• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the gems in your collection?

7 posts in this topic

For me the comics I consider the greatest gems aren't first appearances or super high grades per say or the most desirable or most valuable. They are comics that, at least at this point, are entirely unique as in I own the only one in existence. This to me brings the whole idea of preservation to the forefront. Here is my list of my collections top gems.

4. Western Comics #25, A 9.0 isn't stunning but it does have white pages. What makes this one special is it is the only CGC graded copy in existence.

3. Captain Marvel Adventure #112, This is an investment grade 9.2 with one of my favorite CMA covers of all time. It's also a Crowley Pedigree but those aren't what makes it a gem. There are only 3 graded copies and the next highest grade is a lowly 5.5 so this is the only investment grade copy in existence. If you want to see a high grade issue #112 this is the only one.

2. Western Comics #19, A very nice 9.2 with off-white to white pages. This is one of only three graded issues. The next highest grade is a Mile High Pedigree 8.0 so this one beats even Mile High. I'm also a big fan of the cover.

1. All American Western #122, My biggest gem is my most recent acquisition. It's a beautiful 9.4 with a gorgeous Alex Toth cover and part of the Sixth Street Collection. This comic was actually the motivator for me to write this journal and I was going to mention that it was the ONLY CGC graded copy in existence but it appears another one has just been graded but it's a 9.0 leaving mine still at the top of the heap.

14051.jpg

See more journals by David Swan