• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grease inside CGC slab?

13 posts in this topic

I'm new to CGC slabs and the first one I purchased had some greasy substance inside the case in a few different areas. You can see a rainbow of colors in the substance, and some places where the sleeve presses against the front of the case it creates that "wet" look. Some of the streaks are a few inches long. It this common for CGC slabs? None of this visible from some pictures/scans (I purchased online). My main concern is I just want to make sure I won't run into any issue should I decide to part with the book. As far as I can tell the slab doesn't appear to be tampered with.

This is common, don't let it worry you. You can often 'fix' it by sliding a piece of paper

inside the outer well, along the sides where there is a slight opening. By sliding the paper you can separate the inner and outer well so that they are not touching, thus eliminating the probelm. However, it will often come back or move to another location.

Common problem, good solution (although sometimes the problem comes back). Unlike some other problems being discussed lately, there doesn't seem to be any doubt that, although it may look unsightly, there actually isn't any liquid inside the case and so no chance of the book being damaged.

And ... welcome to the boards!

Personally, I think it is caused by the two types of plastic have different refractive indices causing dispersion of light waves, just like in a prism.

Personally, I think it is caused by the two types of plastic have different refractive indices causing dispersion of light waves, just like in a prism.

Jeff's not a Physicist, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :banana:

one person recommended putting it in a dish washer in the first post about this subject...

I just tried this on some of my slabs. Now what do you recommend I do to get the dishwashing soap out of the slab?

:insane: