• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off Topic-The post office opens your media mail.

42 posts in this topic

Mailing a book today and the lady said that they are randomly opening packages that are sent as media mail to make sure you aren't mailing something classified as something else. It kind of surprised me. Already had my package sealed. She said if I hadn't sealed it she could've approved it and they would definitely not open it. (Yeah, right)

So, are the media mail savy people here aware of this?

Taking the hit from the delivery speed and the "inspections" are all inherent in the media rate service.

BTW, after SIX FREAKIN MONTHS on the road, my CGC book came back from AUSTRALIA (buyer never picked it up) and the book and CGC case were ALL INTACT. Speaks volumes of my bomb-proof shipping!!!

Still will use UPS for domestic. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I had the post office crack open my media mail packages two weeks ago because they didn't believe me when I said I was mailing comic books (they asked what was in the boxes, I didn't just volunteer the info). They just gave me this blank stare and the clerk asked, "why would you be mailing THAT?"

Yeah.. I would think many here will say that Media mail is a valid way to go..as long as what you are mailing does not contain advertisements.

Media mail was created to mail books(correct?), and I think Comic Books are a fairly new phenom, so while most comics mailed are dated.. and the ads are no longer valid..

If a modern comic is mailed.. media mail, with Vaild current advertisements, then is that a violation of Media Mail criteria?

Best suggestion I can reccomend is to get to know your post master.. better yet.. become on good terms with your post master.. ask him what is allowed, and not allowed.

He will more then likely be very honest, and inform you with what you need to know to avoid this problem in the future.

Ze-

Proper procedure is to have you bring it in unsealed. If it is sealed, we have YOU open it for inspection but we are allowed to open media mail if we need to.

This policy is fairly new and was caused by the loss of revenue by people mailing things as media that simply were not media. Thank Ebay! I hope they end it soon though, cause it can slow a line down and it's slow enough at the Post Office.

We have actually had people refuse to open their packages. Heck, if it's just books or tapes, why not open them?

If a modern comic is mailed.. media mail, with Vaild current advertisements, then is that a violation of Media Mail criteria?

Ze-

Yes, it is a violation, as far as individuals mailing them. A large place could probably get a newspaper permit and mail them (like Time and Newsweek).

The lady at the post office lied - unless you happen to be mailing at a "major" hub. The local run-of-the-mill offices cannot inspect, only the 'regional' offices or some such. If you are lucky enough to be near a regional office - by all means go to the PO with the package open and let them inspect it. Make sure it gets marked that it has been inspected, or the next regional office that sees it may open it. (This is what I have been told locally).

They concentrate on large boxes, especially insured, or smaller heavy boxes. Too many people using the service to mail stuff like car parts. I have had two packages opened, and they care not about repacking the boxes.

Worst of all, some regions allow comic books as media mail, and some do not. I think that the official call is that we are in the right using media mail for old comics, with 'expired' advertising. But, new books with ads are a no-no, and Mile High using USPS BOUND-PRINTED-MATTER class mail for new book subscriptions is the tell-tale sign. TPBs sould be just fine as media mail, though, since there are no ads.

Bottom line: My buyers need to tell me that they accept responsibility for packages mailed Bound-printed and media mail. These two services are for stuff that you do not care about.

Mailing a book today and the lady said that they are randomly opening packages that are sent as media mail to make sure you aren't mailing something classified as something else. It kind of surprised me. Already had my package sealed. She said if I hadn't sealed it she could've approved it and they would definitely not open it. (Yeah, right)

So, are the media mail savy people here aware of this?

Yeah.. I would think many here will say that Media mail is a valid way to go..as long as what you are mailing does not contain advertisements.

Media mail was created to mail books(correct?), and I think Comic Books are a fairly new phenom, so while most comics mailed are dated.. and the ads are no longer valid..

Best suggestion I can reccomend is to get to know your post master.. better yet.. become on good terms with your post master.. ask him what is allowed, and not allowed.

He will more then likely be very honest, and inform you with what you need to know to avoid this problem in the future.

Ze-

The only problem with talking to your PM is that he may see the rule differently than the PM in the destination zip. Both are well within their rights to determine what is media mail for thier zip code. Media mail is a gamble and there really is nothing that can be done about it...you have all of the jerks that abuse the system for the crackdown...people sending autoparts and things that are not even close to "media" via media mail...and now comics suffer since we may or may not be skirting the rule..

you have all of the jerks that abuse the system for the crackdown...people sending autoparts and things that are not even close to "media" via media mail...and now comics suffer since we may or may not be skirting the rule..

What is it with auto parts? I recall that the carry-on luggage crackdown was due in part to some bozo hauling a BMW transaxle on as carry-on... screwy.gif

Unless you bring up Bound Printed Matter. smile.gif

That's what I ask sellers to ship by whenever they say they'll do media mail--I ask them to do bound printed matter instead. Almost exactly the same cost--I think it's like 5 or 10 cents more than Media--yet comics with ads shouldn't be an issue.

Anything over $50 or so, I try to not use media or bound printed matter, but anything under that, I don't mind. If I really want some $5 comic on ebay, I don't see why I'd pay $7 to ship it Priority...it kills the usefulness of buying cheaper books via mail.

Since we're talking about mailing comics, let me ask you guys-

Last night, I boxed up some comics to send to CGC. I figured I'd mail it in the morning on my way to work. When I got there though, the hours on the door had been changed, therefore they wouldn't be open until after I got to work. So from 8:30 - 4:30 my comics were in my car in some dry, hot Kansas 90 degree weather. Oh sure, they were sandwiched between cardboard, and surrounded by styrofoam peanuts, all encased in a larger cardboard box, but I can't help but worry that despite all that, they may have suffered a bit in that heat. (Plus, the packing tape on the box was curling up a bit at certain places, but was that just a case of not-strong-enough tape?). I try to tell myself that everybody's packages have the problem mine had by just sitting in a USPS truck driving all through the county, and being in my car that long couldn't be any worse than what happens to them going through the mail system.

Should I be worried at all? confused-smiley-013.gif

Should I be worried at all? confused-smiley-013.gif

One day in the car is no big deal...temperature and humidity damage takes effect over years, not hours. The ideal environment is definitely a stable one, and transporting them around in a car--which is what all dealers do--is not ideal. But it takes so long for damage to occur that the effect of a day or two in the hot is nothing you'd ever notice.

Having said that, when I pick up package from the post office before going to work, I do take them with me into the office. Though the effects are minimal, I've got no real reason to leave them in the crappy environment of my car all day; a 75-degree office building is better than a 90-degree car.