• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Darkhawk Appreciation Thread
3 3

689 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2023 at 6:08 PM, whetteon said:

I can't seem to find a Darkhawk JCPenny variant in NM at a good price. What was the print run on thesE?

No idea but I received the set it came in for Christmas one year. They were loosely packed (unbagged and unboarded) in a box. There wasn’t a ton of room for them to move around but enough to bang up the books. Mix that with the handling by warehouse employees, delivery service, and relatives on their way to you and who knows how many high grade copies survived the last 30 years. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

I’ve picked up 7-8 issues of the first series from dollar bins and am really enjoying this book.  I don’t know how I missed it in the 90s because it is right up my alley — maybe not enough chromium?

I have two questions for you faithful readers:  do we ever actually get shown Darkhawk’s face?  Is the curse of Darkhawk ever explained in book?  

The issues I’ve found are all before the 30s so these may be addressed later.

I recently commissioned a piece by Bill Morrison. It is a cover recreation of his 2005 Bongo Comics Gimme, Gimme Giveaway for FCBD.

This one had a few little changes to the books that each character grabbed from Comic Book Guy..... Millhouse obviously knew which books he wanted the most!  lol

Morrison Bongo cover recreation.jpg

Bongo 2005 nn 98.jpg

On 3/1/2023 at 6:36 AM, Browns81 said:

I’ve picked up 7-8 issues of the first series from dollar bins and am really enjoying this book.  I don’t know how I missed it in the 90s because it is right up my alley — maybe not enough chromium?

I have two questions for you faithful readers:  do we ever actually get shown Darkhawk’s face?  Is the curse of Darkhawk ever explained in book?  

The issues I’ve found are all before the 30s so these may be addressed later.

As I mentioned earlier, I dropped off around issue #19 when the quality of the comic and storytelling was abysmal. Many mysteries brought up early in the serious was just plain dropped. Not sure it they forgot or what. Here’s something I found on the web. 

“Dark hawk Issues #4 and #5 also saw Chris removing his helmet while wearing the armor and becoming horrified by what he saw in the mirror -- to the point of destroying his entire room. Upon questioning the vagrant St. Johnny, who supposedly knew other wearers of the Raptor Armor, Chris learns that "under the mask is the face we all deserve.”

So, um, yeah. Again, not sure if the detail was forgotten or intentional never addressed.

As for the curse….:wavingwhiteflag:It’s right up there with how being strike down makes a Jedi more powerful than I could possibly imagine.

Edited by whetteon

Appropriate price paid on this newsie, they get you on sales tax though.  My preferred of the Venom DH covers. 

Darkhawk 13 newsstand.jpg