• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question!

80 posts in this topic

Hi All!!

During this awful week, I decided to get some of my comics appraised for possible sale. I met with a lcs that shall remain anonymous (for now devil.gif) and the guy went through what I brought rather quickly. What I brought wasnt anything to old, in fact they were mainly moderns. But I had brought nearly 850 comics with me and did not expect the answer I recieved!! Before I give the price they quoted, I want to give the list of books I brought and would really like to hear honest thoughts about the values. Again, I know moderns arent going to be worth all that much, but this collection must certainly be worth more then what they were going to give!!

Here is the list, in brief:

Uncanny X-Men #95 - 430 (plus 15 lower graded copies before #95...ranging from #12 to #89 and HG copies #128 - 137...all others varied from VG - NM+)

Wolverine #1 - 189 (plus limited series 1-4) (All NM)

Spawn 1 - 61 (plus mini series) (All NM)

Most of the Alpha Flight run (missing 3 issues)

BTW -- The OS value for all of these (going by the grades I gave them...and believe me, I undergraded big time!!)...was around $4400. No, I didnt expect to get that amount, but I also didnt expect to get the offer I was given either!!

So what should I expect to get for this collection?? confused-smiley-013.gif

If the Overstreet Guide said $4400 the local comic shop said less than $500, didn't they?

I had a guy here in town tell me the routinely pay less than 1/4 of guide and try to lowball grade people snce they are not a "grading service".

Pretty damn lame, aint it??

don't hold out man, what did they offer you?

No Chris...I havent been to where you sent them for nearly a week. I will go there either tomorrow or Sunday.

Hi All!!

During this awful week, I decided to get some of my comics appraised for possible sale. I met with a lcs that shall remain anonymous (for now devil.gif) and the guy went through what I brought rather quickly. What I brought wasnt anything to old, in fact they were mainly moderns. But I had brought nearly 850 comics with me and did not expect the answer I recieved!! Before I give the price they quoted, I want to give the list of books I brought and would really like to hear honest thoughts about the values. Again, I know moderns arent going to be worth all that much, but this collection must certainly be worth more then what they were going to give!!

Here is the list, in brief:

Uncanny X-Men #95 - 430 (plus 15 lower graded copies before #95...ranging from #12 to #89 and HG copies #128 - 137...all others varied from VG - NM+)

Wolverine #1 - 189 (plus limited series 1-4) (All NM)

Spawn 1 - 61 (plus mini series) (All NM)

Most of the Alpha Flight run (missing 3 issues)

BTW -- The OS value for all of these (going by the grades I gave them...and believe me, I undergraded big time!!)...was around $4400. No, I didnt expect to get that amount, but I also didnt expect to get the offer I was given either!!

So what should I expect to get for this collection?? confused-smiley-013.gif

And the answer is,....drum-roll please,......? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

I really can't believe a dealer would offer much more than $300.00 for the lot. He's probably asking himself how many more copies of Alpha Flight, X-Men and Wolverine etc. he needs right now.

These are moderns and as such are ultra common. Also, overstreet does say that many of these are listed at or near cover as far as value goes because they have not as yet been given "collector" status and as such in reality are worth much less.

Your LCS justifies their "sale" prices to cover inventory and overhead costs. In reality, it's not uncommon for a LCS to offer much less than guide on these due to the fact it may take them years to sell them. And they....will be spending a LOT more time and money selling them to j.g. public than you did walking into that shop.

I'm not a comic shop owner, but this I understand.

But, if he offered you less than $100.00 I can't blame you for reacting the way you did,

Just my opinion.