• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Lee selling his art collection?

125 posts in this topic

.....excellent thread. No way I'd ever attempt a top 5 most influencial ..... there are just too many. Maybe a top 10. I'd say by definition it would be artists whose style inspired industry wide standards for several years. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... I'd be curious who Jim Lee's influences are.

.....excellent thread. No way I'd ever attempt a top 5 most influencial ..... there are just too many. Maybe a top 10. I'd say by definition it would be artists whose style inspired industry wide standards for several years. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... I'd be curious who Jim Lee's influences are.

John Byrne, Frank Miller, Kirby ect...the usual suspects :)

So all those Jim Lee pieces are from Jim's personal collection?

Any of the others?

For some reason, Heritage removed the From the Personal Collection of Jim Lee notation during the middle of the preview from a number of pieces. I recall that there were approximately 40-45 pieces in total that were labeled as such, including the Miller Daredevil pages, Charest WildCATS, a Peanuts sunday, BWS Stormwatch, Minara nudes, and a number of other quite diverse and exemplary pieces.

Late to the thread, but yeah -- I'm nearing 40 and Jim Lee was the pinnacle of comic book artists when I was in my teens.

He's been more influential (and consistently prolific) than McFarlane, who set at least some of the recent OA sales records so there should be no doubt that major pieces of his own work would (appropriately) reach the stratosphere. And he also directly influenced or directly trained more popular current artists than McFarlane.

I absolutely put him in the same category as Byrne, Perez and BWS from the generation before. Yes, his influence may be limited to superhero comics, but that's (for good or ill) what dominates the comic book market these days.

Anyone who puts together a top 10 list of (superhero) comic book artists and doesn't include Lee is either kidding themselves or irrationally discounting all comic artwork produced in the last 30 years.