• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rusty staples and sunken treasure! by Hibou

360 posts in this topic

I won't block up your journal with images, but you should also check out Spawn issues 88, 91, 105, 106, 112, 118, 124, 128. There are some really wicked images to be found! You should totally add them to your moon collection!

SIGNS...

signs_zps4b295ce4.jpg

Every day I see these signs on the road letting motorists know of the coming hazards or important information they would need to know to safely continue on their journey.

If only life were like that.

Sometimes it is, I suppose and sometimes there are signs to help someone along their way when it comes to collecting and this hobby.

A little while ago, I wrote about how I was feeling a bit stalled in my pursuits. I decided to empty out all (or most of) my raw books consisting of modern, copper and bronze books... some silver too. One night recently as I was going through all of these boxes, I came across a book that I didn't even know I had.

I looked at the cover and it struck me... like a bat flying through a window.

Or was that a baseball?

Anyways, it was perfect... I had been feeling like the underwater collection was coming to an end and after my summer sell off, I was wondering if I had made the right decision in the books that I got rid of. There were a few that I had some second thoughts on and one that I actually repurchased because I knew I liked it that much. (Wonder Woman #83... this was a slight upgrade so I thought that was the right thing to do.)

Anyways, as I thought about this, I started to think... well, what if I sold everything and just stuck with the Moon theme?

And then this book sort of fell into my lap.

Tales to Astonish 98.

[font:Comic Sans MS]"...TO DESTROY THE REALM ETERNAL!"[/font]

Wow! Now if that wasn't a sign!

I kept looking at the cover to this book and it just kept pulling me in.

The Sub-Mariner's beloved Atlantis in ruins with him agonizing under the crushing rubble.

"Perfect", I thought to myself.

I just loved the monochromatic blues on the book and knew I had to get a CGC'd copy as this one that I had was a little off in terms of centering and grade. It's quite something how off center a lot those late 60's Marvels are...

Quite often the 'M' is cut off in Marvel or the 1 from the 12 (cents) is wrapped around the spine. That type of thing.

So it took a little while and I did find a nice copy but the Hulk's head was cut off a bit. Oh well, as Mick says... "You can't always get what you want".

Besides, I didn't want to spend a lot on this book since it was more of a bookmark for me in my collection memoirs.

The book I found seemed perfect for me.

Not too costly, nice PQ and just enough eye appeal for me.

TTA98_zps177a5c0c.jpg

The End.

Well...

Not quite.

You see, as I was looking at my underwater books I thought about which were the ones that I could not get rid of.

It was easy as the first thing that popped in my head was my DC Trinity underwater.

Those, I couldn't part with... and that Cap 26?

Nope.

Sub-Mariner 33?

Nope.

Mike's Action 96... I still really like that one a lot too!

Hey! I discovered a theme within a theme. The underwater books that I REALLY like are all superhero related with the exception of a couple that I just had a strong connection to for some reason.

Superhero underwater books... hm

But what about that one that I love having in my collection that's not a superhero underwater book?

Adventure Comics 41.

That was a 'mini-grail' of mine!

But was it that before I started out on the underwater theme? No it wasn't. It was a favorite cover of mine, certainly but it wasn't a TRUE 'mini-grail'. The terms Grail and Mini-Grails get passed around a lot here and for me, I started to extend that to a specific theme. And so there were many mini-grails that I would try to acquire... books like that Adventure Comics 41 and Seven Seas 4... Fight Comics 11...

But those weren't really MY grails / mini-grails...

My true Grail books are ones like Captain America Comics 1, Batman 1, Wonder Woman 1, All-Star 8... and Mini-Grails like All-American 61 and Action Comics 23.

But I needed a push.

Something to tell me that I was going in the right direction.

And that's when I found my road sign...

10_zps285cef3e.jpg

To be continued... :)

Hello Hibou,

This last post of yours really struck a cord with me. I went through a similar experience and I have a forthcoming journal about it that I have been working on over the last month.

