• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet 43 out tomorrow. Predictions?

111 posts in this topic

FYI you can download the digital version from Heritage

You know, they sent me the links and I could not get the download to work.

:shrug:

I tried it a couple years ago. It's (at least it was then). You had to download some proprietary 3rd party reader and you could only install it on one computer I think.

I tried it a couple years ago. It's (at least it was then). You had to download some proprietary 3rd party reader and you could only install it on one computer I think.

Yeah. Very windows-centric too in my experience!

I picked one up again this year, can't say I was real thrilled with the cover choices though.

When I buy books, I like to include a note with the book that has my purchase data, including what percentage of the current Guide I paid. Also, I find the dealers I like to deal with, if not strictly adhere to, at list use Overstreet as a baseline. So the Guide gives me a ballpark of what I might have to pay.

I mostly buy raws - only buy about a dozen slabs a year, and those usually under $100 - so a GPA subscription doesn't make a lot of sense for me.

I like reading the articles in the back and enjoy looking at the cover photos throughout, always have. I used to enjoy the market reports, but I've found them increasingly tedious and have a hard time finishing them as most contributors don't know how to write a true market report.

Does this year's edition list Silver Samurai's 1st appearance (DD #111) ?

Yes and it's $40 in 9.2

And the 90-day GPA average on a 9.2 DD 111 is $202. :gossip:

The 90-day GPA average on a slabbed DD 111 is $202.

Yes, and? Are you saying that but for the slabbing fees and costs, the difference between Overstreet and GPA on a DD 111 in 9.2 is negligible?

While $202 was the GPA value for a slabbed copy. I've easily sold raw 8.5 for over a $100 in past 6 months. Wolverine movie has fueled a lot of demand, but its also been overlooked in general for some time.

That is why I asked, last year it was listed in a group of books, without any mention of Silver Samurai:

#106 - #120 NM- = 30

I like reading the articles in the back and enjoy looking at the cover photos throughout, always have. I used to enjoy the market reports, but I've found them increasingly tedious and have a hard time finishing them as most contributors don't know how to write a true market report.

What some comic sellers consider to be a "market report" is pathetic. I was struck by how many reports last year said nothing much at all.

I am "using" the digital version they nicely provided for free (as an offer) right now, but it’s almost unsearchable. It’s a proprietary PDF-like format (LockLizard DRM format) and the search function… well, it‘s very likely someone has already snatched that book you were looking for as long as you are done looking for the price… :D

I have one waiting for me at my LCS.

Debates about how 'accurate' the prices are, it is still just a guide and I think other than CGC 9.4 and above and current "hot" books, overall, it is still a good resource/tool to have.

I also like to flip through it randomly and be able to learn something about any comic book. Like say, Popular Comics #1 is the first comic book appearance of Tracy. I didn't know that before as I don't collect it. Even though the market reports vary in quality, I still enjoy reading them and the articles too.

Having said that, I usually only get one once every 3 or so years...

What some comic sellers consider to be a "market report" is pathetic. I was struck by how many reports last year said nothing much at all.

I am reading the reports now, and I can't believe how inane most of them are -- silly ruminations on collecting comics, and the specific rare comics they like to collect. If the guide wants to publish these things, fine, but separate them from the true market reports into a "what I like to collect" or "why I collect" segment.

Many reports are just taking the opportunity to complain that the price guide itself needs to change in certain ways, either from a price or classification standpoint. Aren't these people "Overstreet Advisers" for the most part? I guess I find it interesting if certain books are under or overvalued from their perspective, but it seems they should, in general, get on board with the final product.

From my perspective, the more content other than prices the guide has, the more interesting it is. I generally like the "War Report" for example, and would like to see more specific text on collecting sub-genres within comics.