• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books About Comic Books

40 posts in this topic

So, I figure that I'll post this request here, as it's my firm belief that the GA crowd is the most knowledgeable and scholarly group of comicfans.

grin.gif

Anybody know of any good books about comic books? Something other than the silly "Comics For Dummies" sort of thing. Here's the few I've read, but am looking for more stuff to sink my teeth into.

Tales of Terror! The EC Companion by Fred von Bernewitz/Grant Geissman--more of a glorified picture book, but pretty good nonetheless

Comic Book Nation by Bradford Wright--pretty solid survey of the history of comics, 1933-on.

Pulp Demons: Internation Dimesnions of the Postware Anti-Comics Campaign, edited by John Lent--A collection of articles about Wertham and the Comics Code

Seal of Approval by Amy Nyberg---More on the code, this time by a single author

Ghastly Terror by Stephen Sennit--Ghastly book! Some good pics, but absolutely dreadful writing.

Forbidden Adventures: This history of the American Comics Group by Michael Vance. This is my favorite book of the bunch by far. A pioneering work on ACG, well-written and genuinely informative.

Anybody know of any others? I'd even be interested in reading about eras other than GA if the publications are solid. Are have you read anything wretched that I and fellow forumites should be warned away from? Post your books!!

there are a few publications regarding Classics COmics/Illustrateds. The best one for information is "Classics Illustrated, A cultural History, with illustrations" by W.B. Jones

That was even a FInal Jeopardy question that Mr Jennings missed.

Now that I am getting back into scanning and with different equipment I could use some help in determining good settings. How many pixels per inch is good for internet file? the default is 150 but I brought it down to 64 for this one

602680-CICulturalhistory2.jpg.ab9babb0d5ff1f960e109df89ab7acb6.jpg

Mike Benton did a good book called THE ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF HORROR COMICS. Covers everything from pre-code to modern. cloud9.gif

I think Benton did a series of these books in addition to Horror: SciFi, Superhero, etc. Anyone know how many of these there are?

. Think the title is Between the Panels

Yup, the title is Comics: Between the Panels, and Golden Age fans will love the in depth histories given to the great Pedigree collections. The Mile High entry alone is worth the price of the book.

All In Color For a Dime is good, The Comic Book Book by the same people is even better, and I highly recommend The Golden Age of Comics Fandom by Bill Schelly. Some wonderful pics of fandoms early days-and the wonderful comic book collections these people had.

I'll second the Steranko and Don Thompson books. thumbsup2.gif

Likewise, the just-mentioned Comics: Between the Panels is pretty impressive as a light, breezy encyclopedia about a number of comics topics.

For more recent comics, the first 2 collected editions of Comic Book Artist are fine stuff (they cover Marvel and DC roughly 1968-1975). Round it out as a trilogy with the Warren Companion from the same publisher, TwoMorrows Inc, and you have quite the late Silver / early Bronze Age overview.

Finally, I also recently discovered a British import which is kind of the "Rolling Stone Record Guide" of comic books: look on eBay or Amazon for the "Slings and Arrows" guide. It covers which issues of which books are worth reading (taking no notice at all of collectability value shocked.gifinsane.gif). It's highly biased towards more recent comics with more literary aspirations. (Perhaps not surprisingly, the British invasion that led to Vertigo and the like come off very well here).

Les Daniels has a book called Comix: a History of the Comic Book in America (or something like that) that has some good information in it. Also as previously mentioned the Steranko and Thompson/Lupoff books are excellent. As Zonker mentioned, "Slings and Arrows" is great reading even if you don't agree with all of their reviews.

Two recent books I enjoyed very much were "The Comic Book Makers" by Joe Simon and "The Golden Age of Comic Fandom" by Bill Schelly. Both are good reads!

I also recommend "The Sternako History of the Comics". Still a fun read! thumbsup2.gif

If you're looking for the Steranko History of Comics (which you should be smile.gif ), I'm sure that it would be accessible through inter-library loan if your local library doesn't have it. I believe Steranko still sells Volume 2, but I believe Volume 1 is sold out.

Two recent books I enjoyed very much were "The Comic Book Makers" by Joe Simon and "The Golden Age of Comic Fandom" by Bill Schelly. Both are good reads!

I also recommend "The Sternako History of the Comics". Still a fun read! thumbsup2.gif

As Fuelman and Doiby Dickles both noted, "The Golden Age of Comic Fandom" is fantastic. I've recommended it on these boards before, and will do so again. It's the definitive tome about the earliest collectors (and dealers) of comics. Amazing to learn that guys like Marv Wolfman, Denny O'Neil and many other major influences on the evolution of comics, got their starts by writing letters to Julie Schwartz, Stan Lee, etc.

Not to mention the info about the first comic conventions...

It's all good, and well worth reading!

As Fuelman and Doiby Dickles both noted, "The Golden Age of Comic Fandom" is fantastic. I've recommended it on these boards before, and will do so again. It's the definitive tome about the earliest collectors (and dealers) of comics. Amazing to learn that guys like Marv Wolfman, Denny O'Neil and many other major influences on the evolution of comics, got their starts by writing letters to Julie Schwartz, Stan Lee, etc.

Not to mention the info about the first comic conventions...

It's all good, and well worth reading!

Garthgantu: My new, best friend! hail.gif

The book is great! Loved the photo of Howard M. Rogofsky. First time I ever saw what he looked like. Bought XMen # 1 from him in 1970 ( or it may have been Robert Bell). Anyway, bought from both of them.

LMAO when I read Howard was chased out of an early convention by an angry collector with a knife. This was his last public apperance. 27_laughing.gif

Also, since reading this, I've gone back through some early issues of The Justice League of America to read Roy Thomas and other's letters to the Editor. Names and full addresses included. This is how Fandom really got off it's feet: people began to write to each other. Too cool !

If you're looking for the Steranko History of Comics (which you should be smile.gif ), I'm sure that it would be accessible through inter-library loan if your local library doesn't have it. I believe Steranko still sells Volume 2, but I believe Volume 1 is sold out.

Copies are sold on Ebay often. $15.00 to $25.00 each is about the going rate. Get a nice new copy of # 2 from Steranko and pick up the # 1 off Ebay. Then sit back and enjoy! thumbsup2.gif

A suggestion made by Poverty Row in another thread:

If you do like pre-code horror I suggest you spend $25 and get the complete set of Terreology (Tales To Terrible To tell). it is one of my precode horror bibles. Was put out by New England Comics but it ended prematurely at issue 11. An absolutely amazing resource even with the quick ending (I am seeking the real backstory behind why it suddenly ceased - will post when I find out).

New England Comics

The creators started by outlining the precode horror publishers, then selected one publsiher (or 2 or 3 if output was small) per isue and talked about each one. It also includes b&w repros of the stories, cover galleries (color on back and B&W in the middle) and a real letters page (the first was fake and they made no bones about it - was most EC in feel).

If anyone has an interest in pre-code horror and has a spare $25, you can get 11 comics specializing in that, with several stories per book and cover galleries and pages of dissertation for $2.28 each. Amazing!

I am in no way affiliated with NEC or TTTTT. I am just someone who, when the books first came out, was a diehard precode fan.

And by gawd - I will find out why they stopped with issue 11.