I like that TTA #98, awesome cover. I enjoyed your description and discovery of your "sign." You also mentioned cover centering, another observation of yours the struck a cord with me, I'm really particular on this when it comes to my books.

I just saw your post about the moon and the Police video, one of my favorite songs btw! You also mentioned Action Comics #23 and #96 somewhere along line - I gotta' pay closer attention to this thread!

I can't wait for your follow up.

Brandon

Your recent post also struck a cord with me as in going through some evaluation of my collection as I may have some space issues in the future. So do I start trimming the collection? I've decided for now to keep the team together. I hope to write about this in my journal in the future when my space issues get resolved

... and the evolution process continues to be ever fluid.

I think I'm getting a feel for what I believe is right and what I believe I'm most comfortable with.

I'm also seeing this journal evolve into something else... something entirely different from what I first set out to do. It's become personal and I'm starting to see that where I want to take my collection is following suit.

Originally, this journal served to document my evolving comic collecting focus but I've realized that it's also running parallel to my personal life as well.

I have a few books lined up to talk about and as I'm thinking of what aspect to 'focus' on... I'm realizing that this has all been reflective of my life as told by the numerous comics listed within.

And so it was this road sign that led me to pause and look at my Underwater collection in a different light.

10_zps285cef3e.jpg

The Underwater books will always hold a special place within because it documents a particular time in my life where struggles seemed almost insurmountable. Have those struggles passed? Absolutely not and they will always be there... but there was something in my recent writings that made me step back for a second and find a spot to 'fine tune' what it was that I was looking for.

Some time ago, I wrote about this experience of being underwater and having to remove layers of clothing in order to swim to safety and pass this test.

I failed.

And it wouldn't be the last time...

But within that writing, I mentioned that I felt like you would have to have extraordinary powers to overcome such a challenge. And it was within that which I feel I was able to find the pearl in the clam shell.

Maybe it was a Black Pearl.

Full of mystery and legend... to go alongside my moon books.

But what I'm getting at is that the struggle of the hero (while underwater) is what really appeals to me and thus forms the crux of my Underwater focus in terms of superheroes underwater. Having realized this now forms regret at selling some of those books that I did over the summer but slowly, and with diligence, I'll rebuild it...

Better.

Stronger.

Faster.

(And cue...)

"We have separation ..."

And thanks to my friend, Rob (who recently attended the NYCC)... part of that has already begun.

More on that later... :)

So, of this road sign...

When I saw this next book for sale on the boards, it was going to be mine- one way or another.

You see, I already talked about it.

Here, actually...

The Nuclear Bomb

And so when this copy appeared for sale, I knew I had to have it and at the same time, I also knew what it was going to cost to get it.

With a lack of funds available, I made a (very) quick decision...

Would I trade my Adventure Comics 41 for this book?

Yes, yes, and yes!

Some of you may think I would be crazy to do so... and trust me, I lost a lot on this deal... but in the end, that's exactly what I did.

Traded.

My Adventure Comics 41 for this little gem...

wc19lg_zps762f3abf.jpg

And I'm okay with it when it was all said and done! :)

It certainly puts that Restored 2.0 I had as an afterthought and it also opens the door to another discussion which I'm recently looking into, regarding Matt Baker! :cloud9:

And more on that later as well...

Hey!

It's almost Halloween!

I actually might have an appropriate book to talk about then...

CGC just listed my latest submission as 'Graded'...

:whee:

And as always...

hos_zps692002e5.jpg

To Be Continued.

Thank you!

You know what's funny... the more I think about my collecting 'focus' and what I'm doing here, well... the more I'm starting to think of your journal and your collecting room.

Perhaps my focus and interest is starting to revolve around the things that I've always liked and known to be be true.

For instance...

When I purchased that ASM 6, (which I've since sold but sort of upgraded... more on that later) I started to think of other books, genres and artist / writers that have defined my interests and inspirations in comics.

Neal Adams

Bernie Wrightson

Steve Ditko

Jack Kirby

Jerry Robinson

Frank Miller

Curt Swan

Stan Lee

... Kaluta, Jones, Windsor-Smith... :ohnoez:.

