what with the deadly respiratory virus running around and all.  Besides, spending the money on old comics instead is way more enjoyable.

I'm all done with that and have been for quite some time, but back in the day ……..   :flamed:   :headbang:   :flamed:   :headbang:    well, you get the idea.  ;)  lol  

4 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

The sumo guy is diaper related, not so much of "making a strong statement" kind of thing.  ;)  lol

You mean like this?

:sumo:   

:tonofbricks: 

3 minutes ago, bc said:

This has been a really great Thursday edition of a "Friday" thread :headbang:

Have a great 4th of July all!

-bc

Indeed!!!! Happy 4th bc and the rest of the gang!!!!  Remember, it's always the guy missing a few fingers wearing an eye patch with the best fireworks! I'm kidding lol Be safe everyone!!! (thumbsu

On 6/30/2020 at 4:16 PM, mysterio said:

I wish, those are stunning copies of two of my favorite JIM covers.

BTW, I saw this copy for sale and thought of you, in case you're looking for one and you think this one is nice enough.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/journey-into-mystery-23-marvel-1955-cgc-vg-fn-50-white-pages/i/800095211.s

Following up on the Competitive Set in the Registry for the PHM issues of JIM, I composed this tentative language - feedback welcome!

To whom it may concern:

I'd like to request a new Competitive Registry Set for the Marvel title Journey into Mystery (1952 series) that specifically includes issues #50 to #82 on behalf of the great members of the Silver-Age Thread “Pre-Hero Marvels!!!!”. This thread originated back in 2004 and still maintains a top 5 status in the Silver Age Forums for both Replies & Views.

Reason for this request: To complete the Pre-Hero Marvel (PHM) subset of the existing Competitive Registry Sets.

Supporting Data: CGC currently has Competitive Registry sets for each of the Pre-Hero Marvel issues except for the Journey into Mystery title. Currently, the closest applicable Competitive Registry Set includes Journey into Mystery #1-#82. This wide range of issues includes the Pre-Code Horror, Post-Code Horror and Pre-Hero Marvel unique periods of this title.

image.png.c4268976c9d2b25770c8fa85d21b0f36.png

As comparison, the longer-running Strange Tales title has a Competitive Registry Set encompassing only the PHM era issues #67 to #100 (interesting that it also includes Strange Tales Annual #1 which also has exclusive PHM content). The Pre-Hero Marvel era begins with the Atlas post-Implosion release of Strange Worlds #1 (Dec 1958 cover date) which includes Lee, Kirby & Ditko original art & writing mainly comprised of 5 page stories. Strange Tales #67 (February 1959 cover date) is the first issue of that title published after Strange Worlds #1 which also includes Lee, Kirby & Ditko 5 page contents. This easily justifies that issue as the sets definitive starting point.

Journey into Mystery #50 fits several of the criteria to be the logical starting point for this new Competitive Set as it:

1.       Also is the first issue of that title to be published after Strange Worlds #1

2.       Also includes the first new Steve Ditko 5 page work in this title

From both a chronological and prerequisite perspective, Journey into Mystery #50-#82 fits the reasonable criteria to justify a new Competitive Registry Set. You have already approved and expended the effort to create the other seven PHM specific sets, this would provide the ability to completely document this well-loved genre.

Value to CGC: This would allow CGC to create a meta-Competitive Set of these popular titles under a Pre-Hero Marvel umbrella without requiring the admin and end user labor of creating a new specific PHM Competitive Set; similar to what is currently being done with the umbrella Silver-Age, Bronze-Age and other collection sets.

Thanks for your time and feel free to reach out to our group for any further clarification needed to approve this request,

Edited by bc
minor add(s)