• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rusty staples and sunken treasure! by Hibou

360 posts in this topic

Now here I go again, I see the crystal visions...

I absolutely love the moonlit backdrop that appears at the 1:13 mark. I believe the same one was used in Rhiannon from Sugarman's Midnight Special.

... I keep my visions to myself.

Okay, well not really.

As a matter of fact, I put most of them here.

I wasn't really sure how I was going to start out this entry or where it was going to go... but I knew I had to put something down this weekend.

As yet another memory passes into that night.

Another light goes out.

:(

I was very saddened to hear of Irwin Hasen's passing this past Friday, March 15th. I spent much of the past couple of days reflecting on that. He was such a character and I know that many people on this board had more interaction with him over the years than I ever did, but some stories that you read... and some stories that you hear, simply stay with you throughout.

The first time I came across Irwin Hasen was in 1988-1989 at the Joe Kubert School in Dover, NJ. I told that story earlier in this journal so there's no need to tell it again but there is a little that I can elaborate on.

He loved to tell stories and that's really what I've been focused on for these past 2 days. Just how much he had to say... and he seemed to love to tell you those stories.

Here is a small collection that sort of illustrates that...

Today's piece from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/16/arts/irwin-hasen-comic-book-artist-and-dondi-illustrator-dies-at-96.html?_r=0

From the NY Times (2011):

http://www.nytimes.com/video/nyregion/100000001232591/drawing-on-a-long-life-for-a-short-guy.html

Irwin- A New York Story Trailer

And I'm certain that this was taken from the classroom at the Kubert School...

(Adult subject matter but showcases his comedic personality!)

And speaking of the Kubert School.

Back here, I mentioned how there was one particular assignment that Irwin didn't care for of mine but one that I thought I had put a lot of thought and time into (as crudely done as it was)...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6900799&fpart=2

Well, there was one assignment that I remember he did like and I was sort of shocked to learn at this time that sometimes spontaneity can best the most thought out cerebral process. :insane:

The assignment was to do an ad for a fictional piece and this was one that I did just hours before class began that morning.

The night before, I was fairly restless and couldn't get into 'homework' mode. I decided to take an evening drive into the city (NYC) and just aimlessly wander around.

That may have been one of the nights that I found myself atop the WTC.

Anyways, I can't remember what time it was when I returned to the house in Dover, but once there, I headed down to the basement where my drawing table was set up, along with 3 other classmates... Jay (my roommate) and Andy (Smith). I just sat down and quickly did my assignments before having to attend Irwin's class and maybe getting in an hour or so of sleep.

Surprisingly, he really liked this and I guess looking back, it's no surprise as he might've done something similar to what I had just done the evening before...

... wander the streets of where he called home.

stg_zpswv9l8rt0.jpg

So if I had a crystal ball...

How much easier life would be.

crystal_ball_hands_hb_zps10608567.gif

Seriously though, this would be something that I didn't see coming when I wrote about my All-American 61 and Solomon Grundy. I wrote mostly on how one comic sort of shifted my collection and that was with the purchase of what turned out to be a pretty extensively restored All Star Comics 33.

Like I mentioned, it was that book that had me rethink what I wanted to do and I felt pretty lucky to have a shot to acquire a copy of AA 61, even at the low grade it was in.

Well, I mentioned that at some point I might try to get another copy of All Star 33 as it was still a big favorite of mine and certainly a reminder.

And what you lost...

And what you had...

And what you lost.

So it was just (yet) another example of serendipity when I saw this book listed for sale here on boards. The boardie I bought it from, Terranova-6 (Troy), seems to know a bit about these kind of books and I wasn't surprised at the price when I saw it. I just knew that I had to get it as it was a perfect way to close the circle on this particular story... little did I know at the time, just how close I was to that circle forever being complete.

What's the value of a book that's truly "one of a kind"?

Referred to as an OAK as I was kindly informed recently...

What kind of price do you put on that?

Well in this case it was such that I knew I would have to part with yet another book, but for this, I figured it would be well worth it.

And so, I parted ways with my ASM6 but I did that with the full belief of knowing that there would be plenty of opportunities to purchase another copy of that book and in a number of grades.

And this particular book?

Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?

There's only one and there will never be another.

And so, despite the low grade and such... to me, it's an instant classic.