But there was one that sucked me into comics more than any other.

[font:Comic Sans MS]

John Byrne.[/font]

I wanted to be John Byrne.

Just as John Byrne wanted to be Neal Adams.

And such is life.

But while I was thinking of my collecting focus and staying true to my passions... I figured I would easily find a book that would reflect my love for John's artwork and vision.

Not so.

He did very few underwater covers or moon covers.

But there was one, from when he was just getting started back in 1975 which I have.

No, it's not CGC graded and most likely won't be, but it's early Byrne colored by color-blind Dr. Martin's or labeled marker...

Either way, I like this one a lot!

Doomsday-Plus-One-04-00_zps7826a24c.jpg

Poor Charltons... :(

Very under appreciated, in my opinion.

Anyways... John is sort of a 'hate him or love him' figure.

Way back in 1981, I loved his work and never stopped.

My friend, Rob just showed me the IDW FF Byrne book...

http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/john-byrnes-fantastic-four-artists-edition/

... I nearly flipped while turning those hi-res scan pages of his.

I ended up getting one for myself through Amazon.

Had to.

It's John Byrne!

And if you didn't catch this... I love music.

All types.

And this track has caught my ears for the entire week...

Hopefully next week, I'll start to get on my Neal appreciation kick.

I thought I'd have a nice Halloween book to talk about this week.

No worries CGC...

You still rock. :)

And thank you once again n2wdw...

Your journal helps me to define mine!

(worship)

-David.

I also love Byrne and his Doomsday +1 series is one of my favorites. (I'm also a fan of Billy Idol, his Eyes Without a Face is one of my favorites).

I really enjoy your journal and it's fun to read about other people's collecting journeys.

For me, as for collecting focus, I guess what's great about comics and comic culture is there's so much to collect. My interests go here and there. I've decided to just go with it. A few years ago I got obsessed with Neal Adam's Continuity line. They're cheap (like $1 a book) but difficult to collect because their numbering is screwy, it's hard to tell if some issues actually exist, etc. But I said, what the heck, and decided to collect everything by Continuity. It took about a year and didn't cost much money (I probably spent less than one mid-grade Matt Baker book). I think I have about 99% of all the C books, there are just a few that I'm missing (and I don't know if they actually exist -- once I asked Neal at a con and he couldn't remember). (As an aside, Mile High Comics gets criticised by many on these boards as being too expensive, but I got dozens of Continuity comics from MH for under a buck each). Anyway, I was obsessed for a while but now that's cooled off. So now I've gone to other things. I still have the C comics though, they take about 1 1/2 long boxes, maybe some day I'll get the inch again to track down those last 10 or so issues.

I've written about trying to complete my Original Marvels collection. I'm actually not as interested in it anymore, the interest comes and goes. Right now I'm more interested in my Dave Stevens registry set, Matt Baker covers, golden age Archies, Lily Renee covers, Morning Glories, Game of Thrones, SS books by actors, etc. But since I'm anal I want to just complete the freaking thing, I've been working on it for decades.

What I've never done is sell parts of my collection. Actually, I did sell off my collection twice when I was younger (under 20), but since then I've kept it all. Because even when I lose interest in parts of it I still like it. Like that Continuity collection, I like seeing those 2 long boxes in my comic book room even though I probably haven't opened them in a few years.

There's the cost issue certainly, to get money so as to focus on something else. But I try not to get to that point. I think of it as going for singles instead of home runs. I go for low to mid-grade, good looking copies, and buy 20 of those instead of 1 high grade. that's probably not the best investment strategy, but it's enabled me to hold onto my collection even when I go in different directions.

For me space is the big issue. I'm on the downslope of my working career so now my wife and I are looking to downsize. I don't want to downsize my collection though -- that would be a sad day -- so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I don't want to have worked all my life, and then when I finally get to retirement have to sell off my collection. Fortunately, I still have a few years to figure this out and my wife is supportive.

