• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,012 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2024 at 9:51 AM, Frisco Larson said:

That's a LOT of Monstro-ish similarity ... and since I don't have complete sets of any of those titles, I might be missing some! (thumbsu

You got 'em all man (thumbsu

-bc

I was perplexed by the 'top trimmed' note on my copy of Tales To Astonish #16 as it did not look trimmed. I took several other raw copies of Atlas and Marvel books from the same time period to copare heights and TTA #16 seems to be slightly taller than those books. I then thought what if I capture the image of another graded TTA #16 and use paint to size them so the width is the same. Being careful to not distort the books, but it might have happened, I was able to place them side by side. Then I used a ruler to verify the widths were the same. I had use pixels when sizing the two copies. Sure enough the height on my graded copy is slightly less than the book I compared it to.  Is this a valid way to compare books for this? I do not want to deslab mine just to make measuring easier. My copy, on the right, has more space between Thorr's arm and the spine of the book than the other copy.

The comparison photo did not appear as large as I had hoped, new photo. The widths are identical but the book from the blue label slab (on the right) is longer. 

TTA_16_compare_2.thumb.jpg.879613164252a78b1655e48af72ecd80.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 2/3/2024 at 3:38 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I was perplexed by the 'top trimmed' note on my copy of Tales To Astonish #16 as it did not look trimmed. I took several other raw copies of Atlas and Marvel books from the same time period to copare heights and TTA #16 seems to be slightly taller than those books. I then thought what if I capture the image of another graded TTA #16 and use paint to size them so the width is the same. Being careful to not distort the books, but it might have happened, I was able to place them side by side. Then I used a ruler to verify the widths were the same. I had use pixels when sizing the two copies. Sure enough the height on my graded copy is slightly less than the book I compared it to.  Is this a valid way to compare books for this? I do not want to deslab mine just to make measuring easier. My copy, on the right, has more space between Thorr's arm and the spine of the book than the other copy.

The comparison photo did not appear as large as I had hoped, new photo. The widths are identical but the book from the blue label slab (on the right) is longer. 

TTA_16_compare_2.thumb.jpg.879613164252a78b1655e48af72ecd80.jpg

My raw copy is pretty beat, so trying to use it as a standard unit of measurement ain't gonna help.

tta_16_cropped.thumb.jpg.e1359e6a4be798c4b96ea94fac684063.jpg

-bc