The book that shifted my focus paired with the signatures of two GA legends that I had the fortunate opportunity to briefly cross paths with...

All Star Comics 33

Signed by Joe Kubert and Irwin Hasen...

Joe passed away in 2012 at the age of 85.

as33_zpsthbowugw.jpg

What I really enjoyed about this book is that it features art from the various illustrators and their take on Solomon Grundy!

I find these two images to be amazing... the title page by Irwin Hasen and the Hawkman splash by Joe Kubert.

ihsg_zpsuokgeraz.jpg

jksg_zpsjjelxpsy.jpg

So, aside from the personal story that this book tells... is there any relevance to this book to either an underwater or moon theme?

Well, at the end of this story...

Spoiler alert:

all-starcomics33-page39_zps6brebhpc.jpg

The text mentions a planet but that certainly looks like the moon to me!

And there Grundy remains for almost 20 years.

And with that, a goodnight to all.

71663_171279322888265_7047602_n_zps63e37fd4.jpg

Rest In Peace Mr. Hasen...

May your soul dance among the stars.

EDIT:

I'm adding a few more solo splash scenes featuring different takes on Solomon Grundy from All Star Comics 33...

Chet Kozlak - The Atom

atom_zpszt7f6vah.jpg

Stan Asch - Dr. Mid-Nite

drmid_zpsslkonoeh.jpg

Irwin Hasen - Johnny Thunder

jt_zpskmtq1rgs.jpg

2015 EDIT: Book was sold during the Fall of 2015

This next book is one that I've had on my mind but I was starting to get the feeling that I was on the verge of waiting slightly too long to get a copy at the price that I wanted to spend.

(This seems to happening a lot lately...)

And that thought goes back a little to the speculative side of what I've been witnessing but it seems that if I had a little more insight as to what was going on in the market with regards to some Marvel BA books, then I might've bought a copy of this book a couple of years ago.

Because of that, I felt that if I wanted to get a copy to add to my collection, I might be best served getting one in mid grade.

This wasn't a book that I wanted as an investment... (thinking that it would go up in 'value' in short time) rather, it's just a cool book that introduces a pretty cool character!

This book was part of a 3 issue story arc in the Amazing Spider-Man that was really creepy to me when I first read it as a child in the late 70's. The issues were originally published in 1971 but I was way too young to have read them when they were first on the comic racks.

Anyways, the reason for the Nosferatu clips at the top was a loose connection to the introduction of this character.

I loved monsters as a child... I spoke earlier about my fascination with the Creature from the Black Lagoon (Gill-Man).

A very large image of Gill-man:

Click the image and notice the zipper under the right arm... https://dreager1.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/222895-gill_man.jpg

I also loved all the other Universal Monsters as well but it was the Nosferatu movie that really spooked me!

I'm not sure if it was just the 'look' of the creature, his movements or the age of the film (from 1922)... whatever it was, it certainly made an impression on me.

nosferatu_zps2apxdmkv.jpg

I can't remember if I saw that silent film before or after reading this Spider-Man story arc, but Morbius (for some reason) sort of gave me the same feeling. He was different and cast not in the same vein as the regal Bela Lugosi version of Dracula, but something more 'dead' and weird. The Marvel Comics version of Dracula didn't debut until 1972 and I think I was used to seeing that version before I even first saw this Morbius character.

And to top it all off...

Now one of my favorite heroes at the time had six arms which I thought was beyond creepy! I remember thinking that "Spider-Man was ruined".

So anyways, I've been wanting a copy of this and figured that I would be a little smarter about finding just the right one. Like I wrote a couple of months ago, I wanted to be a bit more tactful on buying some of these books that are now heating up and that process sort of goes back to where my state of mind was when I first got back into collecting 'key' comics... and that was to find the best presenting copy for my money (or what I would budget on a book) and not the other way around which is where I was starting to get myself into.

This book is a good example and my thoughts sort of reflect what Nick put forward in one of his recent videos about going after high grade copies. Of course he was referring to the upper high grades but his point resonated with me...

So, would it be wise to spend upwards of $300 on a copy of this book at VF- to VF range? Sure, the book could jump drastically in value but this would be an exercise for me in both fiscal value and personal value. I like the book a lot... just as ASM 6 is a favorite... but I don't 'need' to have a high grade copy. I realize that I can be just as happy having a copy of this book in almost any range.

