• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

would you buy JIM 83 at this price?

10 posts in this topic

local LCS had a pretty sweet lookin journey into mystery 83 on the shelf so I asked to look at it, didn't take long to figure out the cover was a photocopy.

so no cover on a book with an inside of probably a 4.0-5.0, so inside is in pretty good shape, but the price he has on it makes me :(

he wants 500 bucks for it :insane:

Id love to have a copy of this book, but basically it is a coverless book, and though he has never ever sent in a submission to CGC and knows virtually nothing about them, he assures me that book will grade out at a 2.0 :screwy:

does anyone know what the best grade a book without a cover has received? if I send the book in as is, its coming back with a restored header, if I take the cover off, im wondering if it will get anything better than a .05

thoughts?

CGC changed their policy on photocopy covers on real books; time was, you could get an actual grade on the label, I think they were green labels. Now, it's NG for No Grade.

I don't know the market for a coverless JIM83, but I'd say that $500 isn't wholly out of bounds...

Its just me but Id always rather have a lower grade complete book, than a better condition coverless one or one with a married cover.

I'd just put the $500 towards finding a complete raw very low grade copy.

$500 for a coverless copy is too much in my opinion.

If you want it, offer him $300-$350 cash tops.

Or, save for a better copy. There is a 1.8 in the sales forum right now

That's right, there is a CGC-graded 1.8 on the sales forum for about $1,200. It's a very nice-looking 1.8. So $500 for a coverless JIM83 isn't completely unreasonable. Try to knock him down to $400 or $450.