Thank you again, n2wdw. :)

This in particular stood out for me...

"There's the cost issue certainly, to get money so as to focus on something else. But I try not to get to that point. I think of it as going for singles instead of home runs. I go for low to mid-grade, good looking copies, and buy 20 of those instead of 1 high grade. that's probably not the best investment strategy, but it's enabled me to hold onto my collection even when I go in different directions."

I think I'm close to adopting that kind of mindset when thinking about my collection. Something that allows for more flexibility while the collection evolves.

When I jotted down that quick list of artists and such above, I started to think of getting copies of one favorite of each of those. Artists that have influenced me over the years. I figured I already had one favorite book and artist with that Swamp Thing 1 / HoS 92 and then another with the Amazing Spider-Man 6.

Two (3) of my favorite books by two of my favorite artists.

I actually have another favorite as well but I haven't gotten around to talking about that one yet.

But with these books, I guess I've sort of loosened up a little bit more. It's a bit liberating...

And I just realized I have another book on the way as well!

2015 EDIT: Book was sold during the Fall of 2015 [font:Times New Roman]I[/font] saw these numbers in the Moon and thought to myself..."I wonder what that day will be like?"Or maybe I thought to myself... "what was that day like?"1027_zps0ca9b932.jpg10/27I figured it was a sign and so this next book certainly had to be acquired.I see numbers everyday and so often wonder if they're markers of future events or past events or both. It's a weird game I play sometimes... it just breaks up the monotony of long days on the road. So these numbers pointed to a day after a date that had more significance to me.However...font_image_zps60cfd87e.gifWARNING!This next section might be even more bizarre than any of my other posts... :eek:Before I talk about this next book, I need to go back in time a little to correct an omission. As this journal is becoming more therapeutic for me and a companion as I travel across some personally unfamiliar and bumpy roads, I've come to realize that I can't be true to myself if my writings contain only selective history.Back on page 2 of this journal, which would have been right about here...IMG_20141112_061430_zps471ad5c5.jpg... I left out a pretty big part of my past that's very relevant to where I am today and what defines my evolution both in life and (believe it or not) my collecting habits.Just so I don't take this completely off the rail, I will include a small comic related story.In 1990, once I settled in back from my experience and failures in New Jersey, I found a job at a music store at a local mall in Fayetteville, NY. Like I've said before, I love music and always have so this was a natural fit for me and especially at that time in my life.It was a decent job and it wasn't long after starting there that I met a girl who would prove to be a vital figure in terms of who I would be and what roads I would take while getting there... almost like a keystone.We started 'dating' almost instantly, then ended up working together for a while and a year later we were engaged. At this mall there was a comic shop right next to a pizza joint where I would go quite often to get a Calzone for her or myself. Pretty much every time I'd go down there, I'd sneak a few minutes in the comic shop even though during this period of my life, I wasn't at all interested in them. I guess I had other things to keep me distracted but I certainly kept them close by in some aspect.I remember one afternoon going in there and seeing that the owner had just got in a really nice run of early Amazing Spider-Man books. One in particular kept tempting me, it was a copy of Amazing Spider-Man 4, the first appearance of the Sandman. For some reason, I've always liked that cover as well. Perhaps it's the clean symmetry of the composition or maybe just the sequential order of panels on the cover... I'm not sure.ad2c0517-71ee-435f-b932-b53ef650001a_zps570326e1.jpg At any rate, this really nice copy (maybe a Fine or better), was $100 and back then, there was absolutely no way I could justify spending 'that kind of money' on a book.So I didn't, but I do remember that was one book that almost got me back into comics at that point in my life.And so...Ultimately, this relationship of ours ended about 2 years later and we never did get married. For me, that would come later (unknowingly at the time) as a result of this meeting.But back to this odd comparison I'm trying to construct.I've always been fascinated by the notion of the Butterfly Effect, where one small action can produce a much greater effect later on in history. Or in this case, where one wonderful meeting or relationship can affect a lifetime. I think throughout