It's the book that appeals to me, not the potential monetary value.

So this copy was listed for sale here on the boards not too long ago... the price and pretty nice centering looked good to me so I'm glad to have this book in my collection now.

I really like the cover on this as it prominently features a dramatic image of a character's first appearance!

Not only that but it's also a really nice blend of two artistic styles in that of Gil Kane and John Romita, two heavyweights with enduring imagery of Spider-Man for me throughout the 70's!

And through the pale blue of moonlight... Morbius is born!

asm101_zpsaiqx8gju.jpg

And speaking of Vampires.

Upon a recent visit to a newer comic store within a mall, I was flipping through their back issue bins when I saw this comic and pulled it out.

I stopped for a moment and had to try and collect my thoughts...

"That's where it came from?!"

Maybe it's just age catching up with me or maybe it's a possibility that I (somehow) hadn't seen this comic in 40 years!

This issue of Detective Comics 455 came out 40 years ago and it struck me as I looked at the date stamp on the cover, that this was one of my first comics as a child.

I don't remember owning it but I know I had it.

The reason I can say that is because my father (unbeknownst to him at the time) was cataloging a record of my first comics that I had 40 years ago!

I told the story of how he would put these drawings in my lunch box as a surprise but he copied the drawings directly from the comics I had back then.

So that's what went through my head as I looked at this comic...

Needless to say, this was the easiest $4.99 I had to pay for a comic! :)

In time, I think I'll post all of these drawings and try to identify what comics they came from.

vampire_zpseadsx3oz.jpg

dc455_zpsehj2xmxl.jpg

And is it just me or does that vampire look a lot like Christopher Lee's Dracula?

hm

dracula_zpsnwjmxevm.jpg

A quick jump across the pond, lands us once again in peril and underwater!

Last fall, amidst some difficult times... a friend comes through like a ray of sunshine.

I think it was back in late October last year and just after the NY City ComicCon that I met up with my friend Rob at our local Timmy Hortons. He shared with me some stories of the NYCC and told me about some books that he saw at the show. There was one book that he found there but thought that I had it... well I did, but that's another story for another time.

But for now, he bought this book for me that he found at (I believe) My Comic Shop just after the NYCC.

When I saw the book, I immediately loved the cover but never saw anything like it... it was small but looked like it was in beautiful condition.

Why was the grade on it only a VG+... ???

Well, when I took the book out and saw the nearly half book length spine split, I figured it out.

What was really unique about this copy though was that it was literally from across the pond. It was a UK copy and physically smaller than its US counterpart. Measuring only 7 1/8th X 9 5/8th, this Fawcett publication with black and white interiors is pretty cool!

From 1948...

Don Winslow of the Navy 114 with a gorgeous underwater cover!

DWOTN114_zpsuyo9rtqz.jpg

And who needs Charles Atlas when you have George Jowett?!

DWOTN114bk_zpssi8kemve.jpg

DWOTN-int_zpsqhjov8re.jpg

At first I was going to send this into CGC but had second thoughts about it as it didn't make too much financial sense.

I think it was a month or two after I received this book that I was browsing on the MCS website and I saw a few more of these UK copies listed. There was one that I wanted to get that featured Don Winslow staring up at a full moon while a villain escaped via telephone lines.

Unfortunately, I forgot about the auction and I think the book sold for just a few dollars... :(

Something else to keep my eyes out for now!

Thank you Nick! :blush:

I just went back and added a few more images to the tail-end of the All Star Comics 33 write up...

Just more renderings of Solomon Grundy from that issue which I found online.

I just received an email that made my day... the book that I'm super excited about receiving is finally on it's way back from CGC!

:whee:

I bought the book raw and had it in my hands for a only a day before sending it out.

Needless to say, I can't wait to get it back!

And yesterday I used my coupons and sent 4 books into CGC... two of those are Aquaman issues and the other two are replacements for a couple of books that I had but sold over the summer.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how these all turn out!

WHAT A WEEK!

Where, oh where do I start... :ohnoez:

Actually, the past week and a half has been a bit nutty with work and other matters around the house, but I guess I'll start with this.

Daredevil was released on Netflix just over a week ago on Friday.

I've watched a handful of episodes and I really, really like it!

Actually, I liked it so much that I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a book directly relating to the character. I'll talk about that more in depth a little later, but it was one that I was targeting for a year or so and kept putting it off.

