• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you calculate the value of RAW comics graded 9.4...

15 posts in this topic

OS created a dilemna when they simply changed the column label from "NM/9.4" in last year's guide to "9.2" this year, without adjusting the prices. Is every 9.2 suddenly worth what 9.4's were selling for last year (and some more since the top end price listing went up)? Did my entire collection of NM- comics suddenly appreciate by 50% due to a clerical adjustment? No...I don't think so, and that's why I look at the 9.2 guide price as the raw 9.4 price.

Dealers have just about always priced NM copies above guide, which explains what you're seeing. It's a big problem indeed!

Finally, if it's really in NM and worth over $100, look at GPA to see what the book actually sells for and just ignore overstreet... thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the input. Guess I should look into GPA. Is that just for CGC books or does it include RAW sells? I am debating on whether to spend the money to slab some of my books. I think I am going to end up slabbing if I want to continue to sell on Ebay.

GPA is slabbed books only. If your raw books are accurately graded, then I believe that an appropriate way to value them is to take the GPA data and subtract some for grading fees, shipping to and from CGC, and a little extra for the wait time.

Does anyone know of a person who sells RAW HG books on Ebay and consistantly gets near guide or above guide prices. I would be interested in seeing how they list.

Huge huge scans and a flawless feedback rating with multiple instances of 9.4s being 9.4s and so on, that'll be the rare seller that will get ME to pay guide for a raw HG book.

I will happily pay 5 times guide 9.2 for a nice CGC 9.6, but I don't pay over 80% guide 9.2 for something someone says is 9.6. I'm sure there are plenty of others who do the same.

Does anyone know of a person who sells RAW HG books on Ebay and consistantly gets near guide or above guide prices. I would be interested in seeing how they list.

Huge huge scans and a flawless feedback rating with multiple instances of 9.4s being 9.4s and so on, that'll be the rare seller that will get ME to pay guide for a raw HG book.

I will happily pay 5 times guide 9.2 for a nice CGC 9.6, but I don't pay over 80% guide 9.2 for something someone says is 9.6. I'm sure there are plenty of others who do the same.

I usually do well with higher grade raw books, but a lot of that depends on the title and who happens to be looking at the time...

Thanks for the input. Guess I should look into GPA. Is that just for CGC books or does it include RAW sells? I am debating on whether to spend the money to slab some of my books. I think I am going to end up slabbing if I want to continue to sell on Ebay.

If you really believe many of your books are 9.4 (or higher) you should get them CGC'd.

But if you buy CGC books that are 9.6, then you are buying a book that someone else says is a 9.6.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But if you buy CGC books that are 9.6, then you are buying a book that someone else says is a 9.6.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif

If you really believe many of your books are 9.4 (or higher) you should get them CGC'd.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I am as sure as I can be that quite a few of them are in the 9.2-9.4 range. I would be happy if some come back 9.2 or even 9.0. I own quite a few CGC comics and I think my grading is as consistant as theirs especially when I can put a CGC 9.4 up against a raw book I think is 9.4 and compare the conditions.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But the difference is CGC is impartial, and has no finacial interest in the book. Unlike dealers and eBay sellers.

CGC's grade is also a consensus of at least 3 grading opinions and not just what 'one guy' says.

Without meaning to a$$-kiss, the honest truth is that Banner is the only ebay seller whose grading on raw, high grade books has been consistently satisfactory

to me. There are a few other sellers who are mostly reliable and whose auctions

I am not terrified to bid on, but not many, alas. frown.gif

In the days when most of Doc's books on ebay were raw, that would have been

a pretty reliable indicator.