• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

Thanks, I'm real happy with the 66. Yeah, I tried to snag the AA # 2 , but it just got to be too much. It actually looked better than the VF grade they gave it. The main story in AA 2 is one of my favorites from all the presupes. Poor boy in the end rubs their noses in it.

Here is my TTA 16. Certainly, not a 9.6 but pretty decent.

TTA  16

Here's my JIM 62 to go with my new # 66

JIM 62

Some other nicer issues I picked up over the years

STR TALES 89

Now here is an interesting story about my TTA # 1.

In the early 1980's, a book shop outside Washington DC (where I use to live) sold comics when ever collections came in. I was going through his boxes, when there was not one, not two but four TTA number ones!!! Of course, I asked the owner how did he come by 4 copies of this HTF issue. He tells me, oh, there were NINE copies mixed in with some old newspapers he had picked up. These were the only ones left. :o

I chose the best one and ,of course,years later, asked myself why didn't I get them All.

TTA 1

TTA 17

I think it was on some previous page of this thread about a reference to the Portsmith, Va. collection. This issue with a little certificate is from that collection.

TTA 21

PORTSM CERT

TTA 23

And the Big Kahuana.

TTA 27

TTA 34

Thanks Jimbo. JIM 66 seems to be a toughy. I have two HG copies of the JIM 62, but could never locate the 66 in HG.

Several of you guys have been posting on this thread for quite awhile. I just recently got into the CGC chatrooms and wondered why I took so long. It's great to find other collectors with similar interests and willing to show off their collections to the rest of us.

I have an idea, why don't each of us assemble, in each our own opinion, the 5 most difficult prehero issues of the "big 4" to locate in say VF or better. It would be interesting on the differences and similar opinions. By combining the lists, an overall consensus could be made of the hardest to find in HG. How about the issue number ranges be:

JIM 50 - 82

ST. TALES 67-100

TTA 1-34

TOS 1-38

I'll start with the TTA and these are in my order of difficulty.

# 3, # 11, #5 ( many always have marv. chipping), # 22, and tough choice between

# 28 or # 32. But I'll say # 28.

Look forward to your responses.

BTW, nice books Bill. Your TTA #5 makes my list look bad, but being a WM pedigree, its sort of an exception. John

Hi John,

Nice haul!

After a 15+ years effort, I managed to obtain all the pre-hero books. Looking back, the most difficult issues I recall locating in HG were the following:

ST #70, #75, (heck, all of the issues in the #70s are toughf), #97, #100

JIM #50, #51, #58, #64

AA #1, #4

TTA & TOS (issues below 13 in both these titles took many years find)

SW #2

WOF #16, #17

Edited by AtlasFan

I think the most difficult copies in HG are JIM 57, TTA1, TOS1. ST 83 and 74. I had a ST 74 come back today from cgc a 7.5, but it was a PLOD :pullhair: minor color touch.

Ow..sorry to hear about the PLOD.

Those are some nice books though...

I love the colors on this one.

JIM_57.jpg

This was also a tough issue to find.

ST_74.jpg

Aye...have a little GROGG matie!

ST_83.jpg

Here's another beauty from that Portsmouth collection....just back from CGC. If not for a couple of staple stresses this almost looks 9.4. This one belongs to my friend and he's thinking of putting it on Clink. Any ideas what he should put on it ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

AAF12f.jpg

Sweet copies!

The ST 85 is one I rarely see in nice shape.
:whistle:

ST_85.jpg

YOWAZAH, what great books Jimbo and Adam. :headbang:

Adam, that ST 85 wouldn't be a WM copy by any chance??

Yes, it's the WM.

Woo hoo, Monstas are back!!! WTTB Rick Starr!! Great books, you'll fit in just fine 'round here!! (thumbs u AS always has those perfect pedigree preheros, which will henceforth be known as Triple P's or P3's or P's to the third power,etc,etc... And AF has all the books, our prehero reference expert.

Here's my latest from 'cross the pond:

TOS28.jpg

TOS33.jpg

TOS34.jpg

Man, it is always tough to follow Adam after he posts his WM books. Startling colors. What an incredible collection.

This is one of the two I picked up from Comic Book World. Still one of the highest graded for this issue. My raw copy has the worst case of MArvel chipping I've ever owned.

BTW, it is shrink-wrapped and I didn't notice the hole until I was posting!

TOS0570001.jpg

This is the second. I don't know if there is another TTA or TOS pre-hero graded this high. It had just sat around unloved for too long. It does mean I've got a nice 9.0 I can part with. :baiting:

TTA1696001.jpg

This is the second. I don't know if there is another TTA or TOS pre-hero graded this high. It had just sat around unloved for too long. It does mean I've got a nice 9.0 I can part with. :baiting:

TTA1696001.jpg

Did you have this book at the Wizard Chicago? I talked to a dealer there for quite some time that had scored a nice big collection of high grade books. We had an interesting conversation on how he came about this collection. He had a book just like this in CGC 9.6. I was amazed at how nice a copy it was. Was it you?

DRX