• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifest Destiny - Skybound - Chris Dingess, Matthew Roberts
1 1

2,663 posts in this topic

I'll be happy when:

1.) people sitting on multiple copies of a book arent trying to pump it up so inexperienced/green people take giant baths on overpriced hype

2.) when a book triples over night, and someone dares to say "caution", they arent attacked by people sitting on multiple copies for daring to ask questions

I want to be watching CNBC, just once, when an analyst presents a bear case, and a bullish analyst accuses him of being down on the stock because he hadn't bought any. :grin:

Not you slym....just me and some other lowly slob sitting on thousands of copies

So you are saying this doesn't happen? You think this didn't happen with Peter Panzerspeculate? or NWR, or EOW, or Bedlam.

Its embarrassing what this modern board has turned into in the last year. Just look at when members joined and it can tell you right there lately.

I got no problem with speculation. Just don't mask it and try to call it something else.

My problem is I speculate and never sell! What does that make me...the dumb speculator! I'm sitting on tons of NWM, Helheim, EoW, etc...granted I do sell enough to cover my cost but I never sell it all to make the profit that I want...I think I'm just lazy.

Like for Manifest Destiny...I'm sitting on 25 Ottley's and about 15 regular...have not sold one yet. Maybe I need to change my tactics!

Edited by John91C

I'll be happy when:

1.) people sitting on multiple copies of a book arent trying to pump it up so inexperienced/green people take giant baths on overpriced hype

2.) when a book triples over night, and someone dares to say "caution", they arent attacked by people sitting on multiple copies for daring to ask questions

I want to be watching CNBC, just once, when an analyst presents a bear case, and a bullish analyst accuses him of being down on the stock because he hadn't bought any. :grin:

I NEVER want to be watching CNBC but I'm a bull through and through. lol

Not you slym....just me and some other lowly slob sitting on thousands of copies

So you are saying this doesn't happen? You think this didn't happen with Peter Panzerspeculate? or NWR, or EOW, or Bedlam.

Its embarrassing what this modern board has turned into in the last year. Just look at when members joined and it can tell you right there lately.

I got no problem with speculation. Just don't mask it and try to call it something else.

It happens in copper and bronze too. Who cares ? If you bought in early on PP and NWM, you made a lot for every dollar spent. EoW made the early guys a little. Bedlam was a loser. If you invested an equal amount in all of them, you made out very well.

What is the difference in this and Rocket Raccoon or Harley Quinn or the Guardians of Galaxy? In the " Top 10 best books ever" discussions, these books never come up and I mean never but Planetary does and sells cheap. Same with the LoEG and until recently, Sandman and Preacher.

I think the problem is, that if people don't like something, they don't understand why other people do and how that snowballs into more growth in dollars the books bring to the market.

I picked up a ton of stuff for $1 each tonight that used to bring big money. Babylon 5 was a great seller 10 years ago, the story hasn't changed but now there is no speculation and therefore, it sits in a $1 bin which was great for me.

I don't think someone's time on this site has anything to do with their expertise in comics. I've been on here less than a year, its a fun place. I've also known the guys who own the LCS in this town since they opened their doors with the lone exception of a guy who opened up 50 years ago. I had a line of credit with him for 2 years. My age those 2 years was 9,10,and 11. Ask Chuck. lol

The point I'm trying to make is this. Modern, Bronze, Silver, Golden, people buy comics for whatever perceived value they have. NOBODY buys a book now that they think they can buy cheaper later. They are nothing more than colored (or not) paper with stories and pictures. What real value do any of them have other than what its worth to have it for the guy with the money ?

I can only hope the people who claim with utmost certainty that this book has "speculator driven speculation" as its only driving force will be proved wrong.

I can only hope.

:)

-slym

The problem is that they will never admit they were wrong.

We'll I'll never admit it :lol:

I think it's interesting that no matter what forum site you visit....comics, sports, Ebooks, whatever, there are certain posters that have similar traits. They're basically the same people but different nicknames.

Edited by krighton

I can only hope the people who claim with utmost certainty that this book has "speculator driven speculation" as its only driving force will be proved wrong.

I can only hope.

-slym

Ok, I'll bite: Since I've voiced my opinion that I think the recent success of MD is speculator driven, I will gladly admit I was wrong if I'm proved wrong. Any news of movie/TV adaptation voids this commitment, but if this title continues to grow in price simply because it's a great book, then I will post my apology in this thread. :)

I have no pride. I WANT this book to do well because I still have a stack (:roflmao:). I didn't know it was such a no-no to voice a contrary opinion in the Modern section, I thought that's what makes these forums engaging and interesting, but apparently it's perceived as negative and abrasive.

Let's see what time holds in store :wishluck: Cheers!

-slym

I claim the book is speculation driven. But, with utmost certainty? No.

It IS a good book, with a very cool premise. If it's not speculator driven, we should see some rising sales.

I think much of it is speculator driven which suits me fine since I kept picking up #1 regulars and Ottleys until the LCS was sold out, didn't get a LBCC though but that's the breaks. It's a great book, very well done with a smaller print run compared to the more hyped up Image #1's, and the variant count in minimal.

I gotta hand it to Image, their quality to ratio is astounding. The dozen or so books I get from them each month, or whenever they come out, weren't even around a year and a half ago except for Walking Dead.

Bedlam, Revival, Clone, Todd, Sheltered, Peter Panzerfaust, Ten Grand, Jupiter's Legacy, Sex Criminals, Velvet, Dead Body Road, Manifest Destiny

Reminds me of the old Marvel days when 80% of what they did kicked

ROFL, very good point ;)

I can only hope.

-slym

Ok, I'll bite: Since I've voiced my opinion that I think the recent success of MD is speculator driven, I will gladly admit I was wrong if I'm proved wrong. Any news of movie/TV adaptation voids this commitment, but if this title continues to grow in price simply because it's a great book, then I will post my apology in this thread. :)

I have no pride. I WANT this book to do well because I still have a stack (:roflmao:). I didn't know it was such a no-no to voice a contrary opinion in the Modern section, I thought that's what makes these forums engaging and interesting, but apparently it's perceived as negative and abrasive.

Let's see what time holds in store :wishluck: Cheers!

This is a really big problem here in the modern forum. I don't trust anyone that can't accept a contrary opinion and I never trust anyone that accuses me of bias simply because I have a different opinion than they do. If someone insinuates that my opinion of a book is based on how many copies I own, I don't trust that person and I find this insulting. First, how the hell do you know how many copies of any book I have. Second and more importantly, this insults my integrity by suggesting that I would blow smoke up someone's to sell or attempt to sink a comic book.

I do this because it's fun...I'm not pragmatic about it and my collecting isn't steeped in logic and studying past ups and downs in order to maximize profit.

I buy some quantity of what I like to read...hold on to stuff longer than I should and rejoice when a comic goes up in price because that means I can sell some and continue the process all over again.

To me it's a hobby, not a business, so I don't take it as serious as the Bill Nye crowd. I'm just not as insidious or calculating as people might think, but that's how it is.

To all those who only see dishonest motives in some peoples collecting habits, not everyone speculating uses a shill, is a cold and calculating money baron or a deceiver pumping up the stock of their massive comic hoard.

My problem is I speculate and never sell! What does that make me...the dumb speculator! I'm sitting on tons of NWM, Helheim, EoW, etc...granted I do sell enough to cover my cost but I never sell it all to make the profit that I want...I think I'm just lazy.

Like for Manifest Destiny...I'm sitting on 25 Ottley's and about 15 regular...have not sold one yet. Maybe I need to change my tactics!

+1