So, following a successful few nights of Daredevil, it was time for Sunday to come around and that only meant one thing...

Winter is coming!

Yes, it was the return of Game of Thrones after a long wait following season 4.

I had the night all planned out and celebrated the return of GoT with a very nice Trappist!

It was a perfect pairing to go along with the season opener...

gotbeer_zpsci5pun74.jpg

And now I already have another lined up for tomorrow night!

gotbeer2_zpspfkaoytw.jpg

Ommegang brewery is pretty local around here, located in Cooperstown, NY...

http://www.ommegang.com/got/valar_morghulis.php

On Monday I received my big book that I've been super excited about! It'll be a lot of fun talking about this one and that'll come soon enough.

I still can't believe I have this book now!

But on Monday, something else happened.

I sold a couple of books on eBay but the buyer information that I received on one book in particular made me sit right up and take notice.

The name was instantly recognizable and the address was too close to not be who I was thinking this was.

The buyer's name was Terry Austin and for those not familiar with that name, Terry Austin is arguably one the industries premiere inkers. He has also done some full comic artwork and writing in his career as well.

Well, I've never done anything like this before, but I had to reach out in some way.

You see, Terry Austin was a very influential figure in my early learning of comic art and it was that which led me to work on my own pieces in a particular manner. I was horrible at using a brush to do any kind of detail work as some of the comic masters had been able to do such as Joe Rubinstein and D. Giordano.

But it was reading about Terry Austin that gave me hope as it was understood that he inked with a quill, brush and very possibly, technical pens.

Now that, I could do a bit better with!

As a matter of fact, during that year at the Kubert School, the way I used a pen became sort of a running joke and for one project in particular, we had to come up with a 'how to' type of storyboard. I forgot what I did for that assignment but another student, Kevin, did his in this humorous fashion.

He gave this to me after the assignment was handed back (1988)...

inking_zpsnstcftwm.jpg

So when I saw this name appear in my eBay buyer information, well... like I just mentioned, I never did anything like this before, but with this book, I included a little letter and this is what I wrote:

Mr. Austin,

I want to thank you for purchasing my book and I hope you'll be satisfied with it!

If there are any problems or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know.

My email address is: dmpels@gmail.com

And please forgive the next part of this letter, as there are times and occasions where the fan-boy in me begs to escape!

On the chance that you are indeed, Terry Austin- the inker, writer and artist of many comics, I just wanted to pass along a little note to let you know just how much I've admired your work throughout the ages. As a young collector and enthusiast of comics in the 70's, 80's and beyond, your work gave immediate legitimacy to whatever piece you were working on.

It was mainly your inking style that first taught me about the real art and appreciation of inking and the identification of varying line weights. As an amateur artist, I tried to emulate that style myself and learned a lot from that experience. Sadly, I didn't pursue those aspirations to their full extent but viewing your work, was and has been, a total enjoyment for me through and through!

On the chance that you're Terry Austin- the comic collector of Golden Age books...

I hope you enjoy this copy of The Marvel Family 88 and please do take care of yourself!

All the best,

-David.

Well, guess what?

It was him and I received this in response...

David: Just a quick note to let you know that the comic book arrived and to say thanks very much! Thanks also for your wonderful letter-- it's nice to be remembered in such a sincere and articulate manner. Yes, it's me and I've recently fallen in love with the later Marvel (Cap, Mary, Jr and Family) titles. It seems that there is always something new to discover on eBay (keeping me broke but happy). Anyway, positive feedback has been left for you and hope that we can do this dance again soon! Best regards, Terry

The funny thing is... I would've given him the book for free as that's how important a talent he was for me while I was learning the tools of the trade!

(I hope he doesn't mind his words being reprinted... I didn't see any sensitive information in that correspondence so I thought it might be okay. If not, I'll certainly change it!)

So that was Monday.

The rest of the week had me constantly checking the CGC site to see if there was any movement on the books I submitted.

Still 'Verified'... :)

But here is where we get to the end of the week.

Saturday.

I had to work but when I finished up a little earlier than usual, I decided to go to my LCS. I picked up the first two DC Convergence issues and then was about to head home when on a 'whim' I thought to make one more stop.

Last year, I wrote about this other LCS that I really liked but found out that it was sold and under new management. I guess that sort of discouraged me as I haven't even been in to see the new place and new owner.