history we see this in many lives...Whether you realize it or not, you carry with you that connection unaware of the roads or paths that it may lead you down later on in life.Now this is the bizarre jump that I'm about to make...When I first heard this song, it absolutely brought chills to me as his first lines talk about Parallel Universe Theory..."Did you ever hear the theory of the universe?Where every time you make a choice,A brand new planet gets created?" No, this isn't a build up to a 'DC Crisis on Infinite Earths' book...But one night while driving and listening to that song, I started to focus and got stuck on the next line of this song."It's not the same Moon in the sky..."So often, while driving (as I've been doing this for 20 years now), I would gaze at the Moon now and then and let my mind wander... all while keeping focused on the road of course.I would think about the Moon and wonder, as I'm sure many men have before, of life's mysteries but then my mind would take me to a place counter-reflective of the line in the song.In fact...This IS the same Moon...The Moon that I would sometimes feel accompany me on my journeys was the same one that accompanied a Norseman through Fjords of a lost and distant time.The same Moon.I would wonder just how much that face has seen throughout history.From the Norseman to the peasant working diligently under the shadow of a majestic castle in Medieval times. From the peasant to Colonial keeper sweeping the cobblestone in front of his shop... The soldier lying face up in the mud of the Western Front in France, looking at her beauty as he wishes for death to come swiftly.And to me... driving alone down a road with odd lights illuminating the interior of this metal shell of a vehicle.Thoughts like that tend to grab me and I would wonder just how the hell does everything fit together?! And just how does this all tie into this strange story? Well, the Moon has always been there, following us... just as decisions and relationships follow us and consequently form other relationships and realities. Like an invisible but ever-present companion. Sometimes I often wonder why throughout history, men get lost thinking about this mysterious Moon. Maybe it's just that... the mystery of it all and the fact that you can stare at it for hours on end. You can't do that with the Sun. Besides, the Sun is pretty straight forward... warmth, light, life.The Moon on the other hand has so many faces.Inviting and full... mischievous and sly... cold and dark.moonphases_zps24715241.pngIt's no wonder it's the central focus of compositions used as a singular device to denote something mysterious or chilling. Gothic even...And if anyone reading this is entirely confused... I don't blame them!This was the first time that I struggled with trying to convey an idea that I had which was sort of born by the acquisition of this next book.I guess it was because of the numbers in the Moon.It spoke to me of a distant time... another place. [font:Book Antiqua]Batman 227 [/font]By Neal Adams1970 with the classic homage to the iconic Detective Comics 31 from 1939...bats227_zps05d01d11.jpg b903a5e0-e4b7-4c6f-9080-c19ea48438da_zps2f24128d.jpgThe Moon stands right behind the ghostly image of Batman in arguably Adams' most fan-favorite cover! This is probably the 4th or 5th copy of this book that I've owned and it certainly is one of my all time favorites as well. The highest graded copy that I've owned was an 8.0 so it was nice to come back around full circle and get another well centered 8.0 (Very Fine) from last months ComicLink auction. ...And as I've over extended my waking hours today, I thought to end this odd concoction of a post with two songs that have been with me this week The first is echoed in the banner at the top of this page...The phrase contains within it an inherent sadness that transcends cultures, history, relationships and religion. The realization that a past and present can't coexist for they are of different times albeit perhaps parallel worlds.The second is simple.Birds.It just provides a segue into my next adventure... my next book that I'll be talking about soon. I like Birds... their feathers of truth and the symbolic freedom that's represented.And with that...Goodnight.

~The Old Ways~Loreena McKennitt~ by gigi129"The science of your daysIs laid bareBoiling In the SunFor all the World to seeThe birds remind me of what we madeThe birds remind me of what remains"

Before I get to the birds, there's one more Neal Adams book that I wanted to talk about...

It's a little difficult for me to say which is my favorite Adams cover between the Batman 227 and this next book. If I had to pick one, this one may pull ahead slightly.

About 2 years ago I had a really nice copy and regrettably sold it. Since then, I had been looking for one that's as nicely centered as I do believe this has to be THE toughest book to find well centered copies of.

