• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Letter 44 Oni

600 posts in this topic

Pretty much everyone I have told the first issue too plot wise loves the idea. Translating it into TV can be hard, but its easily achievable I think. Its all in the production. :wishluck:

(thumbs u

I think the slow reveal of the series to date is unusually well suited for a TV season. Lots of dramatic material that unfolds bit by bit, and multiple interesting plotlines that can be intertwined and expanded.

One other thing to remember... Battlestar Galactica first aired in 2004.

Stargate wasn't an original Sci-Fi channel series, I think it started on Showtime.

They own Defiance, so give them that for sure - while I don't think it is great, I would never say it is garbage or anything of that sort. And I know the Corman-esque movies are supposed to be Corman-esque, I admitted that. But my point was that it does not help their brand. I believe they have stated that this slate of five new shows is supposed to be an effort to redefine their brand.

Anyway, I guess my main point is that they haven't done anything really good on their own (subjective - many people like yourself like Defiance) in over a decade, so I think they've earned the skepticism that myself and others have towards their efforts.

I hope everyone gives them a shot though, I want to see more stuff like Letter 44 on television, and if they succeed with this, then that'll make that more likely.

One other thing to remember... Battlestar Galactica first aired in 2004.

Stargate wasn't an original Sci-Fi channel series, I think it started on Showtime.

They own Defiance, so give them that for sure - while I don't think it is great, I would never say it is garbage or anything of that sort. And I know the Corman-esque movies are supposed to be Corman-esque, I admitted that. But my point was that it does not help their brand. I believe they have stated that this slate of five new shows is supposed to be an effort to redefine their brand.

Anyway, I guess my main point is that they haven't done anything really good on their own (subjective - many people like yourself like Defiance) in over a decade, so I think they've earned the skepticism that myself and others have towards their efforts.

I hope everyone gives them a shot though, I want to see more stuff like Letter 44 on television, and if they succeed with this, then that'll make that more likely.

We'll agree to disagree you point out one show they have done that is good and that is just ridiculous. If that were the case how are they even profitable to stay on the air this long?

Here are more shows you may not even be aware that they have aired multiple seasons.

Dresden files was decent and should have returned,

Lost girl is not my thing but has a lot of viewers,

Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, Universe to name three that were highly watched

Warehouse 13

Haven (very popular)

the US Being Human

Helix is in its second season

12 Monkeys

Continuum moving there cause NBC has spoon up their spoons

And Constantine is moving there as well

All of these series I listed have done well and have / had a audience. I've given these facts to show they have done things other than big bug movies that everyone is pointing out. I give them props for evolving and taking chances on programs other networks either passed on or cancelled and moved to the network.

People watch these shows that would never make network let alone most cable networks.

Thoughts on Charles Soule's WordPress:

Mention of WW3 and this photo ---- USA must bomb Germany in issue 14 or 15.

detail.jpg

I mean, if people are already up to date currently...

Finally! We get to see what Soule teased months ago. And boy, issue 15 was superb!!! It's a great start to a new story arc.

I'm excited.

Still really enjoying this. Been a lot of twists and turns, especially this last issue with the asteroid. Really digging the geopolitical battles, both on earth and in space. Soule is writing a hell of a earth/space opera here.

And it feels like the artist is getting more comfortable with his style over time, and really delivering some cool layouts these last five issues. There is a lot of break-outs off the panel walls with the action sequences, which are awesome.

Recommend picking it back up if you dropped off the series after the $1 first issue.

Book is solid stuff.

Definitely puts a smile on the face when it comes out each month.

I'm afraid it will trail off into nowhere land due to the lack of interest.

Pariah was another great space story and I'm one of only 3 people in the world that read it.

Patrick

The space art is pretty fantastic.

gallerypiece.asp?piece=1130570

And I really think that Chris Soule, by keeping this project alive at Oni Press while doing his move from writing all of DC's books to writing all of Marvel's books, is indicative that this is where his best work is. And it shows. There isn't a month that goes by that doesn't end with a "No S*%t!" on this book.

The space art is pretty fantastic.

gallerypiece.asp?piece=1130570

And I really think that Chris Soule, by keeping this project alive at Oni Press while doing his move from writing all of DC's books to writing all of Marvel's books, is indicative that this is where his best work is. And it shows. There isn't a month that goes by that doesn't end with a "No S*%t!" on this book.

+1

I really enjoyed the title, but trailed off around issue #12 where one of the male astronauts turned into a super-powered-something-or-other... felt like the tone was drifting a bit from what I really liked about the series. Trying to decide whether to go back and pick up the ones I missed.