• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Lee selling his art collection?

125 posts in this topic

I really don't think its jim that took comics global though.

That credit goes back to stan, jack, and the people that created the marvel movies first and foremost, IMO.

By Marvel movies, are you referring to X-Men? Because that movie never gets made before the Lee/Williams record sales on their X-Men run.

They went for about 40 the pair

Was anybody else surprised that "Planetary Control Room" sold for (much) more than "Pavilions of Joy"? I would have guessed for sure that the latter would sell for more. (shrug)

Was anybody else surprised that "Planetary Control Room" sold for (much) more than "Pavilions of Joy"? I would have guessed for sure that the latter would sell for more. (shrug)

Yes! Since one was not more historical than the other i thought Aesthetics would win out and in my opinion Pavillions of joy was much more pleasing to the eye.

very much so yeah, I expected prices to be reversed as compared to what was realized.

It also begs the question... "Influential to what or whom"... Influences other artists? Influences fans? Influences the industry?

I do think, again in terms of impact, Jim Lee, credit where credit is due is probably a stronger influential force than critically acclaimed artists.

It's like saying do singer songwriters like Ani DiFranco or Sarah McLachlan have more influence than Britney Spears or Lady Gaga in the world of music... again it depends if addressing the masses or if addressing the professionals VS the fans... or addressing the industry, but economically and/or sheer popularity.

Jim Lee's contribution on all levels seems pretty solid.

He was one of the first artists to charge a grip load of money for commissions.

His modern artwork, as represented by a dealer seems to have a solid high minimum benchmark and always sells.

When he's attached to a comic book, be it cover or interiors, the issues sell higher than the non-Jim Lee prior or subsequent issues as well as peers.

When he makes appearances, even if a simple signing, so not even factoring in free sketches, he commands lines that takes hours to drain. I though I even heard he has enough pull and swagger to charge a $10k+ appearance fee just to show up at a convention.

Many fans call him their favorite artist.

Many artists respectfully admire him as a peer.

Beyond artwork, as a business man, he's shown to have successful instincts and a business mind that has enabled him to excel.

So, as far as "influence" goes, Jim Lee has touched a broader range in various aspects than a lot of his peers.

For what it's worth...

I was joking with Jim as the hammer fell on these two pieces yesterday that I had to talk him into buying both in the '93 Sotheby's auction (which is absolutely true), and that he owes me one. We bought it together for our studio (Homage Studios) and I thought these pieces were so cool, I wanted them hanging on our walls. I kept notes and we won Pavillions of Joy for $2100, and Planetary Control Room for $6000, and it was the PCR that was my favorite. It was just soooooooo KIRBY in every way and the scale just blew my socks off. PCR had some minor condition problems, but it was the real prize in my opinion, much more that POJ. So am I surprised that PCR went for more than POJ? Not at all. Just a better and more epic piece IMHO.

And while I truly did have to convince Jim 20 years ago, it's not really an "I told you so" moment now. There were multiple pieces from that same '93 auction that would have been a MUCH BETTER "investment" than these two pieces. ART is a much bigger motivator to me than investment at the time of purchase. That holds true all the way.......................until it's time to sell! lol

Scott

I don't think he's equating Lee and JB. I think he's saying that their influence on the market was sort of similar. Nothing groundbreaking, but nice visuals that were popular. I don't think he's trying to analyze who was more talented. Just that neither was like a Miller or a Crumb with unique styles and a different approach.

(thumbs u

With or without 8 kids or any personal overhead, some artists aren't attached to their artwork and some like the thought of others enjoying that art, so don't like keeping their own original art, and it doesn't hurt knowing the artist already got paid by the publisher to do the work, and it's an extra bonus to sell 8 oz of paper without any emotional attachment for four or five figures. Sounds pretty smart to me...

If anything, Jim Lee has proven to be both a creative talent and a savvy business person, a rare double threat set of skills to possess.

He also can't seem to keep it in his pants.

With or without 8 kids or any personal overhead, some artists aren't attached to their artwork and some like the thought of others enjoying that art, so don't like keeping their own original art, and it doesn't hurt knowing the artist already got paid by the publisher to do the work, and it's an extra bonus to sell 8 oz of paper without any emotional attachment for four or five figures. Sounds pretty smart to me...

If anything, Jim Lee has proven to be both a creative talent and a savvy business person, a rare double threat set of skills to possess.

:signfunny:

Can't keep what in his pants? His originals?

Can't keep what in his pants? His originals?

:signfunny:

Pretty sure that would kill the value (but with some collector's you never know!)

It also begs the question... "Influential to what or whom"... Influences other artists? Influences fans? Influences the industry?

I do think, again in terms of impact, Jim Lee, credit where credit is due is probably a stronger influential force than critically acclaimed artists.

It's like saying do singer songwriters like Ani DiFranco or Sarah McLachlan have more influence than Britney Spears or Lady Gaga in the world of music... again it depends if addressing the masses or if addressing the professionals VS the fans... or addressing the industry, but economically and/or sheer popularity.

Jim Lee's contribution on all levels seems pretty solid.

He was one of the first artists to charge a grip load of money for commissions.

His modern artwork, as represented by a dealer seems to have a solid high minimum benchmark and always sells.

When he's attached to a comic book, be it cover or interiors, the issues sell higher than the non-Jim Lee prior or subsequent issues as well as peers.

When he makes appearances, even if a simple signing, so not even factoring in free sketches, he commands lines that takes hours to drain. I though I even heard he has enough pull and swagger to charge a $10k+ appearance fee just to show up at a convention.

Many fans call him their favorite artist.

Many artists respectfully admire him as a peer.

Beyond artwork, as a business man, he's shown to have successful instincts and a business mind that has enabled him to excel.

So, as far as "influence" goes, Jim Lee has touched a broader range in various aspects than a lot of his peers.

great post. I think commercial popularity always works against artists with critics. Jim's graphic shorthand has been very popular with other artists for 20 years as well as fans.

Would be interesting to see the various ages of people chiming in on this thread.

I think it would just be a reason to dismiss opinions by citing generational bias

well, bias should be dismissed...shouldn't it? That would be the point I think.