Another lesson learned about being careful of what you get rid of.

Finally, after a couple years of 'casually' looking, I found a copy at Metropolis Comics that I could live with. It had a sliver (and when I say a sliver, I'm not exaggerating) of space around the CCA stamp (Comics Code Authority) which is the main element I look for in terms of centering on this particular book...

hos88cca_zps647a3998.jpg

I was able to compare this copy with the one I sold a couple of years ago and they look very close, which I was happy to see! :)

The raw copy I purchased from Metro was listed as a VF/NM (9.0) and was priced right so I decided to pick it up after thinking about it for a couple of weeks.

When I got the book in hand, it looked really nice!

As it turns out, it's from Metro's Charleston Collection...

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/bookSearch.php?pageSize=40&display=gallery&adv_search_pos=down&searchType=collection&title=&set=58299

That's what I was led to believe based on the sticker adhered to the mylar bag it arrived in. Anyways, the grade back from CGC came in slightly better than anticipated but the PQ was less than I had hoped for.

Regardless, it's a book I'm happy with!

Instead of talking about this book, I thought I would give Miraclemet the honors and thanks to his consent, I'm reposting his original write-up that was featured in his journal:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5410226&fpart=10

This Neal Adams cover, in his loose sketchy-painted style, is just so amazing.

It has it all...

• The Lady in White
  • Our LiW is in a long flowing nightgown
  • Our LiW is a blonde
  • Our LiW is clutching at her chest as she runs away from some unknown threat, looking over her shoulder
  • We have the dark moonlit night
  • Mist swirls around the bottom of the cover adding to the atmosphere
  • Gothic-y elements in the statuary surrounding our LiW
  • The curved staircase descending the hilltop
  • The Mansion on the hill perfectly with one single light on at the top window

The composition on this book is perfect. The dark tones int he cover allowing the white dress to pop. The same yellow tone being repeated from the LiW's hair color, to the light in the window on the House on the Hill, again being repeated in the coloring of the Cover Title. Adams leaving enough negative space in the top left quadrant to allow for the heavier stylings across the rest of the book. The flowing gown having its elements repeated in the swirling fog.

Thanks again, Charles! :)

While going through the old Lady in White journal, I saw that my old HoS 88 copy was posted which was nice to see.

I certainly miss that copy but like I said, I'm content with this current one.

So here is my new addition. I added the Charleston sticker to the back of the book so I don't forget...

hos8892_zps3881d6fb.jpg

Back with CC sticker...

e1991db6-35ae-4bc4-b797-0212d8d623dd_zpsc354abac.jpg

And just to be able to reminisce, here is my old 9.4 copy...

hos88_zpsc9b3861d.jpg

And so, there is no escape from the House of Secrets.

Or is there?

Just over 3 years ago, the Owl and the Moon joined to facilitate this escape...

Okay, yes that was a bit over dramatic.

Seriously though, over 3 ago I stumbled onto a thread here on the boards in which board member Shiverbones (Matthew Kirscht) was doing what he called 'Halloweenized' cover recreations.

It was a very unique approach and one that only he could pull off.

If you're not familiar with Matthew's work, here is his website:

http://www.shiverbones.com/matthewkirscht/

So when I saw that Matthew was taking commission requests, I knew I had to get one on the list. I thought and thought of which cover I would want him to do and what would compliment his style that would produce a piece very personal to me that I would be able to hang onto and enjoy.

House of Secrets 88 was my choice.

The whole feel of this cover just seemed too perfect and so I put in my request with a down payment and just under a year later, the piece was finished!

I thought he did a fantastic job on it and what I really liked was the Owl Moon. That was a classic Shiverbones touch!

And so here is Matthew Kirscht's 'Halloweenized' take on the House of Secrets 88...

hos888redo100_zpse3e6f839.jpg

And if this piece appeals to you, please take a moment to go through that thread. All of his recreations are a lot of fun to look at!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8119115&fpart=1

Enjoy... :)

Indeed DF. I'm jealous of his abilities.

