• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it slow on the board tonight?

76 posts in this topic

On your recommendations, I'll cycle into my "watch immediately" list. Thanks guys. thumbsup2.gif

Red, you will either love it or hate it, but I promise you, you'll never forget it...

So I decided to rent Fight Club for the first time....on you all's recommendations..... and I pop it into my computer and start watching while I'm working on my current assignment. So here's Brad Pitt and Ed Norton meeting for the first time on a plane, and they start talking about the docile expressions of the people shown on the flight cards......

Well, here's a screen shot of my computer, and what I'm working on while I'm playing the movie in the corner of my screen. Sorry if you have to scroll right.

Creeped me out a little. Guess I need to make her a little happier looking....

synchronicity.jpg

WOOO!! 43 ITEM IN YOUR TRAY !!! BUSY BUSY !! hail.gif893whatthe.giffrustrated.gif

Done. Thank you for an interesting recommendation gentlemen........

I think they slipped "The Anarchists Cookbook" into the DVD case by mistake. foreheadslap.gif

Watch it again..it gets better each time..yes I know hard to believe seeing it's already this good to start with thumbsup2.gif

I will definitely put it down for another, less interrupted viewing. But till then, here are some of the questions I came away with......

• Is Fight Club a "young guy's movie"? Is it the ultimate drop-out movie for the X-Box generation?

• Would it appeal mainly to the fantasies of someone locked into a boring 9 - 5 job?

• Is Fight Club (in the movie) something you do when you're just bored out of your skull?

• Is Fight Club (in the movie) ultimately good or bad?

• Henry Miller (Tropic of Cancer) fully explored the idea of living "off the grid" about 75 years ago. Without the concussions. That was cooler.

• It seems the guys who joined FC were so desperate to feel anything that even a broken nose or a ruptured spleen was preferable to being comfortably numb. The anarchist actions of the group seemed a hopped up attempt to, as Jack Black put it elsewhere....."putting it to THE MAN!" Agree?

• Finally, is it better not to bother with questions like these, and just enjoy it as a wacky action movie.

Grandpa Red

I will definitely put it down for another, less interrupted viewing. But till then, here are some of the questions I came away with......

• Is Fight Club a "young guy's movie"? Is it the ultimate drop-out movie for the X-Box generation?

• Would it appeal mainly to the fantasies of someone locked into a boring 9 - 5 job?

• Is Fight Club (in the movie) something you do when you're just bored out of your skull?

• Is Fight Club (in the movie) ultimately good or bad?

• Henry Miller (Tropic of Cancer) fully explored the idea of living "off the grid" about 75 years ago. Without the concussions. That was cooler.

• It seems the guys who joined FC were so desperate to feel anything that even a broken nose or a ruptured spleen was preferable to being comfortably numb. The anarchist actions of the group seemed a hopped up attempt to, as Jack Black put it elsewhere....."putting it to THE MAN!" Agree?

• Finally, is it better not to bother with questions like these, and just enjoy it as a wacky action movie.

Grandpa Red

It's pretty hard to explain what I liked about Fight Club without giving away THE major spoiler...the premise that holds the whole film together...

But at about 10 minutes before the end when your jaw drops to the floor because of this revelation you might not realize how well the movie is made technically (both in terms of acting and scripting)

When you watch the movie a second time you'll have at least 10 moments where you want to scream out "Of Course....I shoulda known"...

For me the whole Fight Club backstory is just that a backstory, used to fuel Jack's complete feeling of isolation and alienation...

MINOR SPOILER : (written in white on white, just highlight it with your cursor to read)

START And what do little kids do when they feel alienated and alone ?? Right they make up a friend... END

Oh and I like your usuage of comfortably numb fits perfectly into the frame of the movie thumbsup2.gif

Philip K. had a similar revelation in one of his later novels, Valis.......in which the two main characters....well, you know. Something tells me the author of FC might have been familiar with Valis.

I'll definitely give FC another, closer viewing. Thanks, Chrome.

Finally, I found this quote from Tropic of Cancer that came to mind when watching FC....

"I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive." Henry Miller, 1934