• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase your best Platinum age in your collection

88 posts in this topic

Had seen this Buster Brown Drawing Book before. It's fun because it is a wild, action-packed story. Notable for featuring an early comic celebrity team-up / crossover - Buster Brown, The Yellow Kid, AND Pore Li'l Mose! And is that Buddy Bear in there, too?

Wondered more about the book and how it was distributed.

Recently found this complete box set. Includes box, paint tray, envelope with instructions printed on it, and a copy of the booklet. The envelope contains little cloth strips with pigment in them, which children would place in the paint tray and add water to make paint.

Nice to find the comic in the original complete package!

That's really interesting and thanks for posting. They must have made this postcard after the coloring book...or perhaps the postcard came first?

yellowkidpostcardrevamped_zps2623b17a.jpg

Had seen this Buster Brown Drawing Book before. It's fun because it is a wild, action-packed story. Notable for featuring an early comic celebrity team-up / crossover - Buster Brown, The Yellow Kid, AND Pore Li'l Mose! And is that Buddy Bear in there, too?

Wondered more about the book and how it was distributed.

Recently found this complete box set. Includes box, paint tray, envelope with instructions printed on it, and a copy of the booklet. The envelope contains little cloth strips with pigment in them, which children would place in the paint tray and add water to make paint.

Nice to find the comic in the original complete package!

As you indicated, the Drawing Book shows up on a regular basis. However, this is the first time that I have seen the complete boxed set and I think you made a major discovery.

Two technical points. The first is that it is "Billie Bear" and Mose sometimes even referred to him as "Li'l Billie Bear." Clearly his popularity was due in part to Roosevelt creating a bear mania. Billie was even used on postcards, valentines, and other media by himself because of his popularity.

The second is that in 1903 the Burr-McIntosh Magazine published a partially colored 10-postcard set by Oucault titled "Buster Brown and His Bubble." This was a story about BB getting a new car and his adventures. Half of the cards had the Yellow Kid and Pore Li'l Mose and his entourage, which included Billie Bear, appearing with BB. At the time, Outcault called it the finest work that he had ever produced. The cards were also available in a large size, larger than a sheet of paper as I recall, and they were often imprinted with the name of an advertiser like a new car dealer, and these are as rare as the postcards are common. If you type "Outcault" in the eBay search line, most of the postcards are pictured and available on any given day.

Just read your post. Thanks for answering my question.

Arch Dale's Round The World With The DooDads

Wow, love that art.

Has a Dr. Seuss look to it.

That's what I thought too. Since this pre-dated Dr Seuss's work, I guess Dr Seuss had a Arch Dale feel!

Here's another Arch Dale DooDads book from 1922...

140842.jpg.7030c96c55c880b14bc0e91b6169c9e3.jpg

140843.jpg.0bc4616dd2e0afcdd832fe523dbebede.jpg

Worth waiting...

Been looking for a copy of this 1905 comic book for over 10 years...

Listed as earliest known daily newspaper strip reprint book.

The copy I found appears to be a previously unknown hardcover version. :headbang:

140844.jpg.3dfbc57dbea8aac52f1ba8084e40e2b3.jpg

140846.jpg.703f04a289175707ffdab5b0cceeeadc.jpg

140847.jpg.283c8445459a94bcee3df55f3e262b26.jpg

140848.jpg.617115296e3cc15cf66945cc25b8a54e.jpg

140849.jpg.76f3b6a63a435bd8cfec515a306860f1.jpg

As a point of clarification, it is listed as the earliest known daily newspaper strip reprint book. The Sunday strips started being reprinted before 1900 with E. W. Kemble's The Blackberries and shortly after 1900 with R. F. Outcault's Pore Li'l Mose and then the Buster Brown strips, as well as many other titles, e.g., Foxy Grandpa.