But for tonight...

I lost someone last night who gave me a chance when I felt I needed it most. I'll never forget that.

Rest in Peace, Lew.

Thank you Brandon and Ditch.

Last night was pretty rough for me as I started thinking about the circumstances involved with this individuals death. I started feeling responsible.

Today was a quiet day for me.

[font:Comic Sans MS]Happy Thanksgiving![/font]

As I try to get back onto a stable footing here, I thought I'd go back and revisit an old friend...

Amazing Spider-Man #6.

I originally discussed this book a little while back but since then, I've had a bit more to add to this story.

As discussed here...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7896863&fpart=23

... I had purchased an old label CGC 3.5 of ASM6.

This book.

(Former Copy)

asm6_zpsc0cd8e01.jpg

I decided to use this book as a test to see how the new competition (CBCS) would grade an old label CGC book as it's of many opinion that the old labels were graded under stricter guidelines.

When I purchased the CGC 3.5, I actually agreed with the grade and when I submitted it to CBCS, I thought that they would grade the book around the same... perhaps a .5 jump.

When I got the book back, I was surprised and then decided to run a small contest in the PGM section. I learned that many of the other board members agreed with the new grade and I was the one who was being harsh on the book.

Still... it just didn't seem right to me and so I decided to sell the book on eBay and then found a book that I thought was nicely reflective of the grade AND another old label CGC to boot!

So before I get to the rest of this story... a brief intermission!

Thanks to Brock (Columbia Comics), I was able to get a nice 'upgrade' with a partial cash and trade deal. I've had many transactions with him and I've always had a good experience!

So this is my new copy... I haven't yet decided on whether or not I'll resub this book to CGC but until then, I'm very happy with it!

asm6cgc5med_zps9c2f36ef.jpg

And with that, I can now do a comparison as I did with PGX.

It's only fair...

(Old Label) CGC vs. CBCS.

When CBCS stormed onto the scene with much fanfare, there was some speculation that they might really challenge CGC. Some pointed to lower prices and quicker turnaround and for me... I was looking at consistent and tighter grading. I guess I tend to be 'old school' when it comes to grading as those impressions were formulated in the early 80's. It wasn't until I became a member here that I realized just how pervasive 'restoration' was in this hobby and what effect it had on these books. But as for grading, I'm learning to be a bit more relaxed in how I look at books these days.

Anyways, here are two examples of ASM 6 with close PQ...

CGC

asm6cgc5med_zps9c2f36ef.jpg

asm6cgc5bk_zps5a3a5177.jpg

CBCS

asm650_zps82ebec01.jpg

asm6bk_zpsdcd91c03.jpg

The thread in which I asked for opinions on the old label CGC turned to new CBCS can be found here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=356459&Number=8071905#Post8071905

As you can see, I was in the minority... how do you think the old label CGC 5.0 would grade given this information?

I still think a 5.0 is accurate although I could see a 5.5. It's the crease on the lower right corner of the FC and then the tanning spot on the BC that does it for me.

And with that...

The turkey is cold, the ball games are over, the spirits are... high.

Again, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

Birds.

Like a long, lost friend...

I have dead friends.

Yes, that's a pretty odd statement to start this out with... I should say that they're dead 'feathered friends'.

Birds have always captured my attention for various reasons. Sounds, colors... their ability to fly... youthful imagination wondering how they evolved from dinosaurs and how in the world that was possible... and more.

http://www.livescience.com/47128-shrinking-dinosaurs-evolved-into-birds.html

http://www.livescience.com/15737-avian-ancestors-dinosaurs-learned-fly.html

Avian_Archaeopteryx_02_zps1f804de9.jpg

Another thing is that my Grandmother had these Japanese porcelain birds all over her dresser in her bedroom and I always liked looking at them whenever I was over there. I now have those same birds displayed on a bookshelf here.

As for my dead friends...