Last summer, as has been documented here, I sold a big part of my underwater collection as I was trying to find my way though advancing tides. What should I keep- what should I get rid of... that kind of thing.

Well there were a few books that I wished I could go back to retrieve... one of those was the Big Red Octopus of Star Spangled 68 and I was thrilled to recently get that one back.

But there was one book that was causing me fits and you'd be surprised at which one!

It doesn't 'fit' into my superhero only underwater theme but it was what I had written about this book that hooked these tendrils into my heart and was forcing me to look for this book online on almost a weekly basis since selling it.

Nyoka 21... with the awesome cover by Janice Valleau.

I almost pulled that book back like I decided to do with the Piracy 7 but at the last minute, I just decided to let it go.

Man, did I regret that one!

And so, this evening I go to the new comic shop and I'm looking around and I like what I see... LOTS of raw wall books and some that I've been looking for.

No Aquaman books that I need but I did find a handful of others.

After about a half hour of looking around, I head up to the register and stop dead in my tracks.

There behind the register are some of my books I sold locally last summer.

And right there in front of me... that Nyoka 21!

And next to that, another I regretted parting with- Plastic Man 36.

I ask to see both and they are indeed my old copies. As I'm looking at these books and quickly trying to figure what I can afford, the owner starts to tell me that he's having a sale and these CGC books and the raw books are all discounted.

He gives me a price and I couldn't pass it up.

Essentially, I bought back the Nyoka 21 and the Plastic Man 36 for what I sold them for last summer and received the raw books for free!

Needless to say, this gentleman won my business and I'll be back for more.

So, I'm thrilled to say that I have these two books back in my collection as well...

pm36_zpsce46eaf7.jpg

Nyoka21_zpse7bde92e.jpg

And the free books?

I don't think anyone would pass these up!

comics415_zpsedwhuvab.jpg

But this week doesn't end there!

I just watched this and all I can say is... WOW!

It's well after midnight now and I'd love to talk about a few more things but it's time...

Goodnight all!

Wow, what a week. Not sure which is more impressive, the Terry Austin story or getting your comics back. I'm also a fan of Terry, although I think of him as his work with John Byrne. Where'd you get the GOT beers?

What a story! It's great you got to correspond with Terry Austin and just as great to find some 'old friends' again. The Daredevil series looks sweet. I'm way behind on GoT, I have yet to watch an episode. I don't know how this is as I have several co-workers who watch and read the series.

The Nyoka cover is interesting, I also like that Phantom Stranger cover.

Wow, what a week. Not sure which is more impressive, the Terry Austin story or getting your comics back. I'm also a fan of Terry, although I think of him as his work with John Byrne. Where'd you get the GOT beers?

There are a couple of grocery stores here in town that sells them. So far I've only been able to find 2 of the 5 that they have.

The search continues!

i really enjoyed the part with Terry Austin!

Thanks Nick!

What a story! It's great you got to correspond with Terry Austin and just as great to find some 'old friends' again. The Daredevil series looks sweet. I'm way behind on GoT, I have yet to watch an episode. I don't know how this is as I have several co-workers who watch and read the series.

And thanks Brandon...

That Phantom Stranger book is Showcase 80 (1st SA app.) with an awesome Neal Adams cover.

This is the copy I got yesterday... I guess it was from an original owner collection and looks to be around a VG/FN.

I've been wanting to read this one for a while. :)

sc80_zpsbykwkbbi.jpg

i really enjoyed the part with Terry Austin!

Thanks Nick!

And thanks Brandon...

That Phantom Stranger book is Showcase 80 (1st SA app.) with an awesome Neal Adams cover.

This is the copy I got yesterday... I guess it was from an original owner collection and looks to be around a VG/FN.

I've been wanting to read this one for a while. :)

sc80_zpsbykwkbbi.jpg

Thats a great book to have Hibou, I have one myself, and think ita a great cover, and cheaper than going after his first appearance in the golden age.

There was one book in particular that I was after this year but I thought it would come later rather than sooner. It just so happened that one decision to pursue an auction turned out pretty well for me!

I had been after a book of this title and in this range for sometime and it was probably a couple of years ago when I narrowed it down precisely to which issue I was after.

Many books came and went... there were a couple that I was just too slow in deciding what to do and then there were others that simply weren't appealing enough.

