• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of a discount should a person get on approximately $14,000 worth...

102 posts in this topic

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where it is, and how big, literally kills that book. Would be lucky to get half of what the true market value of the book is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Half seems an exaggeration...70% to 90% is more like it. I don't buy books with prominent writing like that, but for some odd reason, there are plenty of people who don't seem to mind it much. Don't ask me why.

I don't know. First of all, the higher the grade, the more affect it will have on the price (similar to CR-OW pages). Plus, did you look at the arrival date. It's Huge and in the MIDDLE of the book. 893whatthe.gif

that's the whole reason you got a deal on most of the books... it's because the books themselves don't seem to be all that rare...

I don't know whether or not the DCs are rare because I don't collect them, but I am pretty sure FF #25, TOS #52, JIM #114, TTA #50, #60 are not plentiful in HG.

And as I said with the grading before, I haven't seen one dealer, outside of Gary Platt, who knew how to grade at the Clifton or Wayne shows. Once in awhile you can find a gem there, but other than mid grade, or overgraded NMs that are really VFs, you'll have a tough time finding a real bargain there.

not that the no minimum bid auction in wayne isn't a lot of fun...

I am not sure who Gary Platt is, but (and I am guessing here) I think he is the guy with the widest selection of HG SA and BA who was front and center when you walk through the door at Clifton and also set up at the Big Apple Con (only Clifton dealer I seen there). If it is I didn't buy anything off of him. He has a lot of good stuff, but I am just not willing to spend what he is asking. I don't buy comics based on what someone else grades them. I look at the comics myself and make an offer that I am comfortable with. As for Clifton with the transaction I just finished this morning I have sold off the DCs of the lot of comics I bought for $278 (which I bought specifically to sell) for over $300 and I still get the keep the Marvels I really wanted in that same lot like Capt. America #104 9.0, Capt. Marvel #s 32, 34, 38, 39, 42, 43, 44, 46, 57 all in 9.4 or better, Strange Tales #179 8.5, TOS #80, 87both 8.5, TTA #91 9.2, #96 7.0, Warlock #9 9.0, and #10 9.2. I think that is doing pretty good and ahead of the game, but I could be wrong. confused-smiley-013.gif

i wouldn't call those books "rare". But I would guess most of those books were in 9.0 or so, and in that grade, I don't find them to be "rare" at all. Also, not common either but...

And listen, for the time and cash you outlaid on your $278, to make a little over $300 is a very thin margin when you factor in your time and effort as well.

I'm not saying you're behind in the deal, what I'm saying is that this was a good deal for you more on the collector end than the financial end. Listen, I'm happy that you found something that you like, and grading that you're satisfied with, but if past Clifton shows are any indication, I think this dealer overgraded the stock, and you might be a little generous in grading any books you've gotten there.

However, overall, I still think you did well on the deal -- but really, most of the books you've listed are fairly common books in 9.0 -- JIM 114 (have seen a lot of 8.5 copies), TTA 52 (hard in 9.4 or 9.6), TTA 60 (hard in 9.4 or 9.6) FF 25 (hard in 9.4 or 9.6) ... otherwise, below 9.4 these are books I've seen multiple times both raw and slabbed in the past year. Although I like all of these books, and the scans you showed have some nice books, I think you got a good deal, but unless you wanted to drop around $14k, you didn't need to in order to get a real nice deal.

Since you bought the DCs to sell -- I'd say that wasn't worth it. Turning a profit of $22 to $30 (when you factor in time, effort and labor) is basically meaningless.

i wouldn't call those books "rare". But I would guess most of those books were in 9.0 or so, and in that grade, I don't find them to be "rare" at all. Also, not common either but...

Fair enough. To me they are rare. Meaning I can't go on Ebay, ComicLink, HighGradeComics, HeritageComics etc... and find multilple HG copies to choose from to buy.

And listen, for the time and cash you outlaid on your $278, to make a little over $300 is a very thin margin when you factor in your time and effort as well.

I agree it is a thin margin dollar wise, but I still get to keep the following comics from that same $278 deal: Capt. America #104 9.0, Capt. Marvel #s 32, 34, 38, 39, 42, 43, 44, 46, 57 all in 9.4 or better, Strange Tales #179 8.5, TOS #80, 87both 8.5, TTA #91 9.2, #96 7.0, Warlock #9 9.0, and #10 9.2.

I think you got a good deal, but unless you wanted to drop around $14k, you didn't need to in order to get a real nice deal.

I think our wires are crossed and I haven't been clear enough. I didn't drop 14k on the books. I dropped approximately $8,700 on books I value at $13,600.

Since you bought the DCs to sell -- I'd say that wasn't worth it. Turning a profit of $22 to $30 (when you factor in time, effort and labor) is basically meaningless.

You are right about the DCs. I paid $900 for what I value at $1,159 worth of DCs (the worst of the 5 deals I made with the one dealer). Proof that a person shouldn't buy what they don't like. Probably the only way I could possibly make money on those is if I CGC them because I am not going to get close to guide selling them raw on Ebay as I have found out recently in my auctions.

