• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ms Marvel comes alive

51 posts in this topic

now here's an auction i never figured on seeing; Ms Marvel #18 (first mystique) in 9.8 with 5 days to go, already at 51x's 9.2 guide. heaven help us............ devil.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2270941864&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

This is obviously yet another sign of the impending crash everyone likes to talk about. poke2.gif

And...Reserve not met! 893whatthe.gif

I believe that DiceX set a healthy reserve based on what several people (including me) told him the book would likely realize at auction. He's just protecting his baby.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that he's doing so well with it.

Speaking as an old person, though, it is very difficult for me to get my mind around the fact that an issue of Ms. Marvel is selling for >$1k! I think that was Burntboy's point as well.

I hope this brings more out into auction, because this book has murder to find.

I've been scaning for a 9.4 copy of this for awhile with no luck...

this is a nice book, but I'll be damned if I pay that much for one.

But if it's Dice I hope he gets what he wants. smile.gif

Will it help if the reason it's selling for 1,000+ is not really about Ms. Marvel at all?

I don't think that it is about Mystique either. I think it is the guys that have to have the "One of...." (ie the only one at 9.8). Just my opinion. Some of these guys that bid on this stuff aren't even true "comic" collectors, they are collectors of rarities. makepoint.gif

Will it help if the reason it's selling for 1,000+ is not really about Ms. Marvel at all?

I don't think that it is about Mystique either. I think it is the guys that have to have the "One of...." (ie the only one at 9.8). Just my opinion. Some of these guys that bid on this stuff aren't even true "comic" collectors, they are collectors of rarities. makepoint.gif

There may be some sliver of truth to what you're saying (as in these nebulous people you infer may in fact exist), but, there's no way any 1/1 9.8 Ms. Marvel is going to make even $100 unless it's this book. It's that simple. A random 9.9 Ms. Marvel would probably have a hard time making what NM copies of #18 have made raw, so to say that it's about not about Mystique is just false. It's selling for what it's selling for because it's a key book and it's a key book because it's the first appearance of Mystique.

I hope this brings more out into auction, because this book has murder to find.

I've been scaning for a 9.4 copy of this for awhile with no luck...

this is a nice book, but I'll be damned if I pay that much for one.

But if it's Dice I hope he gets what he wants. smile.gif

There is a 9.4 for sale on ComicLink right now. confused-smiley-013.gif

As the current high bidder, I will tell you why the bids on this book are where they are. It is because it is top census and the first full Mystique appearance (a character who has had huge roles in the first two X-Men movies and will continue to have big roles in any sequels) and the book is one of the later issues in a title that sold horribly and was under-subscribed when it came out, and that was cancelled a few issues later. To top it all off, it has a black cover. It is MUCH harder to find in high grade than the other Marvel books from this timeframe.

it's a key book because it's the first appearance of Mystique.

Who? sleeping.gif

I don't think the bar for characters whose first appearance constitutes a "key issue" could get any lower. confused-smiley-013.gif

Have CGC premiums on REAL key books driven collectors to increasingly value 3rd rate first appearances? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

it's a key book because it's the first appearance of Mystique.

Who? sleeping.gif

I don't think the bar for characters whose first appearance constitutes a "key issue" could get any lower. confused-smiley-013.gif

Have CGC premiums on REAL key books driven collectors to increasingly value 3rd rate first appearances? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think it's 3rd rate at all. She's prominently featured in both of the X-Men films, she's been a significant X-character for something like 25 years, she's got her own book and she's Nightcrawler's mom. If Sabertooth's first appearance is a big deal, then this book should be too.

I think the book is underappreciated and have thought so for a while.

now here's an auction i never figured on seeing; Ms Marvel #18 (first mystique) in 9.8 with 5 days to go, already at 51x's 9.2 guide. heaven help us............ devil.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2270941864&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

As for guide price. It's been behind for a long time.

Even raw VF/NM copies go for $30-$60.

As for higher grade...The last CGC 9.6 sold for over $500.

Raw high grade? Link

And a fine seller to say the least. I hope the guy got what he paid for.

hi.gif

I don't think it's 3rd rate at all. She's prominently featured in both of the X-Men films, she's been a significant X-character for something like 25 years, she's got her own book and she's Nightcrawler's mom. If Sabertooth's first appearance is a big deal, then this book should be too.

I watched both X-Men films and had no idea "Mystique" was in them nor that she was a significant character for 25 years. confused-smiley-013.gif And if, I as a comics fan, have no clue, what is the general public's awareness of Mystique?

At the risk of sounding like Joe C, my point is this: this is the perfect example of a book that comic fans geek out over now due to movie hype and a CGC label -- all factors which taken alone do not bode well for long term value and appreciation. Does anyone REALLY think this character has the following and staying power to draw collectors in the future? 20 years from now will anyone give a rat's about Mystique? Obviously some folks are willing to bet over $1,000 this book has legs. I'm not one of them.