• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDDC 2013 - Preview Night Pictures?

44 posts in this topic

I overheard him quote $160K for his Frazetta Famous Funnies cover as well (which is actually down from where it was offered last year - who says OA dealers can't be reasonable?)

Which issue? hm

I definitely want that cover but I am a few dozen K short at the moment. It went for 105K in 2010-- don't know if that was the last transfer?

here's a pic in case you missed it (2nd row from bottom, 2nd piece from right)

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1033518

I love Fraz, but I'm not a huge fan of this one. If the DK2 cover is the constipated batman then this is Buck Rogers with exploding azz action (shrug)

:roflmao:

I overheard him quote $160K for his Frazetta Famous Funnies cover as well (which is actually down from where it was offered last year - who says OA dealers can't be reasonable?)

Which issue? hm

I definitely want that cover but I am a few dozen K short at the moment. It went for 105K in 2010-- don't know if that was the last transfer?

here's a pic in case you missed it (2nd row from bottom, 2nd piece from right)

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1033518

I love Fraz, but I'm not a huge fan of this one. If the DK2 cover is the constipated batman then this is Buck Rogers with exploding azz action (shrug)

Except that Frazetta could draw better with his feet while drunk than Miller could on the best day of his entire career. :sumo: (Oops, did I type that out loud?)

Hmmm...

A Mike Golden Nam cover...

A Mike Zeck Master of Kung Fu cover...

Noob question: is there a reason why these pieces aren't listed on his website?

(I'm guessing maybe they're brand new inventory?)

Someone posted photos of Albert's booth on CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=78294

Is that the GL 87 Cover I see up there in one of the pics?

That's the unpublished version. The published version was redrawn to have Green Lantern raised up higher on the cover. At some point someone has added all the logos/word balloons/etc. to this unpublished cover. I think it looked nicer without all of the clutter, and it is a bit misleading with it.

Mike

Gene,

Was the Red Nails book available at the show or did they just have a sample copy or sample pages?

I was cautiously optimistic about this and had ordered a copy locally. I am glad to hear that it appears to be a high quality job. I can't wait to hear what will be coming next.

Gary J.

They have loads of copies at the show for sale. I am going to pick one up on Friday; I just couldn't carry it along with everything else I bought yesterday. (thumbs u

I think they did a great job, though I'm a little worried that the paper might wrinkle/wear over repeated readings/viewings vs. the thicker stock that IDW uses.

According to the publisher, the print run will be 4,000 copies, so there should be no shortage. I ordered a copy at my LCS.

Heard of several big deals going down - some involved guys who post here so I won't steal their thunder, but the hot topic last night was that the Cap 101 cover sold to The Brit yesterday (not sure if for full ask or not).

I'll have you know there is more than one Brit who collects art, although I only of a few who in the UK who can spend as much as him.

Heard of several big deals going down - some involved guys who post here so I won't steal their thunder, but the hot topic last night was that the Cap 101 cover sold to The Brit yesterday (not sure if for full ask or not).

I'll have you know there is more than one Brit who collects art, although I only of a few who in the UK who can spend as much as him.

Hence the term "The Brit"

Hence the term "The Brit"

I can think of a couple of others as well but they are less high profile.

Given his celebrity status in the UK and how much he talks about geekdom on his chat shows etc, I have never heard him talk about comic art on TV.

I'm worn out and so my SDCC 2013 is done. Have to say it was a great show for me - probably met close to a dozen collectors I'd never met in person before and had a lot of great conversations with a ton of collectors, dealers and creators. I made one purchase (will be posted in the coming days) and have a couple of other offers still outstanding, so it was productive on that front as well. I also ended up picking up 2 IDW Artist Edition exclusives, the Red Nails book (unfortunately I didn't have my (heavy) copy with me yesterday when Roy Thomas was signing, though I did enjoy meeting and talking with Roy for the first time), an Art Adams print, and the IDW Michael Golden GI Joe Yearbook portfolio (thanks to Albert for the complimentary copy).

Also managed to survive The Walking Dead Escape zombie run for a second year on Friday night with 5 other collectors, went to the Frazetta Jr. panel (sounds like the relaunched museum will have Jr.'s ~25 paintings and be more about interactive learning than having a ton of art), the Gerry Conway panel (got all the first-hand scoop about ASM #121 and other things) and the Vikings panel (big fan of the show, and the season 2 trailer looks outstanding).

Didn't hear about any other big deals going down after Wednesday/Thursday - it seems like those are the days for the big ticket wheeling and dealing while Fri-Sat-Sun saw most of the OA gang doing panels and otherwise taking in the rest of the show.

I will say that the Con has a dangerous atmosphere...hang around some of these guys for too long and they'll make you start believing that you're not spending enough on OA! :whatthe:

$80K is the new $20K

I view $80K as being in a kind of OA "No Man's Land" these days. That kind of money isn't generally enough to get you a cover that's both great and significant by a top artist anymore (Gil Kane or Gene Colan maybe, but not Byrne, Miller, etc.) In most cases, I'd rather get multiple pieces in, say, the $15-$35K range vs. one piece in the $75-$90K range as the latter's asking prices have been dragged up by the strength in the high/super-high end, even though most of the $75-$90K range type pieces aren't really in high demand by the Galactus-class collectors who play in that high/super-high end sandbox. As such, a lot of material in this price range these days just leaves you, in many cases, feeling underwhelmed and scratching your head at the price tag. 2c

I think the Stevens Alien Worlds #2 cover is a great example of his work, though, obviously, it's not iconic like, say, Airboy #5 or Sheena...between that and the more limited market for Stevens vs. mainstream Marvel art, $80K seemed high to everyone I spoke to about it.