• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

That there's a man-made method using a machine is the rub.

Now I'm confused.

Quit stealing my birthday thunder.

This hobbies collectors are honestly so oblivious, it will be our demise. I don't know if the market was manipulated for UHG grade books or what in the beginning. How do you pay $xxxxxx.xx for a .2 grade bump from an INCONSISTENT grading company? If these insane prices werent being paid for books that look basically the same at 9.2/4/6 on any given day at CGC, we wouldn't be here fighting about pressing. Pressing wouldn't be the end all in making money hand over fist. Pressing would just be an option for those who want their books to present much nicer.

On this point, I agree with you. (thumbs u

This hobbies collectors are honestly so oblivious, it will be our demise. I don't know if the market was manipulated for UHG grade books or what in the beginning. How do you pay $xxxxxx.xx for a .2 grade bump from an INCONSISTENT grading company? If these insane prices werent being paid for books that look basically the same at 9.2/4/6 on any given day at CGC, we wouldn't be here fighting about pressing. Pressing wouldn't be the end all in making money hand over fist. Pressing would just be an option for those who want their books to present much nicer.

I think that many people would rather have a trustworthy (if not occasionally inconsistent) 3rd party grader review a book than rely solely on someone with a motive to make money off of selling or buying the book. The grade doesn't have to be the end all be all, but it can be an aid when buying/shopping from a distance and the census provides invaluable information on what really is/isn't rare in a certain grade.

But I guess if you have the free time and money to travel to every location and view each book you buy in hand for yourself, then I have nothing but respect for your position, and you are right it IS very tough to see why CGC would be necessary. But for me personally (I can't speak for anyone else), I agree that it would be great if CGC (or any third party grader) were 100% consistent every single time and that their views line up exactly with my own. But I don't have the time or money to go view each book in hand before buying, sometimes I like to be able to buy something where I am REASONABLY assured of the grade (and therefore) the approximate value of something I am buying, even if I can't view it first in person. So I don't feel like CGC is suckering me, they're providing a service (at a price) that makes comic buying and more convenient for selling for me, reducing (not completely eliminating) the grade uncertainty and arguments that might otherwise occur. And I don't think that this opinion is unreasonable or unique to myself.

Yes this has the side effect of tons of pressed comics, but the majority of market has decided that the price of relative universal grading consistency is worth more than 'not pressing'.

Why confusing? At the source, it's because it's undetectable, whereas almost all other forms of restoration can be found.

And all other forms of restoration get the PLOD treatment. If CGC had decided to give the PLOD to pressed books, that would have cut that :censored: out real quick like. But, due to practical issues (having to speculate at times on detection) and business considerations, CGC embraced pressing instead of giving it the scarlet label treatment.

Look at the books in my sig--like most of my collection, they're old label. Even the #1 is old label--it just got reholdered at some point, original date of grading is 2000. So I guess if I sell them, I HAVE to press. Or just lose many thousands that other collectors who press have lined their pockets with and decreased the value of my grades by. :makepoint:

I sold off a good number of my slabs a number of years ago, but I still have more than 200 remaining. Almost all of them are old label books (and, yes, while pressing did exist back in those days, given that these books largely aren't squashed and have obvious pressable defects, I'd bet that very few were...excepting those purchased from one particular dealer who was an early adopter of pressing - not sure about those). I'd wager that most of the books could be straight re-subbed for a straight grade bump, given how far CGC's grading standards have fallen (my grading eye is stuck in 2004, which is when I stopped buying slabs regularly, so the contrast between ye olde standards and the new standards is very stark to me).

Anyway, it is a conundrum what to do with these books, as I not only oppose pressing, but I think the grading standards that have been in effect since I stopped buying slabs are also appalling by themselves. I have no desire to press books nor to stick a 9.8 label on something that I believe to be a 9.6, or a 9.6 label on something I believe to be a 9.2 or 9.4. And yet, if I don't do something, I know I'm leaving money on the table as a seller (which is abhorrent to my capitalist instincts). :frustrated:

You capitalist pig! :baiting:lol

At least someone does :P

Why confusing? At the source, it's because it's undetectable, whereas almost all other forms of restoration can be found.

And all other forms of restoration get the PLOD treatment. If CGC had decided to give the PLOD to pressed books, that would have cut that :censored: out real quick like. But, due to practical issues (having to speculate at times on detection) and business considerations, CGC embraced pressing instead of giving it the scarlet label treatment.

Look at the books in my sig--like most of my collection, they're old label. Even the #1 is old label--it just got reholdered at some point, original date of grading is 2000. So I guess if I sell them, I HAVE to press. Or just lose many thousands that other collectors who press have lined their pockets with and decreased the value of my grades by. :makepoint:

I sold off a good number of my slabs a number of years ago, but I still have more than 200 remaining. Almost all of them are old label books (and, yes, while pressing did exist back in those days, given that these books largely aren't squashed and have obvious pressable defects, I'd bet that very few were...excepting those purchased from one particular dealer who was an early adopter of pressing - not sure about those). I'd wager that most of the books could be straight re-subbed for a straight grade bump, given how far CGC's grading standards have fallen (my grading eye is stuck in 2004, which is when I stopped buying slabs regularly, so the contrast between ye olde standards and the new standards is very stark to me).

Anyway, it is a conundrum what to do with these books, as I not only oppose pressing, but I think the grading standards that have been in effect since I stopped buying slabs are also appalling by themselves. I have no desire to press books nor to stick a 9.8 label on something that I believe to be a 9.6, or a 9.6 label on something I believe to be a 9.2 or 9.4. And yet, if I don't do something, I know I'm leaving money on the table as a seller (which is abhorrent to my capitalist instincts). :frustrated:

Sell them as is. By the time you factor in resubs fees (pressing/grading/shipping) on all those books, you wouldn't be leaving money on the table - but you could refurnish your pad with new kitchen appliances and a big screen T.V.

Sell them as is. By the time you factor in resubs fees (pressing/grading/shipping) on all those books, you wouldn't be leaving money on the table - but you could refurnish your pad with new kitchen appliances and a big screen T.V.

I'll CPR them for him.

But, due to practical issues (having to speculate at times on detection) and business considerations, CGC embraced pressing instead of giving it the scarlet label treatment.

CGC embraced pressing due to SCS. IMO, it's really that simple.

If your holder is damaging books, you need to be able to 'fix' that shi t.

Look at the books in my sig--like most of my collection, they're old label. Even the #1 is old label--it just got reholdered at some point, original date of grading is 2000. So I guess if I sell them, I HAVE to press. Or just lose a few thousand that other collectors have lined their pockets with and decreased the value of my grades by. :makepoint:

:gossip: old label books seem to be the ones that sell for over GPA (thinking of various CLINK auctions), based on buyers speculating on a possible higher grade post press :gossip:

Grade bump with a straight submission. :gossip:

Look at the books in my sig--like most of my collection, they're old label. Even the #1 is old label--it just got reholdered at some point, original date of grading is 2000. So I guess if I sell them, I HAVE to press. Or just lose a few thousand that other collectors have lined their pockets with and decreased the value of my grades by. :makepoint:

:gossip: old label books seem to be the ones that sell for over GPA (thinking of various CLINK auctions), based on buyers speculating on a possible higher grade post press :gossip:

It's not as often as you think.

In my SS days, it was almost a guarantee. :gossip:

In my SS days, it was almost a guarantee. :gossip:

You have better luck than I do.

I almost always get a PQ bump but grade bumps are pretty rare.