But then, in the dead of winter of this year, one shows up and makes for one happy collector! :D

[font:Century Gothic]It's 1940...[/font]

Glenn Miller plays on the radio as young and old gather at their favorite corner market or newsstand to see what new adventures lie ahead.

1a34424r19411942_zpsawfmasyy.jpg

newsstand_11_zpst7qjyx7f.jpg

newsstand_zpslhtgct9i.jpg

For me, the 1940's was always like some sort of familiar stranger.

She wears a face so recognizable, yet you have absolutely no idea who she is or how you got to know her.

That's been the 40's for me... drawn to this moment outside of my own timeline with no clue as to how or why.

I remember being in this old hotel in NYC in the mid 70's with my parents and grandparents. I was very young but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was (at that moment) in a different time within that hotel. Perhaps it was the old radiator in the room with it's cyclic awakening or even the snow and static from the old black and white set in the room.

I didn't feel like I was in another city at this old hotel, I felt like I was in another time...

I think that was (unknowingly) my first nostalgic embrace of the 40's.

When I was first starting to collect comics, it was those books from back then that seemed to carry some sort of magic within them- something very unique. Looking back and judging from a lot of these words I've written on here, it's no surprise that Batman was and has been a favorite character of mine for a very long time. When I first had the means to search after and acquire GA books... Batman was the one that I was obsessed with.

So this one book has been a pretty important one for me and on many different levels.

When you play a simple word association game with certain figures, it's interesting to note what's revealed.

I'll do this sometimes while driving just to pass the time. :busy:

Think of Superman.

And what follows?

First thoughts in your head...

And go down the line with other facets of pop-culture.

So let's do this with Batman.

Well obviously I think the first word that would pop in your head would be Robin.

And then what?

Maybe the Joker, Bruce Wayne... Alfred.

[font:Century Gothic]Gotham City?[/font]

It was that last one that sort of had me hooked especially after watching the new series.

GothamTitlesm_zpssp985dyd.jpg

The first mention or 'appearance' of Gotham City is a bit of a mystery as n2wdw first mentioned here...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7287580&fpart=32

The debate is due to the CGC label which denotes Detective Comics 48 (Feb 1941) as the first Gotham City but also with Batman 4 (Winter 1940), however; 'Tec 48, according to OSPG is the 1st mention of Gotham in Detective Comics.

So yes, Batman's Gotham City is first mentioned in Batman 4. And for what it's worth, Wikipedia lists Batman 4 as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_City

And as for the Gotham of Wow Comics #1 from Fawcett Comics?

That issue was released in December of 1940 (CGC states on their label as 'Winter 1940')... Batman 4 is listed as Winter of 1940 so I'm thinking they were on the newsstands together.

If someone could clarify that, I'd appreciate it! :)

Batman 1 is an absolute grail for me and many others but the likelihood of ever owning one is slim and none and... well, you know how the rest goes.

Actually, when thinking about the early issues of Batman and Detective Comics , there are many favorites but again, I don't think I'll ever own any of those... Detective 27, 29, 31, 33, 35... Batman 1...

So for a few years, I kept thinking about the first 5 issues of Batman and thought that somewhere in there would be an achievable goal for me.

But why only the first 5 issues?

Well, because of this...

batslogo_zpsk5n60uau.jpg

My absolute favorite GA comic book logo!

I love the gothic look to this from the ribbed bat to the Bob Kane drawn head. The first 3 issues feature a Batman head with long ears and then a shortened ear version was used for the next 2 issues. I believe the logo is a Jerry Robinson creation and then with issue #6, Jerry redesigned the entire logo including the head.

This terrific blog details the evolution of all the Batman logos and from many other books as well... it's an incredible exploration into that side of the comic book for those that have an interest in that type of thing!

Batman parts 1 and 2:

http://kleinletters.com/Blog/logo-study-batman-part-1/

http://kleinletters.com/Blog/logo-study-batman-part-2/

Main page with contents:

http://kleinletters.com/Blog/logo-links/

So for me, Batman #4 was sort of like a poor man's Batman 1...

Whereas Batman 1 depicts the dynamic duo swinging across the cityscape of Gotham (seemingly during midday)... Batman 4 depicts a later scene, as night falls and the full moon rises to spotlight Batman and Robin descending from... something.

