• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TWO FACES OF COMMUNISM #nn CGC 9.0

27 posts in this topic

That looks like Gorbachev sans the birthmark...very prophetic.

GLWTS!

Uhh... it's Kruschev. :facepalm:

i know...but for some reason it looks like Gorbachev to me

I guess...and I don't mean to sound racist...all Russian leaders look alike to me.

GLWTS!

I guess...and I don't mean to sound racist...all Russian leaders look alike to me.

Well there is a vague resemblance but… really – Gorbachev and Krushev are the only ones which have vaguely similar face features (Gorbachev is much more gentler, and so he is as a person).

GLWTS!

Well there is a vague resemblance but… really – Gorbachev and Krushev are the only ones which have vaguely similar face features (Gorbachev is much more gentler, and so he is as a person).

Oh, I know he has a gentler demeanor, he just looks like an angry/evil Gorbachev to me...like somebody stole his birthmark and he went a little crazy.

Well, honestly I think Gorbachev marked a big change. I have a translated essay from the famous swiss novelist Friedrich Dürrenmatt (which admired him) and he has really been outstanding to accept to play the role of himself in Wim Wenders' 1993 movie "So Far Away So Close" (so did Peter Falk and Lou Reed). (thumbs u

Well, honestly I think Gorbachev marked a big change. I have a translated essay from the famous swiss novelist Friedrich Dürrenmatt (which admired him) and he has really been outstanding to accept to play the role of himself in Wim Wenders' 1993 movie "So Far Away So Close" (so did Peter Falk and Lou Reed). (thumbs u

I did not know that...thanks.

Yes Gorbachev really did make a big change...changes that led the way to Boris Yeltsin and the fall of Communism in Russia.

Yes Gorbachev really did make a big change...changes that led the way to Boris Yeltsin and the fall of Communism in Russia.

Funny thing I was in Los Angeles when Yeltsin did the "golpe": if you have never seen "Far Away So Close", borrow it: if I had to save a single movie from the late XX century, it would be it. Gorbachev acts (actually "thinks") in russian in the movie, and we are revealed Peter Falk is actually one of the angels previously fallen to earth. It is such an *incredible* movie…

Funny thing I was in Los Angeles when Yeltsin did the "golpe": if you have never seen "Far Away So Close", borrow it: if I had to save a single movie from the late XX century, it would be it. Gorbachev acts (actually "thinks") in russian in the movie, and we are revealed Peter Falk is actually one of the angels previously fallen to earth. It is such an *incredible* movie…

THANKS...i will have to check it out. is it a continuation of Wings of Desire?

Yes, but do not expect it to be similar. "Wings of Desire" gathered more critical acclaim, but "So Far Away So Close" is really something… otherworldly – and more of an action movie too! What more should we ask? :D

It really makes you think about all the choices we make/we made in recent history, how each person’s destiny is shaped by his/her own actions – and Peter Falk and the leading angel character (don’t recall the name of the german actor) alone makes it worthwile… (thumbs u

Not to mention the amazing soundtrack, including the breathtaking "All God’s children" from Simon Bonney, and the rockier "Chaos" (in german) by Herbert Gronemeyer. Really a must!

BTW not to mention the AWESOME role by Wilhelm Dafoe, which I won’t anticipate… ;)

My apologies to the OP for the off-topics, but that movie has really a lot to do with reflections upon communism and nazism as well, so it’s not out of place here, I guess… (thumbs u

Yes, but do not expect it to be similar. "Wings of Desire" gathered more critical acclaim, but "So Far Away So Close" is really something… otherworldly – and more of an action movie too! What more should we ask? :D

It really makes you think about all the choices we make/we made in recent history, how each person’s destiny is shaped by his/her own actions – and Peter Falk and the leading angel character (don’t recall the name of the german actor) alone makes it worthwile… (thumbs u

Not to mention the amazing soundtrack, including the breathtaking "All God’s children" from Simon Bonney, and the rockier "Chaos" (in german) by Herbert Gronemeyer. Really a must!

Thanks...I will definitely check it out. I just saw the 5 hour cut of Until the End of the World so i can go for some more Wenders.

Thanks...I will definitely check it out. I just saw the 5 hour cut of Until the End of the World so i can go for some more Wenders.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but where did you get that? I would love a dvd of Until the End of the World?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but where did you get that? I would love a dvd of Until the End of the World?

I have a multi-region player and I got it from Germany as a 3 disc set. There are just a few minutes where there is no English dialogue, but otherwise it's fine as 99% of the film is in English.

This is the only way you can see it in it's 5 hour form as the US has the butchered version only on DVD.

here is a link to the DVD:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00080SK3G/dvdaficiona0e-21