• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

******SPOILERS****** Avengers #502 *****SPOILERS******

84 posts in this topic

JSA Adventures. It was just "okay".

If you are a Marvel fan, which you obviously are, I would not recommend that book as your first foray into modern DC comics as it is designed to appeal to fans like Ian Levine, who like old school DCs.

If you really want to get into modern DCs... here are some suggestions...

- Batman 608-619

- Superman 204 - present

- Superman/Batman 1- present

- Identity Crisis 1- present

- Teen Titans 1-present

- Green Arrow 1-16 (by Kevin Smith)

- Flash 164-present (by Geoff Johns)

- JLA #1-? (Grant Morrison to start, then Mark Waid)

One retro suggestion would be for you to go back and check out Alex Ross' excellent Kingdom Come mini-series.

A fun book visually is Alan Davis' JLA: The Nail and it's sequel JLA: Another Nail.

If you want to try something different, take a look at Darwyn Cooke's DCU: The New Frontier.

I haven't bashed DC in months and I even recently bought my first DC comic in years just to see what all the hype was about. To be honest I didn't think much of it and it just reminded me of the same stuff I read as a kid.

Which one?

I think that was SUPPOSED to remind you of the "same stuff you read as a kid." I believe that's a series with a decidedly "retro" feel. I mean, Ian really likes it. confused-smiley-013.gif

- Batman 608-619

- Superman 204 - present

- Teen Titans 1-present

Of those (that I've read. I haven't read the Flash or Green Arrow), I'm thinking Morrison's JLA might be the best "starter" book. It's fun as heck, you meet a lot of the heavy hitters in the DCU and... it's fun as heck. I'm buying those in trade as we speak. Not having those was a real hole in my library. Superman/Batman would be my second choice.

- Batman 608-619

- Superman 204 - present

- Teen Titans 1-present

Of those (that I've read. I haven't read the Flash or Green Arrow), I'm thinking Morrison's JLA might be the best "starter" book. It's fun as heck, you meet a lot of the heavy hitters in the DCU and... it's fun as heck. I'm buying those in trade as we speak. Not having those was a real hole in my library. Superman/Batman would be my second choice.

The Green Arrow run is EXCELLENT. I enjoyed it a great deal. I can't remember WHY right now, but I'll pull it out, give it another read, and let you know. You should check it out, Rob. As I remember, it was some very, very solid storytelling with an fun "angle" (Ollie having just returned from the dead, 'natch).

I'd avoid that Batman garbage like the plague, though.

I'm suggesting that she has expanded her powers to the level that she has created a massive hex-sphere around Avengers Mansion and causing a series of improbable events to occur within (which is why Shield couldn't see the Kree ships - they didn't exist outside of the sphere). The only event to occur outside of the radius of the mansion is what happened to Tony Stark at the UN, which would not have been hard to cause if you were able to get close to him before he left.

Umm...Scarlet Witch was at the U.N. when Tony had his breakdown. Interestingly her face is shadowed for this page. Hmmm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

604564-avengers.jpg

604564-avengers.jpg.135ca87e0730cdbf0e70f27b4b2ff913.jpg

I'd avoid that Batman garbage like the plague, though.

Remember, these are supposed to be books that would appeal to a Marvel zombie like the Surfer. I think the Jim Lee Batman stuff holds a lot of appeal for that type of fan as it is mostly style over substance, and Batman is a character that everyone agrees can be cool, even the Marvel Zombies. Hopefully it will lead them to better books.

The only event to occur outside of the radius of the mansion is what happened to Tony Stark at the UN, which would not have been hard to cause if you were able to get close to him before he left.

In Captain America/Falcon, they show Cap confronting Wanda about "last night's events" outside the room where Tony Stark and Pym are getting ready for Starks' speech before the UN. And she denies the whole thing to Cap, acting somewhat cold confused-smiley-013.gif so maybe she is causing these events somehow. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In Captain America/Falcon, they show Cap confronting Wanda about "last night's events" outside the room where Tony Stark and Pym are getting ready for Starks' speech before the UN. And she denies the whole thing to Cap, acting somewhat cold so maybe she is causing these events somehow.

The cover to Avengers 503 is Cap squatting in front of a bunch of wreckage and relics. I guess that's when the "burning sensation" hits his mid-section and he is doubled over in pain, one of Wanda's many surprises...

His left hand is preparing to vigorously scratch the infected area.

"...welcome to the wonderful world of Disassembled!"

Wanda's headband is right behind him on the ground.

The only event to occur outside of the radius of the mansion is what happened to Tony Stark at the UN, which would not have been hard to cause if you were able to get close to him before he left.

In Captain America/Falcon, they show Cap confronting Wanda about "last night's events" outside the room where Tony Stark and Pym are getting ready for Starks' speech before the UN. And she denies the whole thing to Cap, acting somewhat cold confused-smiley-013.gif so maybe she is causing these events somehow. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

or maybe it's not Wanda, but someone who has taken control of her body. That would explain why she denies the involvement with Cap, as well as the whole mess going on. If that person has expanded upon her abilities.

The Green Arrow run is EXCELLENT. I enjoyed it a great deal. I can't remember WHY right now, but I'll pull it out, give it another read, and let you know.

Is it because you are a Kevin Smith fanboy? tongue.gif

frustrated.gif "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" SUCKED! But I did like his Daredevil run a lot...

What can all this MEAN, Darth!?!?

If you are a Marvel fan, which you obviously are, I would not recommend that book as your first foray into modern DC comics as it is designed to appeal to fans like Ian Levine, who like old school DCs.

If you really want to get into modern DCs... here are some suggestions...

- Batman 608-619

- Superman 204 - present

- Teen Titans 1-present

One retro suggestion would be for you to go back and check out Alex Ross' excellent Kingdom Come mini-series.

A fun book visually is Alan Davis' JLA: The Nail and it's sequel JLA: Another Nail.

If you want to try something different, take a look at Darwyn Cooke's DCU: The New Frontier.

Kevin,

Appreciate that kind of list as I prefer the superhero stuff. I still have a bunch of Teen Titans from the early 80's that I use to enjoy and I will give those books a shot. thumbsup2.gif

I'm suggesting that she has expanded her powers to the level that she has created a massive hex-sphere around Avengers Mansion and causing a series of improbable events to occur within (which is why Shield couldn't see the Kree ships - they didn't exist outside of the sphere). The only event to occur outside of the radius of the mansion is what happened to Tony Stark at the UN, which would not have been hard to cause if you were able to get close to him before he left.

Umm...Scarlet Witch was at the U.N. when Tony had his breakdown. Interestingly her face is shadowed for this page. Hmmm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The more I think about it...having SW's chaos magic go hay-wire could be interesting. It would also help explain how a previously competent writer can't find proper charaterizations with a backhoe.

I say if this is the case then go with the flow and try to wrap up more unfinished Avengers business. Let's turn this thing around and think of some hanging plot threads that were never adequately answered.

The book is starting to make a bit of sense or am I just wishful thinking.