Maybe the Batplane?

What's sort of funny is looking at the first 6 issues of Batman and how the circular 'spotlight' was used as a simple background device.

It's issue #4 that uses that motif most effectively in my opinion... whether Bob Kane meant it to be a full moon high above the city skyline or not, it's what I see first and foremost.

Here's a look at the circular background with just the first 6 issues. You can also see it a few more times in the following issues after that.

batmancircle_zps303vfth3.jpg

And so as you've most likely concluded by now, Batman 4 was and has been a book that was very high on my 'must get' list. I targeted this year as the year that I pursue that but I thought it was going to take some time to find just the right copy.

But then, unexpectedly, while browsing through various sites, I found a copy listed on the Heritage Sunday auctions. I believe this was back in February and when I first saw the book I thought to myself that it would be the ideal one to go after but I had a feeling it was going to go way over what I could afford. There were a few things wrong with it but it looked really clean to me and the colors were terrific.

And so I watched it for the week.

And then on Sunday night, at the last minute, I decided to watch the live auction part of it. I hadn't had luck with their live auctions before in the past... from Prize Comics 18 to Detective Comics 70... but this time I would be sitting at my home computer instead of on my phone.

As the lots started to roll in, I noticed that the highest bid amount hadn't moved in a few days. I had a little bit of time to think about this as there were many books in front of this Batman 4 lot number.

I did some calculations, determined what I could afford by what I would have to sell and what my absolute highest price would be that I'd be willing to pay.

And so, I put in a bid and surprisingly, the bid jumped up to the next increment and now I was the high bidder.

I didn't expect that.

It was here that I started to get nervous because now I could start to taste that I might actually have a shot at this book but what if the last second bids came in to top mine?

Well, when the lot number started to get dangerously close, I was noticing that there weren't any bids coming in during this live session.

Were people just not interested on this cold, winter night?

The Batman 4 rolled in and I was expecting the bid amount to jump as the seconds ticked away and then...

It ended.

I had to wait a few minutes but then the reality set in.

I actually won the book on Heritage!

And my winning bid (even with the BP) was a bit less than the book is listed for in the current OSPG.

I was a bit in disbelief but super thrilled at the same time. I think I was so thrilled that I felt like jumping off of the chair that I was sitting in...

...but I didn't.

I just stared at the book for a while.

The next few thoughts in my head was to contact Mike DeChellis at Hero Restoration because I knew that the book was going to need some work or I would risk the chance that this copy would be put into a magazine sized slab when sent into CGC... and that's something I couldn't let happen.

The book was listed on Heritage in Good condition (2.0) with a detached centerfold. I mentioned that to Mike and he said he would take a look when he got the book.

These are the pictures straight from Heritage (scaled down slightly) before being sent to Mike:

heritagebt4fc_zpsh3rsm6r5.jpg

heritagebt4bc_zpsnrqadrvl.jpg

When I received the book from Heritage and looked through it, the paper felt pretty nice and the centerfold seemed to still have some integrity to it. I took some pictures, read through it and then sent it off the very next day.

This would be the first time that I would have someone else other than myself submit a book to CGC. This would be a test for me as I love to follow the progress on submissions!

When Mike got the book, he replied to me through email informing me of my options for the centerfold. He said that it could be left as is or he could try to reattach it without the use of tape. I let him know that if it could be repaired without restoration to go ahead and do that but ultimately I'd leave it up to his better judgment. That was my last communication with Mike until he let me know that the book was on it's way to CGC.

And this would be the part where I tried to just put the book out of my mind while I would wait and hope for the best.

Perhaps that was a good strategy to use because the time seemed to pass fairly quickly and then finally, just recently, the book arrived!

What was I going to see when I pulled the book from the box?

I was hoping for a 3.0 but I had a feeling that a 2.5 was more in store.

And so, I opened up the CGC box and slowly revealed the label. I started revealing the right side first. I was very happy when I saw the PQ, but when it came to the grade box in the left hand corner.

I think the words Holy :censored: escaped my mouth!

It was much better than I thought...

:whee:

bats4_zpsnfimd2u3.jpg

Looking at the book now, you can see just how much of the spine roll Mike was able to remove and from the looks of it, not another 1/16th of an inch could've been spared!

