• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

American Splendor...

22 posts in this topic

...I caught this on HBO/Starz or something over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised.

I don't think a straight mix of reality/re-creation has even been done so successfully. The character actors were dead-on in their portrayals, from what I could see.

Does anyone know why they did not use the actual footage of Pekar's final Letterman appearance? I got the impression that it aired, and I think they used the real audio. They did use footage of his earlier appearances.

Also, what was the GN that Pekar and his wife produced?

...I caught this on HBO/Starz or something over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised.

I don't think a straight mix of reality/re-creation has even been done so successfully. The character actors were dead-on in their portrayals, from what I could see.

Does anyone know why they did not use the actual footage of Pekar's final Letterman appearance? I got the impression that it aired, and I think they used the real audio. They did use footage of his earlier appearances.

Also, what was the GN that Pekar and his wife produced?

It aired on HBO Saturday!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!

I have no idea about the Letterman thing, though I have wondered why they did that myself. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif (But I think you're right-- I think that was the real audio from the interview.)

The GN he and his wife made? "Our Cancer Year"? Is that the one you're talking about?

I love that movie. It's worth owning on DVD IMO.

Loved the movie as well, even though I had to wait until August to see it... (Hellboy hasn't even been released in our theaters yet, Mid-October is the "premiere" foreheadslap.gif)

Does the DVD have any notable extras ?

I would think the same thing, except they used actual footage from at least three other appearances - and not "fair use" stuff, either. It was enough footage that they would have needed permission.

I'm thinking they were denied permission to use the footage of the final appearance by the network/Letterman. Speculation on my part.

Excellent movie. I would assume there were legal issues with using the Letterman footage, but I don't know what. Any lawyers out there want to venture a guess?

I would think the same thing, except they used actual footage from at least three other appearances - and not "fair use" stuff, either. It was enough footage that they would have needed permission.

I'm thinking they were denied permission to use the footage of the final appearance by the network/Letterman. Speculation on my part.

Excellent movie. I would assume there were legal issues with using the Letterman footage, but I don't know what. Any lawyers out there want to venture a guess?

I bet the full story is on the DVD somewhere... Surely they reveal it in the director's commentary or something.

The DVD has a nice audio commentary with Harvey, Toby and Joyce and the filmmakers. They mentioned that they couldn't get the rights to use the "Harvey blowup" Letterman, but the Letterman people were pretty decent and let them use any other Letterman apperances. Harvey doesn't talk as much as Joyce on the commentary (not a suprise wink.gif ), they take about why they changed Frank Stack stuff around a bit, and at one point Harvey's cell phone goes off and he takes the call while doing the commentary. Classic Harvey.

Well worth the purchase, IMO.

The movie was really well done, I caught it again on HBO and was struck again how spot on the actors were.

Thanks Bob! Letterman was probably right to do that, since they didn't want to promote future "stunts" of the same ilk. I was more surprised they even aired it at all.

What really struck me was no matter how miserable Pekar was/is, he was still a "comic" figure. Not that there wasn't ample comedy with his uber-alpha-nerd cohort. When the real dude made his first appearance in the movie I nearly lost it. I thought for sure he was being exaggerated for effect. And it became clear the Pekar character was not exaggerated either.

Like the comics, it was an attempt at depicting reality. A skewed, absurd, bleak reality. But reality nontheless. Quite refreshing.

Made the story entertaining rather than depressing.

takeit.gif

The DVD has a nice audio commentary with Harvey, Toby and Joyce and the filmmakers. They mentioned that they couldn't get the rights to use the "Harvey blowup" Letterman, but the Letterman people were pretty decent and let them use any other Letterman apperances. Harvey doesn't talk as much as Joyce on the commentary (not a suprise wink.gif ), they take about why they changed Frank Stack stuff around a bit, and at one point Harvey's cell phone goes off and he takes the call while doing the commentary. Classic Harvey.

Well worth the purchase, IMO.

The movie was really well done, I caught it again on HBO and was struck again how spot on the actors were.

I caught it as well on Saturday night.

The most surprising thing was that my wife ( who is not a comic fan) actually liked it, perhaps more than I did.

Did Harvey ever make up with Letterman? from what I am reading here it sounds like he did not.

It also appeared that he finally "retired" from his file clerk job. I sure hope so.

Has harvey been on any other shows? It seems like he may be a nutural fit for Howard Stern

601561-cat_with_attitude_21.jpg.447ea86ddf75b6514cc8af80a9f31ecb.jpg

Yes, Letterman and Harvey made up, and he was back on the show a few more times. One of his later comics Harvey goes into this. Harvey hasn't been on the CBS show. He was invited, but then he was cancelled and never got back on. Harvey had some reasoning why he wasn't invited back but I can't remember exactly what it was...

Yes, Harvey is retired as a file clerk.

You know, I doubt Harvery would ever do Stern, but when I thought about it, I would think that is one guest who could handle Stern very well 27_laughing.gif

Does the DVD have any notable extras ?

I highly recommend the DVD extra footage. One segment shows the Pekars attending the Cannes Film Festival, in which the film is entered, and it is a most hilarious collision of two alien worlds.

There is a little cool cartooning in the extras, too. Terrific movie, which had more humanity than 10 Hollywood productions combined.

Fantastic movie.

I wish I had seen it in the theatre. Hell, my wife even loved it.

What is that guy's name....Giannini...Gianni...Giamatti....freakin' brilliant.

Anyone who liked this movie should also see "CRUMB" ....a documentary about the artist. Sick and twisted.

No sheeeit! Never realized he was Bart's son. BTW, I've got the first 14 or 15 issues of American Splendor ( I guess they're all available in compendiums now ). Great reads, and hysterically funny, in Harvey's dark manner. He might be the Henry Miller of comic books.

Man! Never knew about this film. Only know American Splendor from perusing a few copies years and years ago. So basically came into it as a novice I had Tivo record it when I read this thread and saw it last night (wodescreen too!).

Basically, I was blown away. There is no question I will seek out the DVD, and also whatever I can of American Splendor.

I would have to say this is the most completetly satisfying movie I have seen in a LONG time.

Did it strike anyone else that Larry Bud Melman from the older Letterman shows (see image below) is like an older Toby The Nerd? (gotta love Melman and Toby).

melman.jpg

Toby is some kind of Nerd Diety as far as I'm concerned. I think the thing that really wins me over is that he seems totally comfortable with himself. There is a zen thing going on there.

Or maybe it's just super-nerdiness. Whatever, he's great.