• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,012 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2021 at 7:15 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

This book completes my TTA #1-101 run!  #17 is the only one that's raw ... and only #1, 6, 7, and 13 (ouch) need to be upgraded from 6.0 to 7.0.

85135779_TalestoAstonish7CGC6.0.jpg.38f8c14d19d3d6d299f23c16c2978a58.jpg

That's FANTASTIC Lou!!!! An awesome achievement for sure!!!  (worship)   (thumbsu

I've been pretty quiet on this thread for the past few months.  Mainly because I haven't had anything to post since all of the shows I wanted to attend last year were cancelled.  Planning on attending 3 in the next few months and hoping to get my hands on some new issues!  Hope you all are doing well, stay safe out there!

On 8/23/2021 at 9:21 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I know this book might not really count as "PHM" but I wasn't sure where to put it.  Not trying to complete every single Atlas run but when I see a #1 in my favorite grade, I grab it.  (This is the only 7.0 in the census.)

1849882771_WorldofMystery1CGC7.0.thumb.jpg.9830bde629540d8d1bb567b93310879c.jpg

Great copy of an issue where not many seem to exist. I found a copy of WOM #6 about 5 years ago, which initiated a 5 year long search to find a copy of issue #1. Now if we can stretch the pre-hero mold to include sci-fi the book is in. (thumbsu

On 8/23/2021 at 10:33 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Now if we can stretch the pre-hero mold to include sci-fi the book is in.

I was wondering about that.  Robots, especially back in the 50s, were typically viewed as "monsters," no?   Usually from outer-space.  I noticed that early in this thread, like 2005, someone remarked that PHM started out with some sci-fi themes/covers early on.  Could that be?  

On 8/23/2021 at 9:53 PM, Pantodude said:

I was wondering about that.  Robots, especially back in the 50s, were typically viewed as "monsters," no?   Usually from outer-space.  I noticed that early in this thread, like 2005, someone remarked that PHM started out with some sci-fi themes/covers early on.  Could that be?  

@bc sent me a spreadsheet he created that lists all of the pre-hero books by title and issue. World of Mystery was included in the implosion era. However Strange Tales and World of Fantasy were included and those titles have robots and sci-fi stories. If we can include the implosion phase of Atlas then it is possible. The only "complication" is that issue #1 of WOM is June of 1956, which predates the start of the Silver Age by a few months.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:13 PM, frozentundraguy said:

The only "complication" is that issue #1 of WOM is June of 1956, which predates the start of the Silver Age by a few months.

Thanks for the info.  As for the quoted part, is there a reason why PHM must be tied to SA per se, such that content of PHM can’t span late GA into SA?  It seems strange to delimit PHM, which by definition is Marvel, with a 1956 date set by a DC book.  

Edited by Pantodude