It's funny, just as with my Sensation Comics 5, purchased in Good (2.0) condition with a pretty major spine roll... this book came back with an identical grade as well!

sen5.jpg

So another big thank you goes out to Mike at Hero Restoration!

http://www.herorestoration.net/

I love having this book in my collection now and here are some of the interior pictures I took prior to sending it off...

FC Interior:

bt4insidecvr_zpssbljodvo.jpg

The first mention of GOTHAM CITY!:

gothamgaz_zpshukxutyr.jpg

Awesome early Joker splash page:

bt4splash_zps8q2fq5lj.jpg

An early view of the Batplane:

bt4batplane_zpsm4iujvns.jpg

Batman vs. the shark:

bt4shark1_zps4gcu7q8i.jpg

bt4shark2_zps75csfdd5.jpg

Full page ad for Detective Comics 49:

bt4tec49_zpsgrpth4ti.jpg

Bob Kane seems to forget the 'Bat' on Batman often:

bt4noinsig_zpsker65b8b.jpg

A sneak peek at the cover for issue #5... or is it?:

bt4bt5splash_zps1t7ngabp.jpg

Full page ad for All Star Comics 4:

bt4as4ad_zpshzxdy3lv.jpg

As noted on the CGC label... full page ad for World's Best Comics 1:

bt4wb2ad_zpsbpg1mppb.jpg

And with that...

Goodnight. :)

Thats a great book to have Hibou, I have one myself, and think ita a great cover, and cheaper than going after his first appearance in the golden age.

Thanks DeadPoolJr!

It was a good read and yes, definitely cheaper than the GA Phantom Stranger.

It's interesting to see his face, this is the only one I know to show him like this. I wonder if there are others to reveal the stranger.

Good question, Brandon... and one that I don't have the answer to. Just recently, a boardie was selling an entire run of PS at a great price. The lot included that SC80... I almost bought it but couldn't justify it. I've had a few issues in the past and that run is filled with great artwork!

This next book goes way back to July of 2013... July 8th, 2013 to be precise.

You see, that's when I received this email from my good friend Rob and within that email he wrote this:

"Just to ruin your day, I have attached the covers for some more books you should be on the lookout for..."

And with that, he had attached about a half dozen underwater cover books that he thought would appeal to me. Well, there was one book in that grouping that really did appeal to me and as soon as I saw it, I went looking for a copy.

Sadly, at that time, there wasn't one to be found and after a while I suppose I just put it in the back of my head as I continued down the path that I was on back then. As I continued to look for that book, now and then, I came across others that appealed to me but they just didn't have that same impact with me as this one.

And the fact that there were so many volumes and issues of this title only seemed to complicate the matter when trying to look up any existing copies for sale.

But then just this past January (and thanks to Comic Link once again!) that all changed. Browsing that month's auction led me to this book and it was one of those thoughts that ran through my head where I felt I had to get the book and not let this one go.

Luckily, I got the book right at where my maximum bid was so I was quite happy about that. But even at that amount, apparently the book sold at half of what's listed in the OSPG.

I guess that goes to show the disconnect that one can find with the price guide!

Who knows why that is.

Well, actually...

From 1943 comes Shadow Comics (Volume 3) #6.

sc36_zpsgbdplrvq.jpg

There is so much that I like about this book... obviously there's the pulp feel to it but the illustration is just amazing to me. One thing that stands out is the handling of the foreground fish with the illuminated and heavier line weight.

I haven't done a scale in a long time but this one would rate as a 70.

The swordfish and the octopus take up a good portion of the composition but then you also have some subtle additional pieces like the few fish in the background and foreground along with the singular vegetation and just a small depiction of air bubbles escaping from The Shadow's mouth.

I know that this book slightly steps out of my 'superhero underwater' theme but as Rob pointed out to me... perhaps this is simply a subset of that and this is the first of my 'pulp heroes' collection!

:ohnoez:

Anyways, it's a great book and second highest on the census, which I thought was pretty cool!

And finally, from the Golden Age of radio...

A broadcast from October of 1937

This book proves to be a nice segue into my next one which should be fun to write about soon enough!

Afterall, you can't think of The Shadow without thinking about...

hm

Great idea Brandon and pretty observant too!

I've decided to start a new theme.

... Illuminating the darkness! lol

Anyways, before I get to another book I have a bunch of jumbled thoughts from today so I'll start to get to those next.