I've purchased a few taxidermy birds and such over the past 8 years or so. I have a rather large Crow, a Ruffed Grouse and two Victorian Owls. I almost purchased a beautiful Pheasant a couple of years ago but my daughter talked me out of that one.

She said it was mean.

I totally understood what she meant and how she felt about that as that's how I was when I was younger too. I did explain to her that I agreed but now that these birds where here (flea market purchases for the most part)... they could either stay there for someone else to buy or I could buy them and appreciate them for their artistic value. They're wonderful to draw and very cooperative.

That may sound insensitive but they are fascinating to look at closely.

So where is this leading?

Birds.

This next book was one that kept catching my eye and now that I have a copy, I think I know what exactly it is that I like about it.

Back when I was actually buying non-digital music... from LP's (33's and 45's) to Cassettes and "Cassingles" (I did have an 8-Track player but hated it!)... to CD's... I had a rule of three. Meaning that once I heard 3 songs from that new release that I really liked, then I would go out and purchase it. Today, thanks to single digital downloads, that's no longer an issue.

But as it relates to this book... I came very close to buying a copy twice before and when this copy came up for sale on the boards, I figured it had enough meaning to me personally and it seems like that's where this collection of mine is heading.

Books that tell a personal story of mine in some aspect.

The cover depicts all types of state birds with Batman and Robin fending off the Penguin in the center.

So what is it about this book that I'm so attracted to?

The other day as I was looking at it, I saw what it was... it's the entire cover and composition.

Starting out with the color scheme at top with the primaries, Blue, Red and Yellow. Reds and Yellows always give me a 'Deco' feel when used... very 30's and 40's and that's the feeling I get in the banner. The Batman logo stands out nicely with the red lettering against the primary blue background and the lighter blue bat symbol. This is all centered nicely against the rest of the page as the circular element below (another widely used 30's / 40's device) draws you into the 'action' set atop a symmetrical grid of birds. At the very top you have the 2 DC / Superman / National Comics bullets with the price and issue number below each.

To me, it''s a very simple but eye-pleasing piece to look at!

The book screams symmetry and perhaps that tells me something about myself as well.

Balance.

bats58_zpsabb8e431.jpg

There was no way I could pass up a copy of this next book as I briefly dive back underwater.

Yes, I did say that I was focused on underwater superhero books and with a bit of a stretch of the imagination, that's what I did here too...

Okay, like I said, a little stretch is necessary!

To be honest, the LB Cole cover had everything to do with this acquisition. As much as I liked that Guns Against Gangsters #6... with the huge JAWS like cover by LB Cole, this next book is the LB Cole cover that I've wanted. So when I saw this book come up at last month's Comic Link auction, it didn't matter one bit that it had the Restoration label attached to it as that actually made the book quite affordable!

I talked about LB Cole a bit back when I discussed that Guns Against Gangsters 6 here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6900799&fpart=20

Anyways, this book is a Star Publication comic and Star was actually founded by LB Cole in 1949. They were located just down the Thruway from me in Buffalo, NY from 1950-1954.

I don't really have to go into much build up for this book as the cover truly tells the story. Unfortunately, this is one book that I can't seem to find a lot of scanned interior pages to post... it's very limited.

So like I said, with some imagination, it's the first appearance of the Golden Age Swamp Thing by LB Cole.

Okay, Swamp Thing... Swamp Spirit... what's really the difference?! :)

Blue Bolt Weird Tales #114.

wt114_zpsb3a66f4b.jpg

This is just one of the very few scanned panels from the interior that I was able to find online but it gives you a feel for how this Swamp Spirit was depicted.

No, nothing like the 70's DC Swamp Thing at all...

2_zpsefe6a7b4.jpg

And this piece here is phenomenal to me... last summer (2013), Hake's auctioned off a watercolor and ink reproduction of the cover by LB Cole himself!

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?Auction=209&ItemNo=123462

If there was any question to his talent as a true graphic artist and master of the medium, it should all be answered here!

I'm very envious of the lucky individual who ended up with this piece!

001_big_zps45829da7.jpg

002_big_zps1c56a56e.jpg