• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books About Comic Books

40 posts in this topic

"Tales To Astonish: Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, and the American Comic Book Revolution." Ronin Ro

7438670.jpg

"Give Our Regards to the Atomsmashers!: Writers on Comics" Sean Howe (Editor)

7676087.jpg

But I haven't read these two.

"Comic Wars" - not GA but interesting if you're into the business side of Marvel Comics for the past 10-15 years.

And of course, everyone should read "Understanding Comics" and its sequel by Scott McCloud.

Forbidden Adventures: This history of the American Comics Group by Michael Vance. This is my favorite book of the bunch by far. A pioneering work on ACG, well-written and genuinely informative.

My gawd you have to be kidding me! A book on ACG???? Never knew about it. I just ordered it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man! A book about ACG! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Pov, ya won't be disappointed. The ACG book is really a fun read. Scholarly but not pretentious, and the author seems to genuinely give a damn. I managed to track a copy down at my local library, believe it or not. It was one of my most pleasant book discoveries of the summer!

Please post a review once you've read it.

I'm as surprissed as you. Guess everything will be written about eventually.

Well, I recieved it a bit ago here in work. Surprisingly small hardcover. Big price (lists for $85 but got it a lot cheaper on Amazon used). Book looks absolutely new and unopened. I will begin reading first opportunity!

Yep, it's a pretty short book, about 150 pages or so if I remember right. But jam-packed with good info. Didn't realize it was so pricey, as I got it out of the library. Biggest problem with the book: almost no pictures!!!

Still, I think you'll dig it , pov. Enjoy!

Not sure if this is what you would be interested in or not. Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud came out a few years ago and was a really very interesting and entertaining read(even made the book in comic book format). thumbsup2.gif

This book is more about the medium of comics and what makes a comic a comic.

Even though I knew much of what the book covered it was still fun.Great for those in the hobby and those not so familiar with the hobby.I believe he has come out with another book in the series but not sure on the title.Goes for $22.95 or there abouts at the big book stores.

Two recent books I enjoyed very much were "The Comic Book Makers" by Joe Simon and "The Golden Age of Comic Fandom" by Bill Schelly. Both are good reads!

Just finished "The Comic Book Makers" this past weekend. Definitely second the opinion that this is a good read (and has nice art and a few short stories - of the comic variety - included). thumbsup2.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Check out:

Man of Two Worlds: My Life in Science Fiction and Comics by Julius Schwarz and Brian Thomsen. Excellent book covers a lot of history.

Great anecdotes and you can really hear Julie telling them!! I learned a lot about the early sci-fi pulps that I had no idea about.

If you PM me your address, I'll mail you the copy I have. I only request that when you're done you pass it to some other comic fan with the same stipulation.

Forbidden Adventures: This history of the American Comics Group by Michael Vance. This is my favorite book of the bunch by far. A pioneering work on ACG, well-written and genuinely informative.

My gawd you have to be kidding me! A book on ACG???? Never knew about it. I just ordered it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man! A book about ACG! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well I got it and read it and forgot to post about it. An excellent book. I am amazed at how much back story is in it. Lots of quotes from the ACG crew, many personal details and some excellent history. A little short on the horror but hey - ACG was a lot more than horror. smile.gif

One thing I like about it - there is not much "adoring prose" for ACG. Vance really approached it from a historical viewpoint.

If ACG is something that interests you, you can't go wrong. It is expensive at $80+ new, but check the used sections of Amazon and also check ebay etc.

Two recent books I enjoyed very much were "The Comic Book Makers" by Joe Simon and "The Golden Age of Comic Fandom" by Bill Schelly. Both are good reads!

I also recommend "The Sternako History of the Comics". Still a fun read! thumbsup2.gif

As Fuelman and Doiby Dickles both noted, "The Golden Age of Comic Fandom" is fantastic. I've recommended it on these boards before, and will do so again. It's the definitive tome about the earliest collectors (and dealers) of comics. Amazing to learn that guys like Marv Wolfman, Denny O'Neil and many other major influences on the evolution of comics, got their starts by writing letters to Julie Schwartz, Stan Lee, etc.

Not to mention the info about the first comic conventions...

It's all good, and well worth reading!

Per this thread, I just started reading the GA of Comic Fandom. popcorn.gif

"Men of Tomorrow" by Gerard Jones is a great read. I highly recommend it to whoever hasn't read it yet and wants to know all the inside dirt about the origin of the golden age of comics. Some of the stuff isn't very pretty.

Here's alink to a cheap ebay auction.

web page