• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

closed

108 posts in this topic

Sequence of Events:

1. Bid $250 for a 9.6 and won (Figured I would be outbid)

2. Receive 9.6 and it looks A-mazing

3. Decide I'd like to upgrade to a 9.8 and sell the 9.6 (As my collection is 9.8+)

4. Purchase 9.8 for $400

5. Identify a local buyer for the 9.6 (Haven't met yet)

6. Receive 9.8

7. Compare side by side...

The 9.6 is clearly in better condition.

Tentative result:

I feel like I am selling the better book and keeping the lesser book I paid an extra $150 for.

Wish:

There was something we could do to bring the price of a 9.6 and 9.8 closer together as oftentimes one deserves the higher or lower grade.

1) Keep the 9.6

2) Sell the 9.8

3) Buy a romertopf

4) Cook some chicken

Depending on how 'modern' the 'modern' book is, I am fine with a 9.6 and in some cases even slightly lower grades, again depending on the book/price and how modern it is.

Example: I subbed my ASM #238 (first Hobgoblin) and I thought it would come back 9.4/9.6...It came back a 9.4...I was mildly disappointed.

I have not bothered with the 'graders' notes and I was seriously thinking of selling it and upgrading to a 9.6 as I want my 'modern' Spidey villain appearances to be in the 9.6 grade. I think the prices of some 9.8's for the recent, recent modern's are a little too pricey for what they really are IMHO.

However, I eventually decided I was 'chasing the label' and the more I looked at the book, the front at least presents just as well as some of my 9.6's despite the slight miswrap.

ASM238_zps6951dba9.jpg

I know the GPA's for this book are not that great of a difference but after looking and considering shipping costs, I decided I am just going to hold onto my lowly 9.4 and save myself some $ to go towards another book I need/want instead of trying to 'make up' a .2 'shortfall'.

Having said that, if the right 9.6 comes along at a good price...

- Liberate all your comics from their slabs

- Look them over carefully, and keep the ones you think look exceptionally nice

- Sell the rest (perhaps after re-grading/slabbing)

- Revel in your inner peace, while remembering 'Slabs are for selling, comics are for collecting'

Buy the book, not the label.

^^

I do and save money, but the hobby is not on this page yet. I looked at GPA on a book recently. 9.8 last sell was nearing $200. 9.6 last sale was $50ish. There can't be that big of a gap because of one-two defects.... but it's a real gap on some books. My word.... insanity.

With moderns why would you buy a 9.6? I think that is more the issue. Although some silver age books are out of hand when you get beyond 9.0. It is why I'm usually happy with a 9.0. They present well and I rarely see anything clearly wrong with them unless I really get close.

Because for some moderns, I simply can't afford a 9.8 or justify the cost.

- Revel in your inner peace, while remembering 'Slabs are for selling, comics are for collecting'

best advice yet

Basically, what I think.

So I should think your awesome Dr. Stranges aren’t "exceptionally nice" undercopies? :D

Buy the book, not the label.

^^

I do and save money, but the hobby is not on this page yet. I looked at GPA on a book recently. 9.8 last sell was nearing $200. 9.6 last sale was $50ish. There can't be that big of a gap because of one-two defects.... but it's a real gap on some books. My word.... insanity.

With moderns why would you buy a 9.6? I think that is more the issue. Although some silver age books are out of hand when you get beyond 9.0. It is why I'm usually happy with a 9.0. They present well and I rarely see anything clearly wrong with them unless I really get close.

Because for some moderns, I simply can't afford a 9.8 or justify the cost.

@Chris S.

Well.... I bought a Y: The Last Man #1 in 9.4 for less than half a 9.8 going price... So (shrug)

'Slabs are for selling, comics are for collecting'

I like this quote.

So you can't collect slabbed comics?

I think that definition is for the collector to determine for themselves. I've run full circle on CGC-stuff, and I have found that most of the slabbed books I obtain now are for the purposes of selling - while the books I really want for my personal collection are raw.

The only exception I have right now is low grade big key books that have restoration. I still like those because it's good to know what you're buying.

"Slabs are selling; comics are for collecting." Not sure this is universally applicable. Maybe for books with a sticker under $1K. But over $1K ... sorry, I'm not dropping that much coin on a book that hasn't been CGC'd. Because I run the risk that the raw grade is an over-grade by the dealer (or something I didn't spot) and then I don't recoup my investment until a much longer period of time.

Sequence of Events:

1. Bid $250 for a 9.6 and won (Figured I would be outbid)

2. Receive 9.6 and it looks A-mazing

3. Decide I'd like to upgrade to a 9.8 and sell the 9.6 (As my collection is 9.8+)

4. Purchase 9.8 for $400

5. Identify a local buyer for the 9.6 (Haven't met yet)

6. Receive 9.8

7. Compare side by side...

The 9.6 is clearly in better condition.

Tentative result:

I feel like I am selling the better book and keeping the lesser book I paid an extra $150 for.

Wish:

There was something we could do to bring the price of a 9.6 and 9.8 closer together as oftentimes one deserves the higher or lower grade.

Wouldn't it be cheaper (and easier) to just make your own labels for your comics, since that is all you're really collecting anyway?

I'm telling ya, burn the accursed 9.6 and the 9.8 gods will reward you with gifts beyond your wildest dreams :whistle:
I burnt a 9.6 Spiderwoman 43 before sending in my last submission. I'll let you know if the gods were pleased.

I'm telling ya, burn the accursed 9.6 and the 9.8 gods will reward you with gifts beyond your wildest dreams :whistle:
I burnt a 9.6 Spiderwoman 43 before sending in my last submission. I'll let you know if the gods were pleased.

They will be pleased! (thumbs u

I'm sensing a 9.8 or maybe a 9.9 in your future if you performed the sacrifice properly (worship)