I'm not saying you can. What I am saying is that if you spend 6 months looking, you will find multiple copies of those books at times.

Yeah, $8k or so isn't quite as much, but here's the thing, if you're happy with the deal then that's all that really counts. If you're asking us to evaluate the deal it's tough because we don't a) know the dealer, b) know the grading or c) know all of the books involved.

So the bottom line is this, if you think you got a great deal then you did, and you're happy you added books without over extending your finances, you made a good purchase.

You don't need our feedback if you are confident in your buying and selling ability.

Not at all. I am confident, but that doesn't mean I am 100% sure. I find all feedback useful whether it is harsh or good. You don't learn unless you ask. My selling ability has just been proving to be very lacking looking at my auctions yesterday. I was really expecting to do better on those Swamp Things, Kamandis, and Showcase #60. I put huge digital pics (not as good as a scanner, but still pretty good). For the price I got those I would still buy them again, but I would research a bit more before I sell. Basically, I proved I don't know 893censored-thumb.gif about DCs and was lucky to make a little money on that Clifton deal and get to keep the Marvels.

I'm not saying you can. What I am saying is that if you spend 6 months looking, you will find multiple copies of those books at times.

Yeah, $8k or so isn't quite as much, but here's the thing, if you're happy with the deal then that's all that really counts. If you're asking us to evaluate the deal it's tough because we don't a) know the dealer, b) know the grading or c) know all of the books involved.

So the bottom line is this, if you think you got a great deal then you did, and you're happy you added books without over extending your finances, you made a good purchase.

If you know where to find multiple copies of TOS#52 in 9.2, please tell me. If you can find me a 9.4, I'll be your best friend. For a 9.6, I'll paint your house for free.

seems to me the problem i snot your selling tactics, its using ebay for those kind of books. The others will correct me if Im wrong, but it been quite a while since anything put on ebay sells for healthy numbers. Only the 9.8 and 9.6 oddities command bissing wars nowadays on Bronze books. Everything else in "mid-high grade" is flea market time.

as for your deal if you bought a bunch of books for $300 and sold half of them for $278, keeping the rest, Id say you were well ahead...

but what did you get that added up to the other $8000??

TOS 52 -- in 9.2?

I'll definitely send you links the next time I find them -- I know I've already seen at least one this year.

OK. And seriously -- if you find one in 9.6, I will paint your whole house. grin.gif

You don't need our feedback if you are confident in your buying and selling ability.

Not at all. I am confident, but that doesn't mean I am 100% sure. I find all feedback useful whether it is harsh or good. You don't learn unless you ask. My selling ability has just been proving to be very lacking looking at my auctions yesterday. I was really expecting to do better on those Swamp Things, Kamandis, and Showcase #60. I put huge digital pics (not as good as a scanner, but still pretty good). For the price I got those I would still buy them again, but I would research a bit more before I sell. Basically, I proved I don't know 893censored-thumb.gif about DCs and was lucky to make a little money on that Clifton deal and get to keep the Marvels.

On e-Bay, you need to do real volume to make any money.

If you can get a 10% markup you are doing well.As your feedback grows more people will watch your auctions.

Its not your selling abilities at all.e-Bayis the worlds largest flea market,nothing more.

but what did you get that added up to the other $8000??

DCs

Adventure Comics #435

Batman #185

DC 100 Page Spectacular #DC-18, DC-20

Detective #412, 439, 468

Flash #218

Justice League of America #41, 50

Strange Adventures #213

Superman #222

Superman Family #164

Superman's Girlfriend #53, 64

World's Finest #170

Marvels

Amazing Spider-man #53, #129

Avengers #9, 11, 77, 79

Captian America #107, 108,

Daredevil #41, 42, 46, 92

Defenders #2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 15, 16, 23

Fantastic Four #25, 60, 64, 67, 80, 81, 83, 109, 129, 144

Giant Size Defenders #1, 2, 3

Gian Size Super Stars #1

G.I. Joe #21

Incredible Hulk #110, 112, 113, 122, 162

Ironman #5, 7

Journey Into Mystery #114, 124

Marvel Spotlight #11

Marvel Team-Up #7, 9, 14, 18

Nick Fury, Agent Of Shield # 3x2, 6, 7x2

Strange Tales #168

Tales Of Suspense #52, 90

Tales To Astonish #50, 60, 79, 85

Thor #153, 190, 192, 197

Tomb Of Dracula #6

Werewolf By Night #32

X-men #21, 30, 45, 46, 52, 117, 125, 127, 129

Warlock #1, 10

136 is nice.

and let's say I count those keys as difficult... that $8k is a lot for some very, very common books on that list -- wow. i can't imagine laying out that kind of money for those books all at once or even over the course of two months or so. There's just no "wow" factor there -- even the keys are minor keys at best. Some might be a little difficult, but man I don't think I could have pulled the trigger on that. $8k could have paid for more significant key, or better yet, a nice vacation somewhere instead of some common run books -- but again, if you like the deal, then that's the only thing that counts.