• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

closed

108 posts in this topic

I'm telling ya, burn the accursed 9.6 and the 9.8 gods will reward you with gifts beyond your wildest dreams :whistle:
I burnt a 9.6 Spiderwoman 43 before sending in my last submission. I'll let you know if the gods were pleased.

They will be pleased! (thumbs u

I'm sensing a 9.8 or maybe a 9.9 in your future if you performed the sacrifice properly (worship)

I would have videotaped it but it was dark and there was all the pig blood.... You know

Sequence of Events:

1. Bid $250 for a 9.6 and won (Figured I would be outbid)

2. Receive 9.6 and it looks A-mazing

3. Decide I'd like to upgrade to a 9.8 and sell the 9.6 (As my collection is 9.8+)

4. Purchase 9.8 for $400

5. Identify a local buyer for the 9.6 (Haven't met yet)

6. Receive 9.8

7. Compare side by side...

The 9.6 is clearly in better condition.

Tentative result:

I feel like I am selling the better book and keeping the lesser book I paid an extra $150 for.

Wish:

There was something we could do to bring the price of a 9.6 and 9.8 closer together as oftentimes one deserves the higher or lower grade.

Wouldn't it be cheaper (and easier) to just make your own labels for your comics, since that is all you're really collecting anyway?

That's what I did. I took some cracked-out cases, put my books in Mylites and stuck a label like this (printed at home) on top and taped it shut:

CGC.png

I did it so I could showcase them in my bookcase that holds CGC slabs.

'Slabs are for selling, comics are for collecting'

I like this quote.

So you can't collect slabbed comics?

Why would you want to? Comics look much nicer in mylars than they do trapped behind two walls of thick plastic, and you can actually take them out of their containment and look at them. Even the interiors.

If you think you're collecting comics in slabs, you're probably only collecting labels. Especially when you're buying 9.8s and foregoing 9.6s because the label says they are, rather than how they appeal to you.

I like this quote.

Why would you want to? Comics look much nicer in mylars than they do trapped behind two walls of thick plastic, and you can actually take them out of their containment and look at them. Even the interiors.

If you think you're collecting comics in slabs, you're probably only collecting labels. Especially when you're buying 9.8s and foregoing 9.6s because the label says they are, rather than how they appeal to you.

I'm sorry but if I'm spending more than a few hundred dollars on a book online I want it in a slab. It just gives me the piece of mind that there isn't any restoration, that the book isn't missing anything inside, and that the book is preserved.

I also don't think Mylars look as nice as a slab on my shelf. I know I'll probably get lambasted for that, but I just think Mylars look cheap. My wallet knows they aren't but they just don't look as a nice as a slab.

And I hardly chase the label. My 4.5 copy of ASM 14 begs to differ. The book presents well though and it is in a grade I could afford.

I like this quote.

Your logic would be sound if money/investment wasn't a consideration.

Many people like the look of their books inside slabs. Personal preference. Besides, they're stored in a box away from light anyway.

How many people ACTUALLY take their books out and flip through them on a regular basis? Want to read it/see the interior art? Buy a trade paperback. Don't risk damaging the book(s).

Many people like the restoration check that slabbed copies provide. This is one of the reasons as to why slabbed books carry a premium.

9.8's are generally considered perfect copies. A 9.6 indicates that there is something wrong with the book, regardless of how small, which is why there is usually such a large gap in price for only .2 in grade. It's just psychology. People also like knowing that a 9.8 will appreciate in value more than a 9.6.

There is no good reason to crack a slab other than to resub, or if you expect to sell it and a raw copy would fetch more (rare, but possible). If you're cracking a 9.8 just to put it into a mylar bag, then you're weird. lol Sell the 9.8 and then buy a raw copy (or vice-versa). Pocket the difference. (thumbs u

But what if it's a nice copy and I can't find an equivalent raw copy for sale, you say? THEN DEFINITELY DON'T CRACK THE SLAB! Geez...

I do agree about buying the book and not the label, to an extent (e.g., don't buy a 9.8 if certain flaws are visible).

We're talking about a very broad range of collecting practices here, so there may be some exceptions. But I think we covered the general idea.

The end.

I like this quote.

Hold on a minute there cowboy, when did comics start to have interiors (shrug)

I thought they were just front and back covers with old newspapers to fill in the middle.

:jokealert:

I think there are two responses in this thread that sum up how I feel:

Buy the book, not the label.

and

1. You never know what defects might be on the inside

Moral: You can't judge a book by its cover

2. At a show last year I saw two 9.8 1st Deadpools @ $210 and $240. I passed because they didn't look like 9.8s to me. Given the current price, I wish I'd bought one.

Moral: the market cares about the label

So the million dollar question is - do you want the book to keep or to flip?

If you're planning on flipping for profit later, then you'd want to care what the market cares about.

If you're collecting for yourself, then the label doesn't matter and take the better looking cover (knowing that there might be a slight defect inside the book).

I collect for myself and my collection has some 9.4's and 9.6's in it. I could have got 9.8's - but these 9.4's and 9.6's have amazing covers and I'm perfectly happy having them in my collection. They look awesome.

That's what I did. I took some cracked-out cases, put my books in Mylites and stuck a label like this (printed at home) on top and taped it shut:

CGC.png

Love it mate. Awesome end-result. Did you source your cracked out slabs somewhere or do you just have a stockpile from SSing stuff over the years?

I wish I could be happy with 9.6s.

But I can't.

I have some gorgeous 9.6s that just...won't...do.

Wish:

There was something we could do to bring the price of a 9.6 and 9.8 closer together as oftentimes one deserves the higher or lower grade.

Crazy thought:

Just buy 9.6s.

I wish I could be happy with 9.6s.

But I can't.

I have some gorgeous 9.6s that just...won't...do.

Dr. Phil says the 9.8s won't make you happy either.

John Maynard Keynes says your preoccupation with such a meaningless distinction is an attempt to divert your attention from the inevitability of death.

COI says because pernts. Registry pernts.

hm...I collect books that are rare in 6.0.

Sorry, anything less than 9.8 won't do.

COI says because pernts. Registry pernts.

There's that. If you're collecting competitively and you land a beautiful looking 9.6 with some hard to obtain signatures on it and then add it to your set, be prepared to be totally disheartened by the disgustingly low number of pernts you get.

Where's the orange label love??

I didn't like the look of it once I had it up with the others - so I decided to just do a mock label with a letter grade.

CGC.png

Love it mate. Awesome end-result. Did you source your cracked out slabs somewhere or do you just have a stockpile from SSing stuff over the years?

I bought some off a boardie here last year sometime, and it was enough for the books on my shelf. I'll need to track down a few more, but it seems fairly easy.