• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,012 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 11:26 PM, Pantodude said:

Thanks for the info.  As for the quoted part, is there a reason why PHM must be tied to SA per se, such that content of PHM can’t span late GA into SA?  It seems strange to delimit PHM, which by definition is Marvel, with a 1956 date set by a DC book.  

Just my 2c

Pre-Hero Marvels aren't really defined as much by SA or GA, it's based on several criteria:

• Post-Implosion Atlas titles
  • Stories and art use the "T" job codes. This helps delineate content from the pre-implosion era which was used in the early days of the post-implosion titles (JIM & WOF)
  • Of course, you gotta have Lee, Kirby & Ditko
  • Monsters are a plus, but not required
  • The PHM era ends when all the titles convert to superhero content

This era just happens to fall into the traditional "SA" time period.

Anything prior to the PHM timeline is broken down by pre-code & post code which neatly divides the entire Timely/Atlas catalog into manageable categories for collectors to pursue.

But, keep posting those pre-PHM books, they are awesome to see!

-bc

On 8/24/2021 at 1:10 PM, bc said:

Just my 2c

Pre-Hero Marvels aren't really defined as much by SA or GA, it's based on several criteria:

• Post-Implosion Atlas titles
  • Stories and art use the "T" job codes. This helps delineate content from the pre-implosion era which was used in the early days of the post-implosion titles (JIM & WOF)
  • Of course, you gotta have Lee, Kirby & Ditko
  • Monsters are a plus, but not required
  • The PHM era ends when all the titles convert to superhero content

This era just happens to fall into the traditional "SA" time period.

Anything prior to the PHM timeline is broken down by pre-code & post code which neatly divides the entire Timely/Atlas catalog into manageable categories for collectors to pursue.

But, keep posting those pre-PHM books, they are awesome to see!

-bc

For some reason I thought some of those key events happened in 1955 instead of later.  I can see clearly now; the rain is gone!  

Edited by Pantodude

I need some expertise on something I am not  quite sure how to handle , in the early 2000 ‘s I got scam on one particular book (?) I brought it because it was in a great condition ,it was cheap, I was happy to get it  then I received the book and the interior didn’t match the cover … not the same book Inside I contacted the seller, a lots of sorry ,I didn’t know  etc…  long story short I live in Japan so i decided not to send back the book because  it displayed well and I was thinking to get a new one of course that never happed and I kind of quit collecting comics to lost money on restoring a vintage car and producing toys …  fast foward to the present day thanks to the lock down and covid I decided to complete my comics collection, while making the new list of the stuff  I am missing I realized that the comics Inside the cover was published the same month so is it possible it was a mistake at the printer ? or it is a cosmic coincidence that the comics Inside was published at the same time … by the way the comics it’s tales to astonish 13 (cover) and Inside I have the tales of suspense 12 both published the same month .

Of course Groot at the time I got the comics if I recall well was not even  vaguely  the prototype of something so i didn’t care that much about buying a new copy, no hurry it’s not like the value will go up … anyway I am  still wondering if I got scam or if that book is a mistake  ? 

I wonder if CGC can find out if it 's a one time error ? if there is other stories like that or if I was just the victim of a pretty dumb scam 

Edited by bullmark

On 8/27/2021 at 9:37 PM, Frisco Larson said:

LOVE this!!! A great Stan signature with perfect placement!!!! Well done grabbing this one!!!!  :applause:

Thanks, yeah I love these low grade books with a nice sig to pick it up and make it loved again, I need a better pic of it as it is nicer than it looks here :) 

On 8/27/2021 at 2:08 PM, frozentundraguy said:

While we are on the ant topic. Did anyone here bid on and win the 6.5 CGC copy of Strange Tales #73 on Comic Connect this last June?

I took a shot at it but was outbid. (shrug)

ST_73_bidding.jpeg

I did not bid on that one.

So close yet so far :(

"Antman prototype"  :facepalm: Someone please explain this other than "well, it's got this ant, and he controls other ants, sorta like that Antman feller does"

-bc